Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Ok after some debate, I've decided to go ahead with this thread to hear stories and basically talk about hunting and what have ya. I would first like to ask that this thread be just like the AD threads in that we stear clear of all political views on hunting and gun control etc. etc, etc. If you enjoy responsible and proper hunting and have some really good stories about past and present hunts, let's hear about them.

So far this years Dove hunting for us has been quite succesfull and extremely enjoyable for everyone who's been hunting with us. I guess the best part so far was the chance to watch two kids 7 and 8 years old shoot a shotgun for the first time. Although they weren't allowed to actually hunt with everyone, it was fun watching them get a chance to shoot at some tin that was lying around. It totally took everyone back to when we were little kids getting to go out with our dads on our first hunting experience with the "grown ups." And watching them help clean the birds with us brought back tons of memories of our first hunts.

Ok now you fellow hunters post about all kinds of hunting stories. I've got plenty to share, and hope you guys do as well. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Kick ass thread [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I have actually never hunted. Big game anyway. I used to go for rabbits and squirrels when I was a kid. Hell, pretty much anything that moved and died with a .22 rifle. Lizards didnt like me much.....then I got a little more responsible and realized I didnt like to kill for no reason at all. Left me empty even though I got to relieve the hunter instinct in me, but I never wanted to eat a squirrel, too dirty. So I eventually hung it up in hopes I could get into big game some day that I could eat.

I may get to go for an Elk this year. If not, next, but I'm sure looking forward to whenever it is. Not only do I get to be outside and camp out which I love anyways, but get to pack home an elk too?! Heaven. I just bought an extra freezer for my fish, but I can make room for some elk and deer no problem. Personally, I'd rather eat deer, but the rarity of an elk would be awsome.

Whats the success ratio for deer/elk anyways? anybody know? One every two or three trips?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

hmm, ok I have one

Last season we were out for mulies. It was quite early in the season (Sept) and the mulies wern't coming out of the alpine for nothing. I live in BC, so there's a lot, I mean A LOT of country to explore. Anyway, we had hiked a good 15-20 km that day and didn't see anything but elk shit, of course that region wasn't open for them at that time.
    We were heading back to the truck and we came upon what looked to be about 100 grouse just standing there. After much debate we figured that we weren't going to see any deer so we might as well take a few grouse home with us.
    My one buddy was using a compound bow, and this was his first season out. He had bought the bow the year before and had spent a great deal of time at the range practicing so we figured we give him first crack at em. He puts a blunt on the end of one his arrows and lines up a nice fat one. He's real nervous, so we tell him to get a little closer. Well he must not have heard the "little" in little closer cause he walks up within ten feet and lets her rip! The poor grouse was impailed by the blunt, and my buddy was mortified! He thought that the arrow was just going to stun it, guess again!
    Anyway the rest of us were geared up for deer so we had higher caliber rifles. I was shooting a 30-06 so I figured a head shot was the only way. These grouse were sooo stupid that I'd shoot one, and the one standing next to it wouldn't move, needless to say we took our limit, didn't destroy the meat with our cannons, and had a good couple of suppers. Unfortunalty for the guy with the bow, he hasn't been out since.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well Seen, up here Elk are pretty hard to come by, not that there isn't a ton of them, they just have too much country at their disposal. I've alway prefered elk to deer by a long shot, but I've heard peeps swear by deer.
    Deer is pretty easy to get up here, you just have to do your homework.
    We used to be overrun with mulies, but now the white tail numbers are way up, which is good because I prefer white tail myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seenbad:
    Kick ass thread [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I may get to go for an Elk this year. If not, next, but I'm sure looking forward to whenever it is. Not only do I get to be outside and camp out which I love anyways, but get to pack home an elk too?! Heaven. I just bought an extra freezer for my fish, but I can make room for some elk and deer no problem. Personally, I'd rather eat deer, but the rarity of an elk would be awsome.

Whats the success ratio for deer/elk anyways? anybody know? One every two or three trips?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I hope you get an Elk whenever that might be. That's a hard trip man. Serious pack in pack out type thing. You gotta have pack horses and such if you're gonna do it right. I've watched it first hand and I never wanted any part of it. TOO much work. LOL. As for the ratio thing, I would imagine it depends on where you are going. There are tons of places that will charge you roughly five to eight thousand dollars a "gun" and promise you a "shot." Alot of these places I wouldn't consider real hunting at all. These Elk and Deer on these places respond to trucks like cattle do. They are feed out of these trucks and assume that a truck equals dinner time. That obviously means that once they hear a truck or two on the site, they come running. Not cool at all. I don't know where you guys are planning to go hunting, but it's a good thing to be aware of such practices. It took me four or five real hunts before I shot my first deer. And I never hunted out of blinds with feeders. But that's another post later down the road here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck man. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Fuuuuuuuck that! I'm not sure where my buddies spot is exactly, but its here in Oregon somewhere. He never said anything about pack horses and shit. lol. I dont think my buddy is the type to spend that kind of money on a planted target either. I get the feeling that he HUNTS. I may want to check though. That what you mentioned doesnt sound like my kind of fun, or money for that matter. lol.

Last Online

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    We used to be overrun with mulies, but now the white tail numbers are way up, which is good because I prefer white tail myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell buddy the whitetail are like rabbits just south of here on my granddad's ranch. The game wardens there even let some of the locals harvest deer for the poor and needy to allow them to eat on a regular basis. Many times it's like feeding the birds around the house. SO over run there in some spots. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Ok track, or one of ya's. Whats a chucker? Maybe I've already asked one of you this and forgot, but a couple years ago, this old retired Dr. was telling me a funny story about him and his buddies hunting chuckers. Great story the way he told it (He talks like Jimmy Stewart), but I never really placed what a chucker is. I figure its like a quail by the way he talked.

Btw, he was getting them at the beach if that helps.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

btw, it aint hunting, but I'm goin for king salmon tomorrow in Tillamook bay. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]umped:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.23.05 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey great thread. I am very new to hunting. I went once last year with my brother and had a great time. He bow hunts, so I bought my first bow last year off of e-bay. So I have been practicing on and off. If anyone has advice on bow hunting or how to tune a bow or now any good web sites, please let me know. Its such a good release. quite time in the woods, stalking your prey. Very Cool. There is are soo many deer here in Illinois that they keep uping the limit. I hope to get good enough to go to Colorado or somewhere and hunt bear.
    I am getting wood thinking about it.
    "Two Dicks WOW!" --Bonnie Bernstein

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seenbad:
    Ok track, or one of ya's. Whats a chucker? Maybe I've already asked one of you this and forgot, but a couple years ago, this old retired Dr. was telling me a funny story about him and his buddies hunting chuckers. Great story the way he told it (He talks like Jimmy Stewart), but I never really placed what a chucker is. I figure its like a quail by the way he talked.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Chucker is a upland bird that is about twice the size of a quail. The live on steeeeeep rocky hillsides [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img] , they run in covies of about 15 to 20. Just when you have climbed 100 yards straight uphill the little bastards fly down hill. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If you can find them on somewhat flat land they are fun to hunt mainly because they dont fly real far, 50 to 100 yards and then they hide.

They taste wonderfull as Chucker Taco's. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Ok, cool. Thanks Olo.

Btw, you guys would love this forum. I dont post in this one, but I do in the fishing one under the name johnny. Its UBB so just like here for navigation. This link is straight to the hunter forum. Great topics.

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultim...ubb=forum&f=14

[ September 22, 2001 at 12:09 AM: Message edited by: seenbad ]

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OLO:

Just when you have climbed 100 yards straight uphill the little bastards fly down hill. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I gotta laugh at the thought [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Do any of you have dogs that help you hunt? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:

Do any of you have dogs that help you hunt? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grew up mainly bird hunting so we had Labs, I had been thinking about getting another hunting dog and was searching the net when I came across the dog I have now. The dog I have now isnt a hunting dog, she is a Shih Tzu and I adopted her from a shelter. She came from a puppy mill in Taiwan and was a breeder, when they were done with her they just left her in the streets. She has glaucoma and is going blind, after I read all this about her (abby) I just knew I had to have her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] She is the most wonderful dog, and I am truely glad she is part of my family.

My hunting partner has two labs so there is no need for me to get wet to get a duck.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OLO:

I grew up mainly bird hunting so we had Labs, I had been thinking about getting another hunting dog and was searching the net when I came across the dog I have now. The dog I have now isnt a hunting dog, she is a Shih Tzu and I adopted her from a shelter. She came from a puppy mill in Taiwan and was a breeder, when they were done with her they just left her in the streets. She has glaucoma and is going blind, after I read all this about her (abby) I just knew I had to have her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] She is the most wonderful dog, and I am truely glad she is part of my family.

My hunting partner has two labs so there is no need for me to get wet to get a duck.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] awwwwww [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] that's a great story OLO [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I used to have a chocolate lab named.......Bailey, after the Irish Cream [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
    Great dog, they love the water!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~