Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a computer question for anyone out here:

2 things to mention first: I have a High Speed Cable Modem, and Windows 98 OS

Problem was:
    Lost connection to the internet.

Then I reformatted the C: Drive (hard drive is partioned in 2 parts)

Then got the Internet connection back for a time, but then the connection was lost again.

Next had a tech from the Cable Internet Service bring a new Modem to the house. Installed the new modem, STILL could not access the Internet.

The Tech then said he thought that the Ethernet Card somehow was BAD and that was the cause. He is sending me a new card.

Then---For the Hell of it I reformatted my C: drive again (partitioned off part of the harddrive as before) and NOW (obviously) I now can access the Internet.

What's the deal here?

QUESTION: Can an Ethernet go "bad" yet then suddenly work again after re-formatting?? That seems to make no sense?

Can anyone give me some advice on this matter???

Appreciate it~
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I'll be thinking out loud here so......

First off, no; reformatting your hard drive time and time again has impact whatsoever on the PHYSICAL side of your NIC(Network Interface Card). However, if somehow your IP Stack/Routing Table had become corrupted, it would be rewritten when you introduced your reformatted system to the internet world again....Follow?

OK. Now, my next question would have to be, who is your ISP? Many IT pros like myself know all to well that AOL is NOTORIOUS for doing mean, nasty, unrecoverable things to a systems' IP Stack.

Second: It is also highly possible that your system is having a difficult time maintaining a connection to your ISP's DNS server(s). A battery of Ping and Trace Route tests would also seem to be in order.

Reply back and tell me if anything here helps or you have anymore info or questions........
    There is no spoon...................

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike5150:
    Hi. I'll be thinking out loud here so......

First off, no; reformatting your hard drive time and time again has impact whatsoever on the PHYSICAL side of your NIC(Network Interface Card). However, if somehow your IP Stack/Routing Table had become corrupted, it would be rewritten when you introduced your reformatted system to the internet world again....Follow?

OK. Now, my next question would have to be, who is your ISP? Many IT pros like myself know all to well that AOL is NOTORIOUS for doing mean, nasty, unrecoverable things to a systems' IP Stack.

Second: It is also highly possible that your system is having a difficult time maintaining a connection to your ISP's DNS server(s). A battery of Ping and Trace Route tests would also seem to be in order.

Reply back and tell me if anything here helps or you have anymore info or questions........
    thanks

the connection lasted maybe 4 or 5 hours then it was lost. I am on a friends computer now.

The ISP is Time Warner which I think is now owned by AOL

I they are sending me a new Ethernet card to install.

the person on the tech line told me that the window drivers could run the Ethernet card for a few hours. that was his resoning why it would connect to the internet after reformating and then lose the connection affter a few hours. He think it work fine with the new card and drivers
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Definitely strange...sounds like Mike5150's got a pretty good perspective on it though.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Maybe next time, when it quits, try removing the ethernet card from the device manager (right click on "My Computer", go to properties and then device manager and remove the card under network dapters). Reboot and let the system readd it, see what happens. This is weird!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

01.05.06 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike5150:
    I agree with Mike on this one...

Does your isp offer alternative dns servers?

IMHO, I don't think your NIC driver would corrupt in a matter of hours unless you are doing some funky stuff to your PC... so, re-formatting and re-installing might not be necessary.

Since I am joining this topic a little late, I am wondering if you have been able to resolve this problem??

Oh, I use Road Runner as my ISP.. which is Time Warner....

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm good friends with Pasedena Murdoch and as far as I know he is now waiting for the new Ethernet card to be mailed to has address....

It IS a very weird issue, that's for sure!

I was at his house the other day when he was trying to figure this whole thing out-- I find it incredibly hard to believe that it is a physical problem with the actual Ethernet card itself.

One of our friends thought it might be a driver issue...

Could that be it????

Though Mike's idea sounds like a real possibility! I dunno---

Weird stuff....
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Unplugging the cable modem, any additional hardware, and start it up again. Restart the computer, and see what happens. Some cable providers rotate their IP addresses every so often, and that could be your 4-5 hours.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Windows does update its routing table at regular intervals. I have had issues in a client-server environment recently where the tables were adding and invalid (internal) route to access external addresses, which cut off connectivity after 1-3 hours. I don't know if this applies in your situation, but it is worth investigating.

If, for some reason, you have an invalid pointer to an external address somewhere on your matching (in a confing file or a registry entry) and someone or something makes a call to it, then your routing table could be adding the entry in the wrong position forcing all of your external calls to be kept in.

A good program to easily check this is Cyberkit (works on all current MS platforms, check www.tucows.com). You will be able to see routing changes as they occur.

$0.02

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks guys !

My internet service sent me a new ethernet card.
    I installed it myself (they wanted to charge 50 dollars to have their tech do it)

it has been connecting fine for the last few days

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what you need to do is go up to billy gates house and get him to fix it man. i mean like really. if companies like microsoft, 3com, palm, diamond, sonic and others built stuff the way they did thirty years ago like when kitchen aid dishwashers lasted 40 years and carrier air conditions came with 20 year warrenties then like you would not have any problems chico

"oh you didn't know...your ass better call somebody" __j.j. armstrong

"freeze goofer"___the original deacon

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

try kisisng ass to a microsoft certified system engineer and then when you have problems he will bend over for you to fix it. now i know i just didn't say that

"You know you remind me of a poem I can't remember and a song that may never existed and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to"
    Grandpa Abe Simpson

"This is Ohio - If you don't have a brewski in your hand you might as well be wearing a dress." Jason Dean

"I Don't think I'm alone in the world in imagining this flick may be the worst idea since Greedo shooting first" Holden McNeil

"MEAN, WHOO, BY GOD,WHOO,GENE" THE NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR

"RAP IS CRAP" WEST TEXAS REDNECKS

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, it's a relief that you're back online! The Internet is a drug I can't live without!!

"I came here to play basketball!"

~Random quote from Park Hall resident, Cazenovia College
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey yo...broken combs...good quote my brother. it seems that you remember your past son. now do you remember these sucka!

"WHITE MAN GOING TO SUCK MY D..K TONIGHT" BIG LEE ALSO KNOWN AS THE DEACON AFTER SOMEONE GAVE HIM THAT NAME WHO USED TO USE IT.

"WHAT YOUR'S IS MINE WHEN I COME FROM BEHIND" ONE OF SHAGGY'S 7-2- WORKERS ON A SATURDAY MORNING WAITING FOR BACON THAT SOMEONE WAS NOT DISHING OUT

"PUT THE CAT DOWN" MILLIOPNS OF PEOPLE OVER THE YEARS TO A CAT KILLER

"BOW TO ME" PLANET OF THE APES REMAKE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You might also check to see if your PC has sufficient memory to run the cable software. I couldn't use mine on my old PC because of that - it recognized the connection and the program, but just couldn't muster enough memory to keep the connection on. If I rememeber right, my software required a minimum of 64MB free memory space.