Page 1 of 80 12341151 ... LastLast
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, what I started out of anger has become something of beauty! A year ago tonight we were all pissed about not having any futher information about or favorite band, Van Halen. I think most of us know the history of AD. I started a thread titled "I think I speak for everybody when I say...", then you enter the thread and see "Where's the beer? What a long ass day!" Don't forget, this was a day of antisipation for BIG news that never came. It was complete anarchy at the forums.

From that point on, people caught onto the idea of a virtual bar. I thought at first it was a little quirky and silly, but then I saw the potential. Not just a virtual bar, but a place where people could set aside their differences, whether they were Dave fans, Sammy fans, or even Gary fans. We all got along because we were only here for two things! Having for and getting our drink on! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To all the people who make AD what it is today, thanks for continuing the true spirit of the original thread. If I forgot you, I'm sorry, you can kill me later. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Down In Flames -- This place would not be what it is today without you bro. Your service to the people is to be commended and I thank you so much for everything! I can't exaclty put it into word bro, but you know I appreciate everything you've done. We've been through a lot the last year bro. Still a true friend. I thank you!

Seenbad--The first to reply to my call of "Where's the beer?!", a huge THANK YOU. You are a great friend man and I appreciate your honesty and you are one the people I respect the most. Thanks bro.

Track 5Man!! The man that came up with the term "n'shit" and many more memorable posts. We had some good times in here man. I'll never forget the fisrt time you saw Grillzilla. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] You were one happpy boy. Also, how could I forget, a drumming brotha!! You are a great friend T5, let's chat soon ok? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rat Salad-- One ofthe OG AD'ers, we don't see ya around much bro, but you are definately part of the family.

Wolfman-- Our official bouncer! I couldn't have picked a better man for the job. I remember greeting you to the family after your first post here on the board. I'm glad you remembered also. Wolfman, you ARE A true brotha down to the heart. Thanks for everything! It won't be forgotten! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rick S--Man, you are one of the funniest motherfuckers on this board. I remember the first time you posted that pic with your dogs ass. I didn't think anything of it till DIF put "I give you my ass" in his signature. As an original AD'er, a huge cheers to you my man! Enjoy the celebration.

So with all that said, on with the Twinkies, beer, midgets, hookers, Grillzilla and just have a fucking blast tonight. I'm going to be sipping on a real beer with you all for the next couple hours here.

Your friend, Top Timmy! AD FOR LIFE!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 26, 2001 at 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Top Timmy ]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Word, Top!

AD...

I can't believe it's been a year. I think the opening post of "Respect The Brew" did a fair job of detailing the history behind AD, so I've revised it...

No thread in the history of VH message boards has had such a long and varied history. This has been the most frequently viewed and posted in thread in the history of VHForums.

Top Timmy, our faithful proprietor, began the original and many of the subsequent legendary AD threads. I've always been at a loss, trying just how to quantify the significance of AD for those that are new to the bar. What better place to start from than the beginning?

Back on June 26, 2000, Top Timmy started a thread. (Here's a little VHLinks nugget of knowledge for you - It wasn't titled "The Atomic Drunks!!") It was titled something along the lines of, "I Think I Speak For Everyone When I Say..." When you entered the thread, he finished the sentence, "Where's the beer? What a long ass day."

And AD was born. (The name of the thread was changed to "The Atomic Drunks!!" after a while. We knew we had something good cooking, and wanted it to stand out from the rest of the threads.)

See, back on June 26, 2000, the links were in a state of disarray because we had been awaiting the "official" website's overhaul. All we knew beforehand was that the site was going under some changes. You can imagine what we all thought "changes" implied. News. Ha. Back then we really thought something might be said. Ah, we were so young... LOL.

As usual, I hadn't been on that day. But, when I showed up that night, a really bad vibe was present. The night before, everyone was up, and giddy, looking forward to the news; ANY kind that would be on the "official" site after the revamp. But when I went to the Main, it was a mess with angry threads about the "official" site's revamping. The difference in mood on the links was night and day.

While the site looked better than it had, previously, there wasn't any more news than there had been before - Although Brad didn't feel the need to let anyone in on this. He pimped the VH web community into believing there *might* be something new, just to get attention.

Well, he got it.

But he also left a pretty bad taste in peoples mouths...

Because of the expectation that the "official" website's overhaul would contain some news about the band, followed by the realization there was nothing, people were seriously let down.

Some said that the band must be finished. Others tried to take things in stride and said that the continuing wait would be worth it. But the vast majority were confused and disheartened.

Add to this the fact that a former poster incorrectly entered his password while trying to post. When the links didn't accept his incorrect password, he blew his stack and registered under a different username. He posted a thread in the Main Discussion forum titled, "Fuck Brett" where he railed against being banned - When it was his own fault he couldn't post.

Immediately people started showing up in the thread both to defend Brett and to figure out just who this new guy was. When the poster revealed himself people were shocked and angry. A lot of testosterone-filled posts flew back and forth between he and everyone else. It was a bad scene, all around.

It is still the most depressing night I can remember on the links.

I took part in the aforementioned thread and was pissed, tired, and saddened by everyone's disappointment. I left the Main and was about to log off, but before I did I took a quick look at the other forums. Almost every one had at least one thread about what didn't happen at the "official" site. It was a pretty big deal.

My last stop was Non-Music. I saw, "I Think I Speak For Everyone When I Say..."

"What an interesting name for a thread," I thought and clicked on it. I laughed out loud when I saw the epic question posed, "Where's the beer?"

Top Timmy summed up VHLinks collective frustration and exhaustion in two sentences.

Seenbad responded, then Rat Salad, then myself, then Rick S, then track 5... And down the line it went. At least one thread was hopeful, that night. Through the jokes, everybody sensed that something special and different was being born in the midst of so much pessimism.

On the second page, t 5 summed up the essence of AD better than anyone has yet. He said, "I think we found a thread were we can all hang. No slamming no real anything at all. It will probably not end up like this, but enjoy while we can. See ya'll tomorrow. Out."

That's how I've felt about AD at the time.

That's how I feel about AD today.

We've dealt with a lot of things in AD from brother Jeff5150's heart attack, to the suicide that Dimoncutr unfortunately discovered, this has been a place where you know people will listen to you and lend you a shoulder if need be, along with a joke or two. Or 18. LOL.

Form Seen's inflatable palm trees, to Jeff's "Boobie Shot," to Wolf's AD flag, to Rat's VH Ale, to DG's funnel, to conmee's spliffs, to houseofpain's spittoon, to t 5's "Twinkie Master" skills, to Unchained Wolfie's underage drinking, to Lead Synth's designated driving, to @gent's smileys, to Joe-C (R.I.P. bro)... From the "Blair Fish Project," to Chief Halen Head break-dancing on my trusty piece of cardboard in the High Country, to the never-ending quest to make the world Beta friendly, and everything else under the sun that makes AD A-fucking-D, you guys really are the best.

I try to make it a habit not to bust a nut making long flowery posts, but when it comes to AD and all the great stories we've shared, you all know it means something to me.

Every new chapter signifies both the end of the precedent and a bridge to the subsequent bar. We've seen 8 previous incarnations of AD open and close. Within these threads I've gotten to know more of you than I would have otherwise had the pleasure, and I know I'm the better for it.

So many people have come through the door, you wouldn't believe it. But what separates this thread from all others is that throughout every version there has never been a single fight. Not one. There have been fights about AD, but never in it. Some knucleheads have threatened to start stuff, but have never had the nerve. Smart, on their part...

Rothaholics, Sammyites, Garyettes ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) have all come in and treated one another like brothers and sisters. That says so much...

The best explanation of what makes AD so great are the threads, themselves. I did a search for all of them (minus the temporary threads). Each URL takes you to a different chapter of AD. If you're new, or an original AD drunk, bookmark all of them so you can catch up whenever you're in the mood. Read them as you wish, and I guarantee you'll come away with a smile.

1.) June 26, 2000 - The Atomic Drunks!!
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000195.html

2.) August 1, 2000 : "In A Drunken Rhyme"
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000408.html

3.) September 26, 2000 : Drop Dead Kegs
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000602.html

4.) October 20, 2000 : OUDrank12
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000690.html

5.) November 13, 2000 Beeruption
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000778.html

6.) Jan 1, 2001 : Apolitical Brews
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000911.html

7.) January 26, 2001 : The Full Mug
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000974.html

8.) February 23, 2001 : Black And Brew
    http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/001051.html

9) March 15, 2001 : Respect The Brew
    http://www.vhforums.com/cgi-bin/vhlf...&f=12&t=001129

10) April 12, 2001 : Without Brew
    http://www.vhforums.com/cgi-bin/vhlf...&f=12&t=001245

11) May 21. 2001 : Breworld
    http://www.vhforums.com/cgi-bin/vhlf...&f=12&t=001329

A special thanks to Top Timmy for creating the best thread ever. Thanks also to everybody for all the good times and here's to many, many more.

It's been an honor to tend bar for you.

AD
    IADR
    DDK
    OUD12
    Beeruption
    AB
    TFM
    BAB
    RTB
    WB
    BW...

... and now...

ABTTD!!

Need I say drinks are on the house? (Not HOP. Never HOP. )

A year has gone by. I wish everyone many, many more.

Rock on, fellow drunken bastards!

Bottoms Up!!

*gulp*
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

(Wolf runs in with his VHcape on, rips it off, and puts it over the bar)

OWWWWWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Gimmmeee a quadruple Woodford and a hot little mama on my lap, DIFster! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

(Wolf slams a quarter in the juke and selects “Eruption” before anybody can fuck with the playlist.) [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
    (Wolf runs in with his VHcape on, rips it off, and puts it over the bar)

OWWWWWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Gimmmeee a quadruple Woodford and a hot little mama on my lap, DIFster! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

(Wolf slams a quarter in the juke and selects “Eruption” before anybody can fuck with the playlist.) [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right off the bat, we've got the AD banner!

(POURS Wolf a quadruple Woodfrod. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )

Fine selection on the juke box. Definitely an eye-opener.

*gulp*

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Glad you like the tune, DIF - here's a good followup for ya.

(*"If the houwse izza rockin' don't botha knockin' - If the houwse izza rockin' - don't botha - come on iiiiinnnnnn...."*)

*hic* I've already dinished my frink - can I have another?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Word DIF. Very well put my friend. Kinda brought a tear...nope, not gonna say it! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I'm a man and...where's my beer. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, thanks DIF for the kind words. Our baby is getting so big. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 26, 2001 at 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Top Timmy ]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great new place guys...

Downy, I'll have a Jack and coke... and would you mind watching my seat? I need to use the ladies room. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good lord DG, have I missed you sweetie!! How's life been girly? I hope DIF has been good to ya when I'm not around. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm sure he has, fucking Cassanova. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Glad you like the tune, DIF - here's a good followup for ya.

(*"If the houwse izza rockin' don't botha knockin' - If the houwse izza rockin' - don't botha - come on iiiiinnnnnn...."*)

*hic* I've already dinished my frink - can I have another? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet, man.

(POURS Wolf a quadruple Woodford. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )

No driving for you, bro...

*gulp*

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

TT, you've created a monster. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Let's just try not to kill this thread in one night. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rock on ADs [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Word Wolfman!! Great to see ya here man. I guess I've been a stranger to the AD thread for quite sometime. I apologize to my brothas and sistas. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    Word DIF. Very well put my friend. Kinda brought a tear...nope, not gonna say it! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I'm a man and...where's my beer. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, thanks DIF for the kind words. Our baby is getting so big. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you think about how messed up things were last year at this time, it's amazing so many people stuck around.

(THROWS Top an ice cold Corona w/ lime. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )

*gulp*

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JWS_5150, join the party my man! Hopefully Track 5 and Seenbad will get here soon. Grillzilla is all clean and ready to go. Even got some hickory chips to put that smoked flavor in. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamondsgirl:
    Great new place guys...

Downy, I'll have a Jack and coke... and would you mind watching my seat? I need to use the ladies room. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do more than watch your seat, darlin'... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

(POURS DG a tall Jack and Coke and adds three cherries. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )

*gulp*

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Top Timmy:

Good lord DG, have I missed you sweetie!! How's life been girly? I hope DIF has been good to ya when I'm not around. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm sure he has, fucking Cassanova. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've missed you too TT...Glad you're here!!!
    Downy has been very, very good to me...sometimes as many as 7 cherries in one drink!!!

[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson