Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Marvel Movies for 2004 & More!
    Sunday, February 9, 2003 11:17 CST

Marvel Studios' Avi Arad told the Chicago Sun-Times what movies the company is working on for the year 2004.

In addition to the Spider-Man sequel, the studio plans to release The Punisher, Namor: The Sub-Mariner and quite possibly either The Fantastic Four or Ghost Rider.

Arad has said he'd love to cast George Clooney as Fantastic Four's leader, Mr. Fantastic. There's another A-list star he's set his sights on for a future Marvel project.

"Tom Cruise. I would love to have him for 'Iron Man.' If he wanted it, he could definitely be my Tony Stark."

Arad, of course, mentioned there's even a Daredevil sequel waiting to be green-lighted should the first film prove to be a powerhouse. And he is in talks with Jennifer Garner to spin off her character Elektra into her own film franchise.

"It's in the script phase, but Jennifer says she's already attached. She had a great experience making 'Daredevil' and is looking forward to returning to the role," Arad added.

[ February 11, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

So you wanna be a rock & roll and TV star? The former members of Guns n' Roses might just have a job for you. Guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, drummer Matt Sorum and newcomer guitarist Dave Cushner are holding tryouts in Los Angeles to replace Axl Rose -- who splintered the original combo in the Nineties -- and VH1 is filming the proceedings for a new show.
    "I was on my way to rehearsal and thinking about all these reality shows," says Slash. "I thought, 'You know what would be fucking cool? To show a band as it goes through all this bullshit.'"

The band had placed ads in everything from local circulars to Rolling Stone, reading, according to Slash, "Unnamed artist looking for singer-songwriter somewhere in the realm of early Alice Cooper/Steve Tyler, the harder-edged side of McCartney and Lennon."

"We were getting between 200 and 300 CDs a week," Slash says. "We listened to every single one of them. You have to, because you never know. That one that you throw away could be the shit."

In all, more than 500 singers sent demos, and the band has so far auditioned about fifteen of them. Only one finalist, former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, knew the band beforehand, but he doesn't necessarily have the inside track. "He's busy on Broadway, isn't he?" jokes Sorum. "Seriously, we haven't found the one yet."

"I absolutely love [Sebastian]," says McKagan. "He's amazing, but we've just got to be really careful with who's going to front this thing."

"This thing" started when Sorum asked Slash and McKagan to join him in a tribute performance for late Ozzy Osbourne drummer Randy Castillo last spring. It was awesome," Sorum told Rolling Stone. "We sort of looked at each other after that and said let's try and make something work." The three then spent the summer writing songs with a fellow Guns alumnus, guitarist Izzy Stradlin.

"We've written over fifty songs," McKagan says. "There are twelve great songs in there."

McKagan, Sorum and Slash road tested their reunion last month at the Sundance Film Festival, backing actress Gina Gershon and Waylon Jennings' son Shooter through a set of covers and old Gn'R material -- including a rip through "Paradise City" to close the night. The three looked fresh and ready to rock again. And they'd be lying if they said Axl Rose's recent misadventures with a band he's still calling Guns n' Roses weren't motivation.

"When we saw what Axl was doing with his band, we decided there was nothing standing in our way," Sorum says. "We had to take some years to heal from what happened. It was crazy. We're a little older, a little wiser, but we've still got the rock & roll in us. We're ready. We're going to make a rock & roll album."

COLIN DEVENISH, COREY LEVITAN and ANDREW STRICKMAN
    (February 7, 2003)

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

After AC/DC fulfills its contract by delivering its next studio set to Elektra, the veteran rock act will make its subsequent two albums for Epic, guitarist Malcolm Young tells Billboard.com. The two-album deal is part of the extensive contract the band recently signed with the label. As previously reported, the first fruits of that pact arrive Feb. 18, when remastered, extensively repackaged copies of AC/DC albums "Back in Black," "Live" (single- and double-disc versions), "Highway to Hell," "High Voltage, and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" are reissued.

Another five AC/DC reissues arrive March 25, with yet another batch of five coming May 20. The first group features extensive booklets that include essays by longtime rock scribes David Fricke and David Wild, among others, unreleased photos, reproductions of vintage newspaper clippings, handwritten song lyrics, magazine covers, and ticket stubs. The albums are likely to be issued on vinyl later this year.

There will not be any bonus tracks on the new editions, however. "We really haven't got a lot of spares lying around," says Young, who adds that he and his infamous brother Angus usually work up about 30 to 40 song ideas for each album. From that batch, the group will then come up with about 10 or 12 songs. "We'll go in to do 12, if one or two doesn't make it, we'll go into another batch of ideas that we've got, and maybe do a bit more writing in the studio," he reveals.

"But the bottom line is: what we record is what we use," he continues. "Once we feel we've got a good album, we stop at that. That's usually around 12 tracks. We figure if they're not good enough for the album, we're not going to spend all that time trying to make them good; it's like trying to make something that's not quite there, there; and sometimes, you've got the best out of it, so you go, 'that's gone, that one.'" As a result, any leftovers are in extremely rough form ("too rough to be issued," Malcom says).

This spring, the band will begin to hone a few songs out of the Young brothers' latest batch of ideas for its final Elektra album. Malcom says he and his brother have "more than a bunch" of ideas this time around. The band hasn't yet decided on a producer for the set yet. But Malcom says the band has often thought of once again working with Robert John "Mutt" Lange, helmsman for such classics as "Back in Black," "Highway to Hell," and "For Those About To Rock."

"He did a great job back then for us," he says. "So we've always had the idea, every now and then, maybe we should get Mutt back involved; but it comes down to the songs at the end of the day. If it's just a good ole rock'n'roll album, we may go with George, our brother, who produced the first four or five albums. There's other new producers around at the moment, but we haven't really looked into that ourselves."

It's unclear when the album will be released. "We'd love to do it really quick," Malcolm admits. "We'd like to be on the road tomorrow, to be honest. That's our real job -- that's what we love doing. That's the best part of it, being onstage. I know we've played a lot of the same tracks for many years, but we've got such a good band, especially with [original member] Phil [Rudd] drumming back with it."

"It's different every night, there's a different slant to it; some nights, things just sound 10 times better than they should be," he concludes. "It just gives us that adrenaline charge when we go on. We know we're gonna come off two hours later, but we're pushing it all the way; we build it right through, it's amazing how it happens. It's sort of magical, because you couldn't do it in a rehearsal like that, you need that audience in front, and that's really what gets us going. When we see them going, we just fall in line with them, and keep the energy level up, and then we like to take them over the top, one extra, up to 11!"

-- Wes Orshoski, N.Y.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BOSTON IN LIVE CD FIRST?:
    Could Boston be behind another music industry first?
    From the Boston Globe, street date February 7, 2003:
    By Steve Morse, Globe Staff, 2/7/2003
    Experiments are rife in the music business these days -- and Boston will be a test market for one of the most novel of them. Clear Channel Concerts, the nation's largest concert promoter, has ambitious plans to record live CDs of its shows and sell them to patrons within five minutes after those shows end. Clear Channel is targeting Boston as the first site for the new plan, according to sources within the organization.
    Multiple CD burners would be brought in, and the live CDs would probably sell for around $15 in the same way that T-shirts and other merchandise can be purchased after concerts. No one knows what the demand would be, but the project is expected to begin at club shows within a couple of months, then be refined and work its way up to the amphitheater level, though that may not happen until next year, sources say.
    Clear Channel spokeswoman Pam Fallon would not confirm or deny word of the CD burning and sales plan. ''All I can say is that we're working on a series of initiatives in the next couple of months,'' she said.
    Clear Channel vice president Steve Simon, who works at Cambridge's Clear Channel office and has helped manage the platinum-selling band Boston, is said to be heading the project.
    Melodicrock

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Starship Troopers 2 Set to Go Ahead
    Monday, February 10, 2003 7:07 CST

Production Weekly reports that production is scheduled to begin this spring on a sequel to the Paul Verhoeven directed Starship Troopers, based on Robert Heinlein's classic sci-fi novel.

The trade says that Phil Tippett, who created the creature visual effects for the original, will direct the project mid-May in Los Angeles.

Edward Neumeier will also return with a new script, about a small group of troopers who find themselves taking refuge in an abandoned outpost as they attempt to fight against the encroaching arachnids, not realizing that a much graver danger is actually infiltrating their unit.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Brett Leonard Directing Man-Thing
    Monday, February 10, 2003 9:28 CST

According to E! Online, Brett Leonard ("Lawnmower Man," "Virtuosity") will direct Marvel's Man-Thing.

The movie, directed by Brett Leonard (Lawnmower Man, Virtuosity), will seldom show the man--or thing--himself but play him more like an urban legend. Think Bigfoot, Blair Witch or even The Mothman Prophecies. Man-Thing looks to shoot in New Orleans, Arad told us, "I hope in two months."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Jetsons: Steve Martin is being rumoured for a role in the live-action adaptation.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Tadjedin Writing Paramount's The Eye
    Monday, February 10, 2003 6:09 CST

Variety reports that Paramount Pictures is in talks with scripter Massy Tadjedin to pen The Eye, a remake of the hit Asian horror-thriller. The studio acquired the remake rights last year for Paramount-based Cruise/Wagner to produce.

The story concerns a blind woman who undergoes a corneal transplant that restores her sight but also allows her to see unearthly things.

Tadjedin and brother Amir Tadjedin penned Leopold Bloom, a Joseph Fiennes-Elizabeth Shue starrer. She's also rewritten thriller The Jacket for Mandalay Pictures.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw that the Sci-Fi channel is coming out with a weekly tv show based onthe tremors movies....unless they can get Kevin Bacon & Fred Ward, this show might crash.

On a side note. I watched Minority Report over the weekend. Pretty good movie there. I thought it might have been a bit long, but the story was interesting.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Sum of all Fears, great show. I saw xXx, great show, I saw Signs and it stunk I thought. I cannot believe Mel Gibson signed (no pun intended) on for that one.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

JASON NEWSTED: New VOIVOD CD Is 'First Time I Get To Decide What People Hear From Me' - Feb. 10, 2003

Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted claims that he has no idea who his replacement in the group will be and he insists that he is no longer interested in returning to the band despite his previous statements to the contrary.

"I really am happy with [my new band] VOIVOD at this point," Newsted told PITRIFF.com last month. "It's a different feeling with this. They go, 'Dude, we really want you to have a bass solo on this record.' When the fuck did anybody ever ask me for that? NEVER, that's when! 'We think the bass should be louder with more distortion.' Huh? I like this, I like this band.

"[When METALLICA recorded '…And Justice For All'] I had no fucking choice [but to let them mix it with no bass coming through in the finished product]. It wasn't like they'd let me in to help mix it. So what the fuck, I was in between a rock and something else. It's not like I played shitty. I can tell you that much."

With regards to the possible identity of his replacement, Jason said, "I don't fuckin' know [who it's gonna be]. I heard that they are having auditions, but it's a very closed-lip thing. Not even the kids that I know and am friends with that work around [the METALLICA headquarters] are saying anything. They won't even tell me, and they tell me everything. They are really keeping a tight lid on it."

Newsted recently completed work on a new album with VOIVOD, the veteran Canadian metal act whose unique brand of techno-thrash had a huge influence on other groups in the late '80s/early '90s yet enjoyed only modest commercial success — a fact Jason is hoping will change with the upcoming effort.

"I think it's important that people know that [VOIVOD's upcoming self-titled CD] is the first heavy metal album from a recorded member of METALLICA — ever!" Newsted said. "It's seemingly obvious, but not a whole lot of people realize it. I think that statement is fucking huge. As a fan of metal, if I got to be outside of my body for awhile, I'd be like, 'What? The heavy guy in METALLICA put out a record? What the fuck?' They always wanted that shit from me. When 'Load' and 'Reload' came, they were like, 'Where's Jason's influence, man?' I was saying it to myself, too. Now is my chance for them to hear. This is my first time, dude, that I get to decide what people hear from me and the full production. I think this is the best bass I've ever played in my life. It's big. There's a lot to it. There's a lot of confidence there, and I feel very, very alive."

In a separate interview with Australia's Undercover News, Newsted spoke about why it took two years for the legal aspects of his split from METALLICA to be fully resolved.

"You talked earlier about how many records METALLICA sold," Newsted explained. "I read in a press release yesterday — because I don't count the shit — that they say 85 million. How many shops in Melbourne sell METALLICA t-shirts and/or CDs? And/or key-chain and/or bumper stickers or something? Then, how many magazines sell it. Then, how many Internet things sell it JUST in Melbourne? Now multiply that by how many cities there are and how the commerce in the chain for METALLICA works worldwide. Then there is all the domestic things. Then there were albums I was on and albums I wasn't on that I still helped sell through my playing over the years. What logos was I on? What logos wasn't I on? What shirt in Melbourne right now am I going to get a nickel from because I was involved with that record by some kind of bullshit? It is like this fucking tree with branches and leaves and goes on forever and ever. It may not be the Middle East peace talks because there a lot more people butting heads. There is a lot of lawyers in this thing but everybody is pretty peaceable. We also realize that we have to be business partners for the rest of our lives and that is something that we have to keep in consideration. We move on with what we want to do. Certainly if James, Kirk, Lars and Jason could have had anything to do with moving it faster we would have. But by the time legal things kick in from international region to international region it became freaking ridiculous, dude.

"We are talking about a thing that between 1990-2000 brought in about $40 million a year," he continued. "That's not what we get to take home. Don't get me fucking wrong on that. That is not what the band gets. That is what we earned through our playing and concerts and selling t-shirts and things. Now once you whittle that down between all those regions that sell the t-shirts and stickers and all that shit, then you get a little chunk over here. That's the real world. I am not trying to discourage anyone but there are 850 albums released every week in our country. That is crazy. But you still have to slug it out. METALLICA is in this place that is way out of this world".

"It is more positive than negative so please don't get me wrong on that either. There is a lot of things you must deal with. Whoever steps into METALLICA, if they actually go on hire a person and it is someone who goes on to be a member, their life will be the same in a lot of good ways but also in a lot of ways that they are not going to be able to predict yet. As far as demand on your time, get to the right place and do what is right for METALLICA. Those kind of things people don't see how much work and how much time it takes to keep it at that level."

On the subject of his state of mind following his exit from the group, Jason says the mental torture of the legal issues with METALLICA took their toll. "There were times that is certainly effected me emotionally," he said. "It affected my productivity day to day. Maybe a couple of weeks at a time there were certain levels of depression. It was like taking freaking half of your heart out and someone takes it and puts in the freezer for a while and half your brain too for that matter. It was an incredibly devastating thing. Think about whatever you like best, man. Whatever the thing you live for whether it be your wife or your child, whatever you value most that you would do anything for and then it is taken away from you. Even more so, you choose to walk away from it voluntarily. You have to step up and be big enough to walk away from the thing that keeps you alive. That kind of shit is something that can affect anybody. I don't care if you are made of steel, man. The release I had with my other bands was possibly the best medication and/or meditation and therapy that I ever had."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Spider-Man: The Animated Series Voice Casting
    Monday, February 10, 2003 8:01 CST

'Jeremy A.' pointed us to the Internet Movie Database where they look to have an updated cast list for the upcoming Spider-Man: The Animated Series from MTV.

As previously announced, Neil Patrick Harris is Peter Parker/Spider-Man, with Lisa Loeb voicing Mary Jane Watson, Ian Ziering doing Harry Osborn, Eve as the Black Cat and Flea voicing Electro.

Other familiar names now on board are Keith David as Agent Mosely, Michael Dorn as Kraven the Hunter, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin, Virginia Madsen as Silver Sable, Christian Maguire as Billy Connors and Rob Zombie as the Lizard.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Korn and Disturbed Headed For OzzFest?
    02/10/2003

(2/10/03, 1 p.m. ET) -- Although there has been no official confirmations, word on the street is that Korn and Disturbed will be joining Chevelle on OzzFest 2003. Also in negotiations for the tour is Marilyn Manson, despite his controversial appearance on the festival two years ago.

Publicists for both Korn and Disturbed couldn't confirm or deny the reports, and Manson's spokesperson wasn't available at press time. A tour spokesperson also couldn't comment.

Dates for OzzFest 2003 haven't been announced.

-- Darren Davis, New York

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

ROB ZOMBIE: No Time To Think About The Follow-Up To 'The Sinister Urge' - Feb. 10, 2003

ROB ZOMBIE recently told MTV.com that between finishing work on the long in-process RAMONES tribute album, "We're a Happy Family", and trying to finish his still-untitled song for the "The Matrix: Reloaded" soundtrack, he has yet to find the time to think about the follow-up to 2001's "The Sinister Urge".

"I haven't had time to settle down and think about a new record, but there's probably songs [left over from the last album]," Zombie said, speculating that a new album could be out by year's end or early 2004.

Zombie's movie directorial debut, "House of 1,000 Corpses", is slated to hit theaters on April 11, to be preceded by the soundtrack on March 25.

The complete track listing for the "House of 1,000 Corpses" soundtrack is as follows:

01. ROB ZOMBIE - "House of 1,000 Corpses"
    02. ROB ZOMBIE - "Everybody Scream"
    03. BUCK OWENS - "Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass"
    04. ROB ZOMBIE - "Run Rabbit Run"
    05. HELEN KANE - "I Wanna be Loved by You"
    06. ROB ZOMBIE - "Pussy Liquor"
    07. RAMONES - "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"
    08. SLIM WHITMAN - "I Remember You"
    09. ROB ZOMBIE - Little Piggy"
    10. ROB ZOMBIE (featuring Lionel Richie & Trina) - "Brick House 2003"
    11. Howdy Folks *
    12. Saddle up the Mule *
    13. Stuck in the Mud *
    14. Holy Miss Moley *
    15. Into the Pit *
    16. Something for You Men *
    17. Scarecrow Attack *
    18. My Baby Boy
    19. Investigation and the Smokehouse *
    20. The Bigger the Cushion *
    21. Drive out the Rabbit *
    22. Mary's Escape *
    23. Ain't the Only Thing Tasty *
    24. Dr. Satan *
    25. To the House *

* indicates score

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

A film so unnecessarily needing a follow-up, "The Sixth Sense", might be headed for the sequel treatment. While talking to E Online, Spyglass Productions Roger Birnbaum said it's not out of the question. "We have an interest in it," Birnbaum says. "We have the rights. If we can put it together the right way." The site reports no word if Bruce Willis or Haley Joel Osment would return.