Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just reading about Courtny Love and how she says she's got ADD (according to her, so has Ryder!) and last night on "Boston Public' there was a piano playing kid who had it and needed medication etc etc.
    Seems like everyone knows or knows of someone who has been diagnosed with it...just wondering what people thought of the whole thing.
    My lttle bloke was labeled ADHD and was put on Dex for it but the wanker who prescibed it didn't look into any other possibilities, so we took him off it. It SEEMS (touch wood) that he's growing out of the behaviour that got him this label anyway!
    What do you guys think?
    Any odd experiences?

[ November 07, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yeah, I have to agree that the polotics is russia are all messed up too. Wait, what the hell were we talking about again?

Seiously,
    I think that its been around forever, its not until recently that they came up with a name and medication for it. When I was a kid I was a "hyperactive shitbird" according to my dad and I can guarantee that I had (have?) it. In my opinion giving kids medication for it will only fuck them up down the road. IMHO Less sugar and more one on one is what's needed [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What the hell am I doing here?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Without saying too much... I do believe the condition exhists and that the medicine is very good in treating those who have it. For awhile I think that people were jumping on the bandwagon and it was being misdiagnosed and therefore people were on the meds who didnt need it. Now I think just the opposite is happening. Everyone is now worried about misdiagnosis so they DONT want to put their kids on meds and they really do need it.

[ November 07, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont believe for 2 seconds that any dissorder actually exsists. I mean, come on.. what? You cant pay attention for 5 minu... OH LOOK A BIRD!.... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

[ November 07, 2002, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a neighbor of mine says the school nurse (not their doctor) diagnosed their kid with ADD. her doctor said the kid was fine. so she does some checking around, and finds that if a kid has ADD, the state gives the school additional money, but the school doesn't neccessarily put the kid in a different situation. school's runnin' a neat little scam there to get some extra $...

i'm not sure what i believe about ADD...i know i didn't get any meds if i got out of line...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We had this guy at my work, total asshole. He used to defend his assholedness on the fact that he suffers from ADD. I told him "no, you suffer from being a complete piece of shit, there is a difference"

[ November 07, 2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I have a son who's ADHD. Have read every possible publication I can find on the subject. Based on specific neurological tests there is a distinct difference in the way his brain processes information and simply put there is a specific region that runs slower than average. We spent 2 years trying alternative methods before going down the medication path. There are a lot of improved drugs available to that are far more specialized than ridilin to target specific regions of the brain. Needless to say medications have helped him significantly... he's an honor roll student now. Occationally we have some problems but his impulsive and disruptive behavior he's more able to control now.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

first of all, anyone who is going to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD should be done so by a liscensed psychologist.

some of ADD and ADHD is neurologically based. it is brought on by chemical imbalances within the brain, most notably the neurotransmitter dopamine.

the rest of ADD or ADHD is a learned behavior, meaning people within their environmrnt reinforce their behaviors.

medication alone will not cure what is going on. the best way to combat it is with medication and good behavioral intervention.

ritalin is the most commonly prescribed drug for such a condition. other drugs such as dexedrine and adderall are also used. it has long been thought that drugs such as ritalin cause harmful bodily effects to children taking it. there have been thousands of studies done on the drug and it has proved to be safe time and time again.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by JMJ:
    first of all, anyone who is going to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD should be done so by a liscensed psychologist.

some of ADD and ADHD is neurologically based. it is brought on by chemical imbalances within the brain, most notably the neurotransmitter dopamine.

the rest of ADD or ADHD is a learned behavior, meaning people within their environmrnt reinforce their behaviors.

medication alone will not cure what is going on. the best way to combat it is with medication and good behavioral intervention.

ritalin is the most commonly prescribed drug for such a condition. other drugs such as dexedrine and adderall are also used. it has long been thought that drugs such as ritalin cause harmful bodily effects to children taking it. there have been thousands of studies done on the drug and it has proved to be safe time and time again.

JMJ
    Dude [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Youre like....all smart n' stuff. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

I call bullshit on about 70 percent of what people classify as ADD. I think its the single most over diagnosed condition in modern medical history. A kids hyper? ADD. Bad grades? ADD. Whatever. Ritalin prescribed for it is a bridge drug that connects neuro transmitters in the brain that are weak or somehow disconnected. If a kid takes ritalin and it has no effect, it's bunk. The kid just has a lot of energy and a personality that is more outgoing. I had a buddy whose Dr. said his kid should take ritalin because his school said he is hyper active. He started giving the kid coffee in the morning (which has the opposite effect on kids than us), and the kid settled down.

There is a hell of a racket going on with prescriptions with the schools and pill pusher as somebody touched on earlier.

Second and third opinions are a must. Otherwise, you could be choking your kid with drugs that they don't need and there are not many long term affect tests on. Fuck that. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] Some kids are just hyper. It doesn't mean they have a "condition".
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I find it hard to beleive, and unacceptable, to give children medication for what most of us experienced in our lifetimes: Boredom. Too many children are misdiagnosed, and as mentioned, schools do get additional funding for a host of broken children. Teachers need to remember that kids are kids, not stoic little worms that sit neatly in their seats for 8 hours a day. We didn't have problems with all the previous generations, now all of a sudden, this new generation for the past 10-15 years are neeing medication to treat being a kid! It's a joke, and I firmly beleive that children need to be children. Schools need to focus on new techniques to motivate kids and keep them interested, not using medication. AND I have worked as a teacher in a public elementary school for 3 years earlier in my life, and I DO know what I am talking about. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I find it hard to beleive, and unacceptable, to give children medication for what most of us experienced in our lifetimes: Boredom. Too many children are misdiagnosed, and as mentioned, schools do get additional funding for a host of broken children. Teachers need to remember that kids are kids, not stoic little worms that sit neatly in their seats for 8 hours a day. We didn't have problems with all the previous generations, now all of a sudden, this new generation for the past 10-15 years are neeing medication to treat being a kid! It's a joke, and I firmly beleive that children need to be children. Schools need to focus on new techniques to motivate kids and keep them interested, not using medication. AND I have worked as a teacher in a public elementary school for 3 years earlier in my life, and I DO know what I am talking about. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    This is exactly what I think!
    I work with kids and have yet to have ANY trouble with any of them diagnosed with ADD/ADHD..including my little bloke.
    Well said!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We live in a drug society...striving toward the ideal that everything can somehow be cured with meds. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

I think that giving a brain drug like Ritalin to very young kids whose brains are still rapidly developing is more harmful than people know.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Be afraid, seen. I'm with you on this one. Kids with short attention spans and lots of energy are probably just... kids. Some people just don't want to deal with that, so they medicate them. In doing so they put the child's future at risk.

Did you know that the military won't accept individuals that have taken a certain amount of ridalin? There's bound to be a pretty damn good reason for that.

Kids need discipline and something to do! They get sat down in school all day, then go home and watch TV or play video games. Is it any wonder that they get bored and fidget? If they went outside or did something active with their imagination they'd have a lot less excess energy, and their mind would be busy enough to keep them somewhat occupied.

Is there a connection between the rise in more sedentary/both parents working kids and the rise in these sorts of "disorders?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll be one of the first to agree that many parents turn to medication first before dealing with behavioral issues with discipline and keeping their children occupied. I'll also say that I think that most doctors are too quick to turn to medication as the answer. Hell, I think most people that are doctors now are just in it because it makes big money, but that's another issue... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

However, ADD and ADHD are very real, and I don't think we should discount all cases because of a generally wide-sweeping problem of mis-diagnosis and treatment. I've viewed no less than three children diagnosed as such, both before and after their treatment, and it certainly works in cases where it is necessary (key word there). Personally, I think it's very reasonable to accept that these are actual disorders that do exist, yet we have to be discerning in our decision-making regarding what is a case that requires medical attention, and what can be solved through discipline and activity. Here's the way I look at it, and this may sound harsh, but here in America over the last thirty or so years, we have a culture that has dirtied its' gene pool with drug use, alcoholism; poor diet, sleep, and exercise lifestyles, etc. When the people that lead these lifestyles reproduce, and we get a few generations into those gene pools, you can bet your ass you're going to have a lot of children born with disabilities/birth defects that may range from mild to severe. Not to mention that parenting skills have gone downhill for the most part. When people begin relying on talk-show hosts and other media figures for their child-rearing practices, their skills become watered down and less effective. They may be convenient for parents that have busy schedules, but they are the equivalent of fast-food to me - and when a body tries to live on that, it suffers. (Sorry, I'm the king of analogies to a fault)
    Anyway, I think we need to keep a healthy balance between suspicion of diagnosis and accepting the reality of the cases where the diagnosis is accurate, and acting accordingly to each. There's always a lot of grey area between the black and white in any issue, and we need to open-minded in regards to every one of these situations.

[ November 08, 2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]