Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Shuttle is scheduled to lift off today(16th) at 10:39 am est. I just checked outside and the sky is crystal clear!!! Catch it if you can.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

KICK ASS!!!!!!

Another safe launch!

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

How far from it are you?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say a couple hundred miles North. I'm probably 6 miles west of the Atlantic ocean. The sky was so clear. It's really something to see it climb so fast.....very kick ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Could you see much from the naked-eye or did you use binoculars or a telescope?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just walked outside the pris...I mean worksite....and looked Southeast. I didn't have to use binoculars (but they are handy.)

It's really cool to see it at night. You can just about watch the shuttle till it hits orbit.

I've been lucky enough to be a couple of miles from the Cape when it has went up before. It's cool to watch it launch off the pad.....the sound and ground rumble take what seems like a good minute before you felt them.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Missed it again [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] dammit
    oh well there is always next time!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Dennis:
    I just walked outside the pris...I mean worksite....and looked Southeast. I didn't have to use binoculars (but they are handy.)

It's really cool to see it at night. You can just about watch the shuttle till it hits orbit.

I've been lucky enough to be a couple of miles from the Cape when it has went up before. It's cool to watch it launch off the pad.....the sound and ground rumble take what seems like a good minute before you felt them.

Way cool, Dennis. How can you tell what's a shuttle and aircraft at night? Not being a smart-aleck here, just curious. I've been thinking about getting the kids a telescope and this may be a good time to do so.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    Way cool, Dennis. How can you tell what's a shuttle and aircraft at night? Not being a smart-aleck here, just curious. I've been thinking about getting the kids a telescope and this may be a good time to do so.
    Don't know how it looks from Jacksonville, but from Orlando we see the shuttle go up - and that's the operative word - up! Also, airplanes don't tend to trail fire behind 'em. We were at the beach for the last night launch and that sucker just lit up the place - kids compared it to a sunrise (having seen a sunrise, that wasn't the impression I got, but hey, they're kids!). But you can see it from far away. I watched the one that went up with John Glenn on Palm Beach.
    Usually I just go stand on the back slab when ones going up, but seeing as I'm 3000 miles away right now, didn't see today's!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to visit cape canaveral every summer to visit family, and the highlight would always be if a rocket (especially a shuttle) launch was happening while I was there. I think it's a shame, though, how so much money has gone into the International Space Station (and what are we accomplishing with that?), rather furthering space exploration. I've heard people tell me about how exciting space travel was in the 60s and 70s, but where are we now? I even think return trips to the moon could help further space exploration and help get people interested again. Ok, I'm done.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Originally posted by skiler78:
    I used to visit cape canaveral every summer to visit family, and the highlight would always be if a rocket (especially a shuttle) launch was happening while I was there. I think it's a shame, though, how so much money has gone into the International Space Station (and what are we accomplishing with that?), rather furthering space exploration. I've heard people tell me about how exciting space travel was in the 60s and 70s, but where are we now? I even think return trips to the moon could help further space exploration and help get people interested again. Ok, I'm done.
    My wallet just felt lighter as I read your post....What's in it for me? Space Program...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....NO RESULTS FOR HUMANS.
    Seems like we always launch something into space before we launch missles in someones face. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to save the cash to just blast Mr. Husinsane?
    Just go for it!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

supposedly, a space station would make it easier to go further into space. they say too much fuel is used in the process of leaving our atmosphere. if a shuttle or another kind of craft were already out of orbit, it could carry more fuel to get where it's going. at least that's what the big thinkers say...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dennis:

Way cool, Dennis. How can you tell what's a shuttle and aircraft at night? Not being a smart-aleck here, just curious. I've been thinking about getting the kids a telescope and this may be a good time to do so.</font>[/QUOTE]It's very easy to tell actually. The Shuttle is producing a tremendous contrail as it goes vertically up, and even from my location you can clearly make out the bright orange fire from the rocket boosters. I don't know how much luck you would have tracking it from your location. If I were you I'd call a local astronomy association to see. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    supposedly, a space station would make it easier to go further into space. they say too much fuel is used in the process of leaving our atmosphere. if a shuttle or another kind of craft were already out of orbit, it could carry more fuel to get where it's going. at least that's what the big thinkers say...
    Big thinkers must not buy gas for their cars!!!!
    They are worried about saving fuel for a shuttle and spend billions of dollars doing so...yet, we have to pay double for gas to fight ragheads etc....I say we keep the billions and pay the armed forces better money so they do a more effective job tracking down the jack-asses we are searching for....(I am NOT saying they are doing poor) But where are more funds????
    Just go for it!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm devestated. It feels like 1986 all over again.....my heart goes out to the families of the astronauts....