Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to the Hagar/Roth Hartford show last night and I posted my review on the concert forum. I won't reiterate that review here. However I would like to recant past quotes that I made in this forum stating that "all I thought Roth and VH could do was a cash cow reunion tour" After last night I realized that it would be an embarrassment for VH to get on stage with Roth again. I understand the love for the music that Roth and VH did in the 70's/80's and people wanting to recapture that. Just listen to the Cd's because in a live setting, it's gone! Adding Eddie, Mike and Alex is not going to turn Roth from a sow's ear to a silk purse. I want VH to go on as a band and create new music. I don't know what lead singer that will happen with, but I know what lead singer it won't be with. If you guys truly love VH then you got to petition Eddie to start looking for some new guy that fits into the band. To twist an old Elvis concert phrase, "Roth's voice has left the building!!".

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince:
    To twist an old Elvis concert phrase, "Roth's voice has left the building!!".[/QB]
    Roth's voice was never in the building. It was never about his musicianship, it was about his spirit. Eddie provides the musicianship. Now Sammy has the better voice, but absolutely nothing he says is worth listening to. He has to be one of the worst lyricists in the history of rock. The spirit died in VH when Dave left.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you know what? i am actually tired of reading about/participating in the dave vs. sam debate... never thought i would get sick of it... but now i think enough is enough- i need to find some new hobbies... happy debating all- see ya'll when VH comes back...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Humans Being
    Last Online

10.26.13 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even when its wrong.
    Pick up the fucking phone Eddie and call someone!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I saw the show last night too. You don't have to petition Eddie, there's no way he's going on stage with Dave. My only regret is that I doubt I'll ever get to hear Eddie play those Dave era songs again live.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

09.03.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 59 Posts

I believe there's merit in what Vince says.

Now before anybody wets all over themselves...

In fairness Roth still stands tall on the pedestal of what was the greatest rock band of the 70's/80's. Undeniable it was a magic collaboration unique and bigger than life itself. Great lyrics, attitude, music... Hell a great celebration of life!!

That all ended 17+ years ago... with only a flicker of what was once a bonfire burning bright 6+ years ago.

Time marched on... Van Halen marched on... Dave marched the same path repeatedly but wore a groove so deep even his huge personality can't drag him past it anymore. IMO Dave's relevance today is only a nostalgic entertainment blip from the golden days of yesteryear.

IMO Dave fronting Van halen today in spandex and hair implants is just as pathetic as any of the half-assed attempts hair bands or glam bands doing reunion tours recently. There's nothing come from Dave in the last 10 years that indicates he has the creative viability to write quality music in the 21st century.

Thankfully Dave is doing the Van Halen fans a huge favor last year and this year. He's providing the nostalgia reunion tours... although luckily he's saved the other 3 original members the embarassment of having to do so...

So props for Dave for giving the fans the final shot. Time to cap that era off... and while we're at cap off Sammy's and Gary's too. Let's move on with our eyes and ears trained for the future instead of the past... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Your milage may vary...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't be so harsh on Dave. Maybe he just had an "off" night. It happens to the best of them. He was certainly "on" in Atlanta. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he's never been a textbook vocalist. He's a performer. And, after seeing him perform three times in the past three years, I think the guy still has the ability to put on a heck of an entertaining show. I'm sure as hell not "letting go" of Dave. He helped get this party started back in '78, and he's always welcome by me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who cares if you thought Sammy, rock's worst lyricist, was better? Sammy Hagar sucks. A new singer would suck. Who are all these people talking about singers like Sammy who have a beautiful voice? That is not a beautiful voice. It's a kitty screech. It's about showmanship and originality and performance. Dave still has that.

The only good thing for the band is to get its original ingredients back, and only those without an early VH boot will not recognize what those original ingredients are.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rikk:
    Who cares if you thought Sammy, rock's worst lyricist, was better? Sammy Hagar sucks. A new singer would suck. Who are all these people talking about singers like Sammy who have a beautiful voice? That is not a beautiful voice. It's a kitty screech. It's about showmanship and originality and performance. Dave still has that.

The only good thing for the band is to get its original ingredients back, and only those without an early VH boot will not recognize what those original ingredients are.
    I'm not going to get into it with you, that's Badkareoke's job.
    But where do you get off saying Sammy sucks? Rock's worst lyricist? Kitty screech?
    WTF!?
    If he's so bad, how has he been able to maintain a career for over thirty years? How come thousands of people flock to his shows? Why is he the only one from Van Halen with a current recording contract? The only singer able to land VH's ONLY #1"s? The only one who landed VH ANY awards? Icluding a Grammy!
    The only one still releasing cd's in the last SIX years.
    His lyrics are catchy. Are enjoyable to sing. They have meaning. His voice is unmistakable. Unique. You KNOW it is him when you hear it. Unlike ANYONE else in rock, he has been able to maintain his pipes.
    Sammy Hagar might be a lot of things, and you might like him, but say he sucks is WRONG!

Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by THE MARD:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rikk:

I'm not going to get into it with you, that's Badkareoke's job.
    But where do you get off saying Sammy sucks? Rock's worst lyricist? Kitty screech?
    WTF!?
    If he's so bad, how has he been able to maintain a career for over thirty years? How come thousands of people flock to his shows? Why is he the only one from Van Halen with a current recording contract? The only singer able to land VH's ONLY #1"s? The only one who landed VH ANY awards? Icluding a Grammy!
    The only one still releasing cd's in the last SIX years.
    His lyrics are catchy. Are enjoyable to sing. They have meaning. His voice is unmistakable. Unique. You KNOW it is him when you hear it. Unlike ANYONE else in rock, he has been able to maintain his pipes.
    Sammy Hagar might be a lot of things, and you might like him, but say he sucks is WRONG!

Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not gonna get into this with you, either. But why is it so different for people to post that bringing Dave would be a mistake and people like myself to post that bringing Sam back would be a mistake?

Now, without fighting, let's discuss: Sammy is the ONLY guy in rock who's been able to maintain his pipes? Hmm...Roger Daltrey? There's an endless list here. Mick Jagger ain't doing too bad, is he? And his pipes aren't exactly "freeze-dry," are they? He still has the charisma, and Dave has the charisma.

I am of the opinion (that some people share) that Hagar's lyrics are generic and without much depth. I also absolutely can't stand the sound of his voice. It so much harks back to that high-pitched wail that so many 80's singers were into. It never fit well with my picture of Van Halen.

As for #1 albums, Grammy's, etc...I don't think you can really say that counts for shit. Britney, Celine, Mariah Carey...are they just as legitimate to lots of hard rock fans? I think record sales count more, and no one can truly argue that Sam has matched Dave's VH at that.

And record label? I wouldn't call being dumped by his record label and being forced to put his records out on his own label a man who is still really signed. Let's face it: Dave, VH and Sam are all right now not exactly signed bands.

I respect other people's tastes, but a post like the one that started this thread is going to bring people like me out of the woodwork.

Dammit, you Sammy fans really hate us hardcore fans of "classic" VH, don't you? You will NEVER get it. You will never understand what it is we find superior in the original band. And that's fine. We're all human with our own tastes and preferences. But if the band's second singer has a bunch of songs that contain melodies and lyrics that make me cringe, I think it's fair for me to say that I really don't want that second singer back.

As for BK, he can get into it with me anytime he wants. Unfortunately, that's gotten a little tired.

I do respect that you and I can simply disagree without having a flame war. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.29.16 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 425 Times in 183 Posts

Let's let Nsync have #1 records and let's let Van HALEN kick ass! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 99 Times in 40 Posts

Must have been an off night, or not a dave friendly poster, cause the show I saw in LA said that Dave could easily front VH as could Sammy.

It's just a matter of taste now, and I personally want the original lineup for one full cd and a big world tour.

Bye bye now, see you later....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.29.16 @ 06:37 AM
    Liked 7,732 Times in 3,247 Posts

I am moving this to the Tour Forum, I'm just tired of these Dave/Sam arguments all over the place. I should just make a forum for all them and stick them in there with the same boring CANNED responses we all give at this point.

Are you guys bored yet?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!