Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

you believe this shit? that they can deter strikes?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

screw em

Human Shields Wait for OK to Enter Iraq
    Sun Mar 9, 3:14 PM ET

By SHAFIKA MATTAR, Associated Press Writer

AMMAN, Jordan - Anti-war activists were waiting Sunday for visas to enter Iraq (news - web sites), where they say they want to be "human shields" against a possible U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein (news - web sites).

Latest news:
    Powell Hopes for More Support of War
    AP - 45 minutes ago
    Iraqi Official Thinks U.S. Wants War
    AP - Sun Mar 9, 5:18 PM ET
    Blix Hopes It's Not Too Late to Avoid War
    AP - Wed Mar 5,10:04 PM ET
    Special Coverage

Some 10 members of the Chicago-based peace activist group Voices in the Wilderness, along with six Spaniards, were in the Jordanian capital Amman preparing to drive across the border into Iraq.

The activists said they wanted to stay with Iraqi families inside their homes to deter attacks if a war begins.

They hope to join dozens of others from around the world in Baghdad offering to station themselves at strategic locations such as power plants, water purification facilities and archaeological sites.

"I am going to Iraq because I want a better world for my children and my grandchildren," Canadian writer Zahira Houfani, a member of Voices in The Wilderness, told The Associated Press.

"I miss my youngest grandchild ... but my presence with the Iraqi children and my conscience are stronger than my family obligations," said 50-year-old Houfani, who called a war on Iraq "unjust and criminal."

Group member Shane Claiborne, 27, from Philadelphia, said: "We pledge to do all we can to be the voices for our brothers and sisters in Iraq."

The Spaniards were not with the Chicago-based group. Two of them said they arrived in Jordan about two weeks ago to enter Iraq and demonstrate the differences between their government's support for military action and Spanish public opposition.

Spain has joined America and Britain in proposing to deliver an ultimatum to Saddam demanding he give up his suspected banned weapons by March 17 or face war. Iraq denies it has weapons of mass destruction.

"I hope the Spanish presence in Iraq will force our government to retract from its support of the U.S.-led war against the innocent, helpless people of Iraq," said one of the Spaniards, who asked to be identified only as Sandiego, a 45-year-old meteorologist.

U.S. officials say it is a war crime to use civilians as human shields and that there is no way to guarantee their safety.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Goo:

I'd suggest the commonsense answer to that would be 'no, unless you did it on purpose'
    Yes, that is a common sense answer.
    Now, the reality would be.....how many countries would say "Oh yeah, we did bomb that hotel/hospital/bus station/whatever on purpose yeah"

I just love it when people start throwing this 'war crimes' crap around.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reality is of course that the so-called 'human shields' are well intentioned but seriously misguided people, and of course the Iraqis were always going to try and use them to shield miltary or industrial facilities.
    Why wouldn't they?

Lets face it, the Iraqi armed forces are no match or threat to the US.
    Oh wait, yes they are, thats why there is going to be an invasion, I forgot.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

"I am going to Iraq because I want a better world for my children and my grandchildren," Canadian writer Zahira Houfani, a member of Voices in The Wilderness, told The Associated Press.

"I miss my youngest grandchild ... but my presence with the Iraqi children and my conscience are stronger than my family obligations," said 50-year-old Houfani, who called a war on Iraq "unjust and criminal."

Group member Shane Claiborne, 27, from Philadelphia, said: "We pledge to do all we can to be the voices for our brothers and sisters in Iraq."
    If they cared so much about the Iraqi people, why would they advocate leaving in Saddam's regime that has tortured and killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi citizens? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

I don't like war one bit, but if these "Voices in the Wilderness" morons get killed in the strikes (highly unlikely but possible) I certainly won't shed a tear.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Goo:

Most of them are on their way home.
    This was my understanding as well. Seems they didn't like hanging out in the mosque with the missle launcher parked out back
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Well, at least these people are semi-willing to put their money where their mouth is. Now if we could just get some of these Hollywood types on board - "You, Spicoli, a little to the left..."

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Stupid is... as stupid does... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

To bad they didn't stick around for the fireworks. At least then they would know what there protesting against.

If your going to do something then do it, don't puss out when it's not the fun and games you thought it was going to be.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But it's not a war crime to kill civilians in bombing raids, as long as they are not being used as shields??

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Utter stupidity. A few people from over here (among over nations) went over there and were shocked to discover the Iraqi's wanted them to go to army bases and other military targets. It appears the 'sheilds' wanted to guard hospitals and creches etc. Surely people are not so distorted in their views that they think the Americans are gonna be targetting civilian targets ON PURPOSE?

Most of them are on their way home. Apparantly the Iraqi governments policy of 'do as we say' didnt sit well with 'em. Deprived them of their freedoms etc.. Which I must wonder...did they learn something about Iraq from this exercise?

I got no problems with people protesting their views on the war, but this simply smacks of some people trying to get their 15 minutes. It was ill-concieved and badly thought out. At least thats the impression I got from the Australian participants.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by kenny5150:
    But it's not a war crime to kill civilians in bombing raids, as long as they are not being used as shields??
    I'd suggest the commonsense answer to that would be 'no, unless you did it on purpose'
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......