Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Nirvana's Greatest Hits Due In October
    08/23/2002

(8/23/02, 3 p.m. ET) -- Nirvana's Greatest Hits is set to hit stores October 22, according to a Universal Music release schedule. It's the first greatest hits package by the trio, and it's rumored to feature a previously unreleased track, "You Know You're Right."

Although the song's inclusion hasn't been confirmed, it's thought that the track is part of a legal settlement being worked out between former Nirvana members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, and Courtney Love, widow of the late Kurt Cobain, who wrote and sang most of the band's material. Grohl and Novoselic are in a battle with Love for control of the Nirvana LLC, which controls all management decisions for the band. Love successfully lobbied for an injunction that prevented the winter 2001 release of a Nirvana boxed set that was to feature "You Know You're Right" and other rarities.

Love's breach-of-contract case with Universal, separate from the Nirvana LLC case, was postponed on Tuesday (August 20), with talks continuing in hopes of reaching an out-of-court settlement.

-- Darren Davis, New York

[ August 30, 2002, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Guns N' Roses Taps Weezer As Opener, Band Used In Football Noise Drill
    08/23/2002

(8/23/02, 5 p.m. ET) -- Guns N' Roses has tapped Weezer as its opening act on Monday night (August 26) at the London Arena. GN'R singer Axl Rose was impressed with Rivers Cuomo and company after catching them from the side of the stage during a festival in Tokyo earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Guns N' Roses is helping the Arkansas State football team prepare for the season. The band's music is being blasted at players to simulate crowd noise so the team can use hand signals to communicate instead of communicating verbally. The team was scheduled to play Virginia Tech on Sunday (August 25).

In other Weezer news, the live EP The Lion And The Witch, recorded during the band's recent 2002 World Cup Tour, is due out at select independent record stores on September 24.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Pearl Jam's New Single To Hit Radio September 17, Stores October
    08/23/2002

(8/23/02, 4 p.m. ET) -- New music from Pearl Jam will be hitting the airwaves by September 17. "I Am Mine" is the first single from the still-untitled album, which has been pushed up to a November 12 release. The single is tentatively slated to arrive in record stores October 8. The B-side to the single is "Down."

The song, which features a waltz-style 3/4 tempo, was written by singer Eddie Vedder, and first played in public by Pearl Jam last October at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit concert, held near San Francisco. A video clip of the Bridge School live version is available for streaming at the band's label website (sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/). Vedder also played the tune at several solo performances earlier this year.

In the lyrics, Vedder sings "Me, I figure as each breath goes by / I only own my mind," with a chorus of "And the feeling it gets left behind / Oh, the innocence broken with time." While the lyrics do not seem to refer to a particular incident or situation, in the current Pearl Jam Ten Club fan newsletter, Vedder appears to indicate that at least several of the new songs were inspired by the terrorist attacks on September 11, and their continuing effects.

The album was produced by the band with Adam Kasper and mixed by Brendan O'Brien, a longtime band collaborator, whose recent work as producer includes Bruce Springsteen's The Rising, which also resonates with songs drawn from September 11 experiences. -- Darren Davis, New York and Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Prince To Release First Live Album
    08/23/2002

(8/23/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- Prince will release his first-ever compilation of live material in the upcoming boxed set titled One Night Alone. The singer made the announcement via his NPG Music Club website, where members can download exclusive musical content from the "Purple One" to their computers.

This new collection features songs all recorded during the artist's critically acclaimed One Night Alone tour, which visited several cities in the U.S. and Canada earlier this year. For the outing, Prince and the New Power Generation hit the stage each night with no pre-determined set list, and without the fanfare of large stage production elements. The results of this approach gave fans simply the man and his music, which is captured on the One Night Alone set.

While all the tracks appearing on the release have not been announced, we do know that One Night Alone will contain the songs "Adore," "When You Were Mine," "The Everlasting Now," "The Beautiful Ones," "Condition Of The Heart," "Strange Relationship," "Anna Stesia," "Diamonds And Pearls," "Xenophobia," "Take Me With U," "Raspberry Beret," "Joy In Repetition," "Alphabet Street," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "I Wanna B Your Lover," and "Rainbow Children." The exact release date had not been announced as of press time.

-- Chiam Chad Dougatz, New York

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    NEWS - Guns N' Roses Taps Weezer As Opener, Band Used In Football Noise Drill
    08/23/2002

(8/23/02, 5 p.m. ET) -- Guns N' Roses has tapped Weezer as its opening act on Monday night (August 26) at the London Arena. GN'R singer Axl Rose was impressed with Rivers Cuomo and company after catching them from the side of the stage during a festival in Tokyo earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Guns N' Roses is helping the Arkansas State football team prepare for the season. The band's music is being blasted at players to simulate crowd noise so the team can use hand signals to communicate instead of communicating verbally. The team was scheduled to play Virginia Tech on Sunday (August 25).

In other Weezer news, the live EP The Lion And The Witch, recorded during the band's recent 2002 World Cup Tour, is due out at select independent record stores on September 24.

They really need to switch.. GNR should open for Weezer. (That way, the crowd won't leave early)
    Your favorite band sucks.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yea.....Weezer Rules!
    I am awesome

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - U2 Shoots 'Electrical Storm' Video On French Beach
    08/25/2002

(8/25/02, 7 a.m. ET) -- U2 shot video footage for its forthcoming single, "Electrical Storm," on a French Beach in Eze, near singer Bono's home there on Wednesday (August 21).

According to an eyewitness report posted on U2France.com, Bono and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. were both dressed in black, with Mullen standing at the edge of a tub filled with water and a bathing mermaid. Scenes were also shot of the mermaid on a garden swing.

The Irish Echo newspaper identified the mermaid as 25-year-old actress Samantha Morton, who co-starred with Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell in the film Minority Report as a futuristic oracle.

Recorded in Dublin, London, and France, "Electrical Storm." is one of the new tracks slated for U2's Greatest Hits 1990-2000 collection, scheduled for release on DVD and CD in November.

U2 has also recorded "Beat On The Brat" for the upcoming Ramones tribute album, We're A Happy Family. During the band's 2001 Elevation tour, Bono played the Ramones' "I Remember You," several times on acoustic guitar and also often dedicated U2's "In A Little While" to the late Joey Ramone, who loved the song.

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I do realize nobody cares about Britney Spears, but I thought the quotes in bold might interest a few! -FH

Britney's Tales of Woe (and Drinking)
    by Kimberly Potts
    Aug 23, 2002, 5:00 PM PT

If you hear Britney Spears coo, "Hit me, baby, one more time," she may not be singing one of her signature tunes. She may be asking for a refill.

In a People magazine cover interview hitting newsstands today, the 20-year-old pop tart finally and completely sheds her Mouseketeer ears--dishing about drinking, smoking, breaking up with 'N Sync's Justin Timberlake, celebrating her parents' own bust-up, bird-flipping in Mexico and returning to the singles scene.

"The first week, I was so excited I was off that I partied every night. I drink," the technically underaged Spears tells the mag of her recent post-tour lifestyle. "[But] everything in moderation. Smoking, drinking, sex--why is it such a big deal with me? As you get to 20, you grow up, you experiment. You feel more comfortable in your skin."

How comfortable?

"I don't have trouble with nudity or sex," says Spears, also the cover girl on the new issue of Us Weekly. "When I was younger, honestly, I walked around the house naked."

Okay, for those of you still digesting that last bit of info, hurry up, because it doesn't end there.

Spears describes the breakup of her parents--mom Lynne and dad Jamie are ending their 30-year marriage--as "the best thing that's ever happened to my family. My mom and dad, bottom line, do not get along."

She also concedes to People that she raised a middle finger to photographers who surrounded her car in Mexico last month and recently hung with Leonardo DiCaprio at the Playboy Mansion. "He looks hot these days," Spears says, "but all I remember is seeing a bunch of naked girls and thinking, I got to get out of here."

Lest you think the Britster has gone completely blotto, she denies suffering a "breakdown" following the end of her tour (it closed out July 28 in Mexico, following a non-lengthy five-song set) and the opening of her poorly reviewed New York City restaurant, Nyla. (Trust us, the duck-and-wild mushroom étoufée is not the culinary delight you might have imagined.)

Brit does admit, though, that her split with Timberlake was more than difficult.

"[It] was horrible. Very upsetting, and it took a lot out of me. He was my first real love, and I doubt I'll ever be able to love anyone like that again," says Spears, who will be a presenter at Thursday's MTV Video Music Awards in New York, where Timberlake will debut a number from his upcoming solo CD, Justified. "But I'd rather spend two days with my soulmate than the rest of my life with some guy who doesn't mean as much."

Looking to the future, the popster says she wants to dive back into the dating pool ("I'm just a girl wanting a guy to love me," says Brit, channeling Julia Roberts in Notting Hill), relax by the swimming pool of her $1.7 million Hollywood Hills mansion ("I'm rich, freakin' rich") and shed her goody-goody image ("I never wanted to hide who I was, but until about a year ago I was trying to fit an image and trying to be someone I wasn't").

Her well publicized break from the music world apparently will not extend to Hollywood, as she tells People she's reading a romantic comedy script that she may begin filming in October.

As for her fans being there when she does decide to, oops, do it again, in the music biz, CosmoGirl! entertainment editor Carissa Rosenberg says Spears' time out is not the career suicide some are making it out to be.

"It's not a matter of her losing [fans] or not losing them. She's always going to have to go on to the next thing. And they are interested in what's in front of them. So she can take a few months off or a year off, and if she comes back with something they like, they'll be into it.

"She's a 20-year-old, and she's just trying to figure out who she is, like every other 20-year-old."

Particularly those who wear pythons.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

MIKE PATTON Speaks Out On FAITH NO MORE, Touring With TOOL - Aug. 24, 2002

Ex-FAITH NO MORE frontman Mike Patton has told Billboard that a possibility exists that a few previously-unreleased tracks from his former band may surface at some point in the future.

"If it is up to me, no," Patton said. "But it ain't up to me, so maybe. If I believed in them I would have put them out long ago. There are reasons that bands and musicians make demos and outtakes — because they are not good enough to make the record. A lot of people forget that."

Patton also praised TOOL for their decision to take out his TOMAHAWK project on the road with them despite the fact that his group adds no commercial value to the package.

"[TOOL] are friends of ours and I guess they like our band," Patton stated. "God bless them that they have the balls to follow through with their instincts. I'm sure that there were a billion and one people trying to talk them out of it because we don't sell a lot of records and we're not going to pay them to play with them. Basically, us being on this bill is not doing anyone any favors, industry-wise."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BLACK SABBATH Displays Classic "Symptoms" On Rhino Set - Aug. 24, 2002

On October 15th, Warner Bros./ Rhino Records will issue a 29-track, two-CD package from BLACK SABBATH, entitled Symptom of the Universe: The Original Black Sabbath (1970-1978), containing studio cuts spanning eight albums, from the group's self-titled 1970 debut to 1978's Never Say Die, the last studio album recorded before frontman Ozzy Osbourne exited the band to pursue a solo career. The compilation will feature SABBATH standards such as "Paranoid", "Iron Man", "War Pigs", and "Sweet Leaf", but also include the non-LP single "Evil Woman", which has never before seen commercial release in the U.S.

Here is the complete track listing for Symptom of the Universe:

01. Black Sabbath
    02. N.I.B.
    03. The Wizard
    04. Warning
    05. Evil Woman
    06. War Pigs
    07. Paranoid
    08. Iron Man
    09. Fairies Wear Boots
    10. Sweet Leaf
    11. Children of the Grave
    12. Into the Void
    13. Lord of This World
    14. After Forever
    15. Changes
    16. Snowblind
    17. Laguna Sunrise
    18. Tomorrow's Dream
    19. Supernaut
    20. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
    21. Fluff
    22. Sabbra Cadabra
    23. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
    24. Symptom of the Universe
    25. Hole in the Sky
    26. Rock'n'Roll Doctor
    27. Dirty Women
    28. Never Say Die
    29. A Hard Road

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

ZAKK WYLDE Threatens Interviewer Over "Gay" Comment - Aug. 24, 2002

OZZY OSBOURNE/BLACK LABEL SOCIETY guitarist Zakk Wylde snapped during an interview with St. Louis DJ Guy Favazz (of KSHE-95 Real Rock Radio) on Monday, August 19th after being asked about the rumors of baseball superstar Mike Piazza (Zakk's "best friend" and Godfather of one of his children) being gay.

The following is Favazz's account of the event, as posted via the message board at www.blacklabelsociety.net:

"I'd like to set the record straight on what happened on Zakks bus Monday evening. I must first say that while Zakk and I aren't 'friends' he has known me for the past five years. He co-hosted with me on my show 5 years ago...picking out all the music, etc. It was a thrill of a lifetime. We then went out to strip clubs and bars where Zakk jumped on stage at each place and ripped their collective heads off. Once when BLS came through town Zakk and I were out again taking in the strip clubs. I say all this to give you a little background on our relationship, which I would have described as friendly but we weren't buds.

"My good friend Randy Cannis set up the interview. He was with me along with his friend Matt, two others who I didn't know and Zakk's tour manager and bodyguard. Right off the bat I could tell that he was a little agitated for whatever reason. I was taping it on a mini disc player to be played back when I got back to our broadcast van from inside the venue. I asked Zakk to try and not use curse words because I couldn't edit from there. He started cursing almost immediately.

"The interview was going along fine although I could tell that this wasn't quite the same Zakk I've known in the past. My question about Piazza was brought up in a joking way...in fact, it was right after Zakk stated he keeps his wife's pussy juice in his beard during the tour. I said, 'So what's this crap about Mike Piazza being a homosexual... Did you guys ever hook up'...everyone on the bus laughed. Zakk said, 'How would you like it if I shoved that microphone up your ass?' Again we all laughed but then he turned on me. He told me it wasn't funny...that he'd like to kick me off the goddamn bus and break my fucking neck. I immediately apologized twice but to no avail. I honestly thought Zakk would laugh it off and say something like, 'Oh c'mon man...do you want him?'...you know, totally blow it off.

"The look on his face was incredible. I knew he was ready to swing at me...I'm no dummy. It would have been lights out for me. Instead he punched the mini disc player in hopes of breaking it but it didn't break. All the audio is there. I then got the fuck off the bus as quickly as I could.

"I gotta tell ya...it was very upsetting. I would have never asked that question or joked about had I thought Zakk wouldn't joke right back with me. It wasn't staged...it's real. Zakk then threatened to 'fucking kill me'...I took it seriously.

"So, just to let you know it's real. I apologized to Zakk on the spot which did no good. I think he then totally overreacted. It's too bad, really. I would like to remember Zakk the way that it was a few years ago when he wasn't back with Ozzy. I still love jamming to the guy and love his style on stage but it's not the same Zakk I met back in 1997."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

GUNS N' ROSES: PUKKELPOP FESTIVAL Performance To Be Webcast - Aug. 24, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES' performance at Belgium's Pukkelpop Festival on Saturday, August 24th will be broadcast online. For more information,
    click here

In other news, here are the set lists for GNR's recently-completed Japanese shows as part of the Summer Sonic Festival:

August 17th, 2002 - Chiba Marine Stadium, Chiba, Japan

01. Welcome to the Jungle
    02. It's So Easy
    03. Mr. Brownstone
    04. Live and Let Die
    05. (intro of Oh My God)
    06. Think About You
    07. You Could Be Mine
    08. Sweet Child O' Mine
    09. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    10. Out Ta Get Me
    11. Buckethead Solo > Rhiad
    12. Madagascar
    13. November Rain
    14. The Blues
    15. Buckethead solo > Patience
    16. Rocket Queen
    17. Robin solo > Chinese Democracy
    18. Nightrain
    Encore:
    19. Paradise City

August 18th, 2002 - WTC Open-Air Stadium, Osaka, Japan

01. Welcome to the Jungle
    02. It's So Easy
    03. Mr. Brownstone
    04. Live and Let Die
    05. Think About You
    06. You Could Be Mine
    07. Robin solo > Sweet Child O' Mine
    08. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    09. Out Ta Get Me
    10. Rhiad
    11. Madagascar
    12. Buckethead solo> November Rain
    13. Rocket Queen
    14. Nighttrain
    15. The Blues
    16. Chinese Democracy
    17. Buckethead solo > Patience
    Encore:
    18. Robin solo > Paradise City

On a funny note, at one point during the Osaka performance, Axl mistakenly shouted "Tokyo" to the audience. After a few songs, he apologized for his error.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

JERRY CANTRELL: I'm Still Dealing With LAYNE STALEY's Loss - Aug. 22, 2002

Former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell told Launch that he's still trying to deal with the loss of late AIC singer Layne Staley, who was found dead on the couch in his apartment from a heroin and cocaine overdose on April 19th, surrounded by drug paraphernalia.

"Everything's different now that Layne's gone and I'm still in the process of dealing with the loss of him," Cantrell said. "And I'm sure I've got a long way to go with that. I'm just getting up every day and remembering how proud I am to have been a part of ALICE and how lucky I was to have a friend like Layne for as long as I did and the things that we did."

In other news, Cantrell will be embarking a on U.S. headlining tour this fall. Confirmed dates so far are as follows:

Oct. 10 - San Antonio, TX - Sunset Station
    Oct. 11 - Austin, TX - La Zona Rosa
    Oct. 12 - Dallas, TX - Deep Ellum Live
    Oct. 13 - Oklahoma City, OK - Coca Cola Bricktown Event Center
    Oct. 15 - Tempe, AZ - Nita's Hideaway
    Oct. 16 - San Diego, CA - 4th & B
    Oct. 18 - West Hollywood, CA - Roxy Theatre
    Oct. 19 - Anaheim, CA - House Of Blues
    Oct. 20 - San Francisco, CA - Slim's
    Oct. 21 - San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
    Oct. 23 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
    Oct. 25 - Salt Lake City, UT - X-Scape (Formerly DV8)
    Oct. 26 - Colorado Springs, CO - 32 Bleu
    Oct. 27 - Lincoln, NE - Royal Grove
    Oct. 29 - Sauget, IL - Pop's
    Oct. 30 - Peoria, IL - Madison Theatre
    Oct. 31 - Chicago, IL - House Of Blues
    Nov. 01 - Cleveland, OH - Odeon Concert Club
    Nov. 03 - Ithaca, NY - The Haunt
    Nov. 04 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theatre
    Nov. 05 - Boston, MA - Avalon
    Nov. 07 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    Nov. 08 - New York, NY - The World
    Nov. 09 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
    Nov. 11 - Norfolk, VA - The NorVa
    Nov. 12 - Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
    Nov. 14 - Atlanta, GA - Coca Cola Roxy Theatre
    Nov. 15 - New Orleans, LA - House Of Blues
    Nov. 16 - Houston, TX - Numbers

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    ZAKK WYLDE Threatens Interviewer Over "Gay" Comment - Aug. 24, 2002

OZZY OSBOURNE/BLACK LABEL SOCIETY guitarist Zakk Wylde snapped during an interview with St. Louis DJ Guy Favazz (of KSHE-95 Real Rock Radio) on Monday, August 19th after being asked about the rumors of baseball superstar Mike Piazza (Zakk's "best friend" and Godfather of one of his children) being gay.
    The guy struck a nerve. I know, I know--You are all very welcome for having me point out the obvious.

But this quote from a Metal Sludge interview with Zakk Wylde already said it all:

Originally posted by Mean_Street in Zakk Wylde Interview:
    NOTE TO SLUDGEAHOLICS: This next question Zakk didn't quite get. It was suppose[d] to be the biggest misconception about a person or thing, but instead Zakk just finished the sentence. None of his answers are misconceptions, just things that are true. Maybe he was drunk during this part, who knows.

10. Finish this sentence, "The biggest misconception about ___________ is?" For example, "The biggest misconception about MTV is that they play videos." You get the idea.

Zakk Wylde: Anal Sex is awesome when I get the wife drunk
    Maybe Zakk got drunk and mistook Piazza for his wife? I'm not accusing him or anything ... I'm just wondering...

Shit. I know you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, but right now ... I'm ROTFLMFAO! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Former GUNS N' ROSES Trio Make Collaboration 'Main Priority' - Aug. 25, 2002

Former GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan has told UK publication Classic Rock that his much-talked-about project with ex-fellow Gunners Slash (guitar) and Matt Sorum (drums) is "the main priority" for everyone involved, with plans to record original material as soon as a suitable vocalist has been found.

As previously reported, the trio had jammed with former BUCKCHERRY singer Josh Todd, but eventually decided to continue their vocalist search.