Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It fuckin rules!

I reformatted my machine the other day because something got screwy. I've been using Windows 2000 since October of 2000. Been satisfied except for some of the usual "####.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.."

Granted, it beats the good old blue screen errors from Windows 98, but damn it got annoying. Even Norton Utilities WinDoctor didn't cure everything.

Anyway, last night I decided to ditch Win2K after redoing everything 2 days ago, and put Windows XP Pro on my machine. IT KICKS ASS!

No errors. Runs much faster than even 2000. YAAAAAY!
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much memory do you need, Pabs? I heard 250 works best.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's how much I have. 256. My other machine has like 320 or something.

My roommate and girlfriend are using 128, and they aren't having any problems. I should say, HE isn't having any problems, having been using it for a couple weeks. I installed it for my girlfriend yesterday, and thought it was cool, so I installed it too.

No problems. Windows 2000 was a hog, and you needed at least 256 MB or RAM. Since XP Pro is considered NT, and the predecessor of Win2K, I'm assuming it would be a hog too. I haven't yet installed my MemTurbo or haven't looked at Norton Utilities System Integrator to see how much RAM is being drained on startup.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I use XP and am very pleased with it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    I use XP and am very pleased with it...
    Pro or Home?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

XP is also a memory hog. I'd recommend using at least 256 to run it, with 512 it flies. One of the biggest problems I have with XP is the networking features. Since there is no more NetBEUI protocol, it's tricky to set up into an existing peer-to-peer workgroup with win98 machines.

I find 2000 better because of the networking, but the kernel for XP plays games better imo. I'm running XP at home (professional version) and 2000 at work.

The GUI for XP blows. I feel like i'm in teletubbie land with the gui, so it's back to the classic gui for me.

All and all, XP is an advancement over 98/95/Me. If you have one of those, I'd definately recommend upgrading. If you have 2000, you may want to weigh it out. No reason to spend money if you don't have to.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    ...One of the biggest problems I have with XP is the networking features. Since there is no more NetBEUI protocol, it's tricky to set up into an existing peer-to-peer workgroup with win98 machines...
    I have 43 different Win '98/'95 networks to support and not a single one of them uses netbeui any more - it's all tcp/ip. But we'll be switching to XP as we replace pcs, so I'm gonna have to get a copy real soon so I can start learning about it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I run XP Pro on a machine with 320 MB of RAM.

If you have the RAM and have the hardware compatibility eked out, Windows XP is a must-upgrade from any Windows 98 or Windows Me machine for sure.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by xaminer:
    XP is also a memory hog. I'd recommend using at least 256 to run it, with 512 it flies. One of the biggest problems I have with XP is the networking features. Since there is no more NetBEUI protocol, it's tricky to set up into an existing peer-to-peer workgroup with win98 machines.

I find 2000 better because of the networking, but the kernel for XP plays games better imo. I'm running XP at home (professional version) and 2000 at work.

The GUI for XP blows. I feel like i'm in teletubbie land with the gui, so it's back to the classic gui for me.

All and all, XP is an advancement over 98/95/Me. If you have one of those, I'd definately recommend upgrading. If you have 2000, you may want to weigh it out. No reason to spend money if you don't have to.
    Well, yeah, you can also know someone who works for Microsoft.

Anyway, I've been using Win2k for quite some time, and although I liked it, this OS is much more stable, and loads necessary drivers automatically. This OS recognized everything. Win2k didn't.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by JWS_5150:
    I run XP Pro on a machine with 320 MB of RAM.

If you have the RAM and have the hardware compatibility eked out, Windows XP is a must-upgrade from any Windows 98 or Windows Me machine for sure.
    I agree with that statement 1000000%

NetBeui is damn ancient too. I noticed that before but didn't respond to it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm running 2000 now, and will probably wait till I get a new machine before I get XP. But I have installed XP on other peoples' computers and I think it fuckin' rocks! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] This is the version of Windows MS should've released 7 years ago... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah... XP Pro indeed kicks ass.

Been using it since October. If you have the right drivers, it works indeed fine. Most stable Windows OS Microsoft has ever created, I think.

Anyway... I'll still keep Win 98 as secondary OS tho, cos of all my old DOS-based stuff.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

XP Pro rules. You need to make sure everything is compatible, etc, and you need the horsepower the run it, but it's great.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i want it but "My Mother" thinks there are bugs in it that need to be fixed.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.15.08 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

XP does kick ass, but I hope you've got a good motherboard. I went all out on my computer, except for a generic motherboard, and XP Pro was buggy as hell.

It worked fine for about a month, then I kept having system crashes, and kept having to reinstall the damn thing. I narrowed it down to the motherboard, upgraded to a better board, and have had no problems ever since.
    I used to know this guy, he played with dolls...