Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Miami Vice!!!

1. It changed television forever with the "feature film" like feel to the show. On a weekly basis...NBC was showing a "movie" that went beyond the usual TV format. How many shows can you name, that started a fashion trend. The clothes, not shaving, no socks...for better or worse, Miami Vice did that and no other show has come close to the same sort of fan trend setting.

2. The music on the show was absolutely fantastic and Jan Hammer really created a true soundtrack to the Miami Vice, as opposed to the countless TV shows that just have a "filler" soundtrack. Jan Hammer was every bit as important as Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. Without Hammer... Miami Vice wouldn't have been Miami Vice. I actually just purchased Jan Hammer:The Complete Miami Vice Collection. A 2 CD collection of his songs for the show. Amazing and it still holds up, in terms of trance music. Who the hell do you think Moby was influenced by. I will tell you...Jan Hammer and Tangerine Dream. I constantly hear Jan Hammer and Tangerine Dream...in this supposed brilliance of Moby and his music.

3. The show was written very well. Movie like quality scripts. Yes...there were some bad episodes in the later seasons...but still better than most of the shows out there. In fact...many of the writers, directors and producers...have gone on to bigger and better things in Hollywood now. Like Dick Wolf, Abel Ferrera, David Anspaugh, Daniel Pyne, etc. The guest stars on the show is unbelieveable. Practically a who's who...of huge stars today. Everyone was on Vice.

4. Michael Mann is GOD. Heat, Thief, The Insider, Manhunter, Last of The Mohicans, Ali. Brilliant director and screenwriter.

Miami Vice helped create what is common today in TV. A movie like feel for a TV show, which many shows copy. Love Miami Vice or hate it...you can't deny the impact that it made on TV, the public and music for TV shows.

Slowpoke

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Nah...The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, All in the Family, and The Simpsons were all more influencial (and better) shows.

I think that Miami Vice was a "hip", "cool" show in the '80s, but to say that it movie-quality scripts? I disagree.

And if you want to find the origin for "gritty", realistic, almost movie-like dramas that populate the current TV schedules? Look no further than Hill Street Blues.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are wrong fella. While the shows you mentioned are great, they didn't cause the change of television in a freakish way and every show after it. People were not watching these shows and trying to look and act like the characters...like people were doing with Vice. People were buying the clothes, not shaving anymore and not wearing socks!!!

As for the scripts...many of the scripts could have been made into a feature film...just like Heat, could have been broken down and made into a Miami Vice episode. I have all the episodes of Vice...without commercials and they feel like mini films to me. They are directed by a lot of feature film directors and I think that they bring that quality to the show. Even former NBC President Brandon Tartikoff said in his biography that Miami Vice was like nothing ever on television before and that Miami Vice was a weekly one hour movie. He praised that show as one of his happiest moments of his time at NBC. That he was able to be a part of such a historically changing television show.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh ya...one more thing. EVERY SINGLE SHOW TODAY...COPIES FROM MIAMI VICE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. FROM USE OF ACTUAL MUSIC TO FEATURE FILM STYLE DIRECTING FOR A TV SHOW.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Miami Vice was awesome!!!! I love that show!

I agree about it having the best soundtrack! I have never heard any show have music half as good as Miami Vice did. 80's rock rules! You have good taste Slowpoke. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MIAMI VICE RULED!!!!
    My personal favorite episode(s) was the cliffhanger (season finale) when Crockett got amnesia and became a hit-man for a drug-dealer. (Julia Roberts was his girlfriend in the 1st part of the season ender-she hit it big with Pretty Woman during that Summer-then didn't return for the opening of the next season!) Damn, I even like Sheena Easton's episodes! That was a drag when the series ended (the series finale was a little weak), but there's hope on the horizon: It's been optioned for the movies-no word on whether the originals will star in it.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Miami Vice was the best show ever!!!!!

Evan was one of my favorite shows.

Bruce Willis was in one that was great as well.

Hey slowpoke, how did you get all of the shows without commercials????

I have all of the double shows that you can purchase from columbia house or whatever, but I would be really interested in where to get all of the other shows!!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can find just about any television-series collected (taped at home) without commercials on eBay, if you want to pay the price they go for. I've tried to bid on complete Simpsons and complete 60's animated Spider-man cartoons and they usually go for $75-$100 a pop.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    MIAMI VICE RULED!!!!
    My personal favorite episode(s) was the cliffhanger (season finale) when Crockett got amnesia and became a hit-man for a drug-dealer. (Julia Roberts was his girlfriend in the 1st part of the season ender-she hit it big with Pretty Woman during that Summer-then didn't return for the opening of the next season!) Damn, I even like Sheena Easton's episodes! That was a drag when the series ended (the series finale was a little weak), but there's hope on the horizon: It's been optioned for the movies-no word on whether the originals will star in it.
    Yes! Those are my favorite episodes too! When Crocket goes bad with amnesia and he shoots Tubbs.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ June 19, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: YankeeRose ]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought Miami Vice sucked [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Ride the Lightning
    Favorite VH Song

Pride in the name of love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mmmmmmmmmm.....Original 1966 Batman Gets Master Yoda going it does!!!!......mmmmmmmmM!
    puppet or CGI? Tough call.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Slowpoke:
    You are wrong fella. While the shows you mentioned are great, they didn't cause the change of television in a freakish way and every show after it. People were not watching these shows and trying to look and act like the characters...like people were doing with Vice. People were buying the clothes, not shaving anymore and not wearing socks!!!
    Yes, those other TV series DID have a big impact on the way subsequent shows were produced. I Love Lucy completely revolutionized the way sitcoms were made, with multiple cameras and large indoor, multi-room sets. All in the Family was the first TV comedy to introduce serious social and political issues. I could go on...

Sure Miami Vice started a fashion trend. How long did it last...about a year? There have been other TV shows and motion pictures that started fads. But did that necessarily make them important in the grand scheme of things?

I remember by 1987-88 the producers of Vice tried to give Crockett and Tubbs a fashion overhaul (their styles had grown old and arguably laughable by then) to renew interest in the show again. It's hardly something producers would do to something that "freakishly" changed television forever, even if it was only the fourth season.

As for the scripts...many of the scripts could have been made into a feature film...just like Heat, could have been broken down and made into a Miami Vice episode. I have all the episodes of Vice...without commercials and they feel like mini films to me. They are directed by a lot of feature film directors and I think that they bring that quality to the show. Even former NBC President Brandon Tartikoff said in his biography that Miami Vice was like nothing ever on television before and that Miami Vice was a weekly one hour movie. He praised that show as one of his happiest moments of his time at NBC. That he was able to be a part of such a historically changing television show.
    For the record, I watched Miami Vice whenever I could for the first 3-4 seasons. I loved it. I admit there were some pretty good episodes. They had flash and style, and the integration of entire songs by original artists was pretty unique (Tartikoff's original idea for the show was based on the premise of "MTV Cops", as he called it). But where are shows like this now? Name one series (that lasted longer than 13 weeks and weren't other networks' copycats) that was directly influenced by it.

Like I said, if you want to look at where modern dramas/cop shows derived from, take a peak at Steven Bochco's Hill Street Blues, a show that began a few years before Vice did. It was groundbreaking with it's realism, it's gritty feel, it's "documentary"-style camera work, "adult" scripts, it's emphasis on ensemble casts with many sub-plots instead of chronicling just one or two "super detectives" where every week's story gets wrapped up nice and tidy, and on and on. NYPD Blue, ER, Law and Order, and just about any other network drama follows Hill Street's lead.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I used to be totally addicted to Vice!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh ya...one more thing. EVERY SINGLE SHOW TODAY...COPIES FROM MIAMI VICE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. FROM USE OF ACTUAL MUSIC TO FEATURE FILM STYLE DIRECTING FOR A TV SHOW.
    in what way do the osbournes copy miami vice?
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Slowpoke:
    in what way do the osbournes copy miami vice?</font>[/QUOTE]Maybe the drug references and music so loud you can't hear the dialog?