Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been a long-time user and have only been ripped off once or twice. You do need a credit card to register for selling purposes. (They take a small percentage of your auction if you're a seller)
    Otherwise, you can get easily addicted finding some cool shit on there!
    Good luck!

Be sure to check a seller's feedback before bidding!!!

[ April 14, 2002 at 04:59 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    Be sure to check a seller's feedback before bidding!!!
    YES, YES and YES!!!

I couldn't stress this point enough either. I've never had any REAL trouble, but I've had to email the seller on a few occasions when the item hadn't arrived within a week or so.

This one guy though was way cool. I'd won some vintage Van Halen pics. Waited a week to get them. Nothing. So I emailed the guy, he said he was sorry but he'd gotten behind in his shipments. He said he'd send them out.

1 week later, STILL no pics. So, I email him again. He's still real cool about it. In fact, he feels so bad, the tosses in another complete set of pics for FREE just to help out because I waited so long.

A lot of people are cool like this but a lot of them will take you for a ride. As with anything, it's a "caveat emptor" world out there...

"Buyer Beware"

Have fun with it, YR! It can be a lot of fun and you can find ALL kinds of cool, out of print 80's cd's out there! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Hey, do any of you ever use eBay? I was looking at it today and I saw something I want on it, but I don't know much about ebay, I have never used it before.

Do you need a credit card to use it?
    Can you use cheques? Have any of you ever been ripped off using it?
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I've used it a few times to buy and sell stuff. never had any problems, just check out the profile etc

payment usually depends on the seller but most will accept money orders etc
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

I went to register today, and it says you can't use a hotmail or yahoo address because they are free e-mail address'. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] So I couldn't sign up.

Have any of you had this problem signing up?

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    use your @vhlinks email or sign up a fairwarning one off the main page here Yankee, I'm pretty sure they wouldnt have either f them on record

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah... eBay's pretty cool. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I already bought quite a lot CD's and all from eBay. Ne'er really had any problems so far. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    I went to register today, and it says you can't use a hotmail or yahoo address because they are free e-mail address'. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] So I couldn't sign up.

Have any of you had this problem signing up?
    That's strange. I use my hotmail account for ebay [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Alright! They accepted my vhlinks address, thanks for the help and advice goo, Cabo, FanHalen, Atomic. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-- John Entwistle

Test5150
    Another thing about ebay....if you don't feel like waiting for the auction to end, look for the "buy it now" button. Sometimes, the seller has a quantity of the item in question and you can just buy it outright instead of going through the auction. I've bought several things this way.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Chelle:
    Another thing about ebay....if you don't feel like waiting for the auction to end, look for the "buy it now" button. Sometimes, the seller has a quantity of the item in question and you can just buy it outright instead of going through the auction. I've bought several things this way.
    ...........and what a lousy Christmas present it was!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My experiences:

Whoever said to check the feedback gave a good piece of advice. People who have had problems in advance are bound to have had it reported. If you don't feel comfortable with that person as a seller, don't bid.

You usually have a number of payment options. Billpoint and Paypal are (semi)independent companies that allow you to send money to people and have it charged to a Visa or Master Card. Typically you have the most security with something like that as you have recourse for a defaulted auction.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email the seller to ask. Sometimes you might find out you know more about the item than they do. One time I bought something from someone that was incomplete, but as they didn't know the nature of what they were selling they insisted it wasn't. I ended up contesting the charge on my credit card, sending the item back, and eventually having the charge removed. Stupid prick.

If you do plan on bidding on something, don't right away. Try and plan it so you're on the computer a few minutes before the auction ends. Set a maximum price you're willing to pay and don't go over it. If the item is still below that range, put your bid down while there is only about 15-30 seconds left in the auction. If you're on top, chances are no one will have time to outbid you. There is no reward for leading the most number of days, only when the auction closes.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Stuff No More:

If you do plan on bidding on something, don't right away. Try and plan it so you're on the computer a few minutes before the auction ends. Set a maximum price you're willing to pay and don't go over it. If the item is still below that range, put your bid down while there is only about 15-30 seconds left in the auction. If you're on top, chances are no one will have time to outbid you. There is no reward for leading the most number of days, only when the auction closes.
    Not sure I totally agree with this, heres why:

On the Australian Ebay site, and no doubt on the others, theres an autobid feature. How it works is you enter your bid as the MAXIMUM your willing to bid. The computer then handles the bidding for you - if an item starts at say 20 bucks, and you enter 100 bucks as your bid, it sets that as the high mark for your bidding - but it only actually BIDS the minimum amout for you. so now the biddings gone to say $22.50 (even though your willing to slap down 100 on it)

Then some joe comes along and bids 25 bucks, the computer will bid it up to $27.50 for you automatically

Some other joe comes along, and does what you did, and says 'well I'd pay 50 bucks for that'. he bids $50 same as you bid $100........ the computer then sets a new bid for you of $52.50 to top his maximum.. and so on. Once your limit is hit, it stops bidding for you.

Problem this presents in SNMs 'last minute' scenario is if the standing bid has an autobid amount - you dont know what it is, so with 15 seconds to go, you bid the minumum, but *whizz* the autobid kicks in for the other bidder, the price jumps up, the auction closes and you miss out - even though you would have been willing to pay more.

I'd be inclined to agree yes, get in late, but not THAT late. get involved with 10-15 minutes to go so you can monitor. if you bid and the autobid magically keeps dropping in a higher margin,. dont be scared to use it to YOUR advantage. enter in the maximum you wanna pay and see if it tips you onto the top of the heap. the price might jump a bit quickly, but thats the only way you would have been able to buy it anyway. Just be honest with yourself and dont go over what your prepared to pay.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You're thinking too logically, Goo. Remember, we're dealing with the unwashed masses, and psychology is key here.

People tend to like to be the leader on something. That's why bidding wars start. Normally people don't give themselves that much of a cushion between their current bid and their current maximum bid.

Now, you'll notice I said to determine in advance the absolute maximum you're willing to bid. When the auction is almost over, put that number down. You'll either win the auction or the price will go over what you wanted to pay anyway. Either way, you're not out anything.

I wouldn't advise Yankee to do it this way if it didn't work. Of all the auctions I've won (which is somewhere in the mid to upper 20s), this method has only not worked once due to autobid putting it above my maximum.

Another trick is the 1 cent trick. Don't bid $20.00 on something, bid $20.01, as most people put even increments down for autobid. A bid of $20 won't beat a previous bid of $20, and the next unstated increment might be as much as $5 higher! I've won a couple of auctions by 1 cent in the past.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

I was winning a bid yesturday then I got this in the mail from eBay....

Please be aware that auction:******
    in which you were a bidding participant, has been ended early by eBay. This
    auction was ended as it appears to offer an item or contains material which
    infringes the rights of an intellectual property (copyright, trademark, patent,
    etc.) owner. Such auction items or materials violate eBay's Listing Policies
    prohibiting the offering of infringing materials. Because the auction was
    ended early, you as a bidder are not required to complete the transaction.
    I e-mailed the guy that was selling it and he would still sell it to me at a cheaper price, but he wants $8.00 US for shipping. I don't know if I should buy it still, since there is a greater chance I could get ripped off.

-- John Entwistle