Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

this is really getting out of control.

what's wrong with these guys? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I've always said that a person who deprives themselves of sex is either lying or demented

sex is a biological need.
    I can see many priests and nuns sitting around in the room feeling guilty about masterbating themselves. to me that is sad.

and then you have these priests that have sex with kids.

and every day I hear new cases.

now after watching 60 Minutes tonight I find out there is a nest of em' down in New Mexico [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

I don't want to get into a big religious debate, because everyone's religious experience is their own personal thing.

it just seems everyday there's a new case, some priest who had sex with 100 kids.

I'm not Catholic but from how I see it someday everyone might even give up on the Corporate Catholic Church. is that when the all the fire and brimstone stuff starts happening??

bring on the debate!
    represent Catholics! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hain, i tell you what, it's frustrating to me too.

Ain't no secret that I am Catholic.

I'm curious though. Is this just a US thing or is it a world wide phenomenon? The Pope just called all the US Cardinals to the vatican to discuss this issue with him. (SNL did a hysterical skit on it btw) But as far as I know only the US Cardinals. If that's true there's two options
    1) It is only a problem in the US and the US Church better figure out and fix the problem. If that means hoisting a few of the enabling Cardinals and Bishops out the door, then so be it. If they allowed a molester to continue to molest, they are as criminal as they abuser is.

2) It is a world wide problem, and the officials involved in those crimes are just better at covering up the abuse in other countries.

The thing is, and the thing that is most prominent is that most of the molestations that occured took place 20-30 years ago. Doesn't lessen the impact that it had on those lives. It's just that now that a few found the courage to say it out loud, others are doing it too. Some are legitimate and others aren't. For example, the Cardinal or Arch Bishop in CA who was charged by a woman for molesting her when she was a teenager. He encouraged the authorities to investigate quickly and thoroughly. It turns out that her allegations were completely unfounded. She is mentally ill, and had never had contact with that priest.

I'm not saying that all or even most of the complaints are false. Sadly I believe they are true. Even sadder is the fact that in most of these cases, the statute of limitations has expired, and these abusers cannot be prosecuted. At least not criminally. There are still civil claims that can be brought against them and the leaders who allowed the abusers to continue to be in positions where they could abuse again.

I'm also of the belief that not all priests are abusers. Though they all have that taint now, and they are all aware of it. I'm curious to see what transpires with the meeting in the Vatican.

Break from the church... hmm... I believe that no matter what a person's status and occupation (be it priest, cop, president, doctor, iron worker, garbage man) they are still human. As such, they are prone to human weaknesses.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by hain23x:

I'm not Catholic but from how I see it someday everyone might even give up on the Corporate Catholic Church. is that when the all the fire and brimstone stuff starts happening??
    You know for years I've heard debates about the American church breaking away from the Roman church. Much of the debate was because the Pope holds firm on many things that people in the Western world feel he sould loosen up on.

One of them is birth control

Another is celibacy for religious (Cardinal George even spoke out against continued vows of abstinance on an Easter Sunday press conference!)

Involvement of women in the church

Will it happen? I've heard this debate for 10-15 years now. Nothing's happened so far. I suspect many are waiting to see what will happen post John Paul II.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

I don't want to knock religion in this thread. Something that made me mad watching 60 minutes yesterday was when a girl said that when she was molested by the priest she lost her faith. THAT is sad.

Maybe the reason that all the cases are old is because it takes awhile for kids to get to the point in their lives to come forward.

Hey LA, did you read that recent article here in Chicago about the old guy who was molested back in the 50s? He had signed a confidentiality agreement to not talk about it but then came out recently even though he was jeapordizing the agreement.

I'm not Catholic, but when I was in the 8th grade, I quit going to church because the preacher at our church told a friend of mine to stop bringing this African American friend of ours to service [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I have faith in a higher power but NOT in organized religion.

The thing that kills me, is that when these priests are caught, all they do is send the guy to another state.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

and I still stand behind my position of this whole "no sex for you" thing.

That just goes against nature. And it creates a deep psychological problem. You HAVE to have sex! Either by yourself or with a partner. And it's easy for these priests to get their secret sex by molesting kids. They know that the kid is too young and confused to question the act.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't want to knock religion in this thread. Something that made me mad watching 60 minutes yesterday was when a girl said that when she was molested by the priest she lost her faith. THAT is sad.
    Agreed.

Maybe the reason that all the cases are old is because it takes awhile for kids to get to the point in their lives to come forward.
    That has to be hard to do. I can't imagine. Then the courage to speak about it in public. I give them lots of credit for coming forward, especially when being quiet is so much easier to do. Being quiet though is part of what helps these abusers to continue doing what they've done. I give these people lots of credit for coming forward, even if it has been a long time.

Hey LA, did you read that recent article here in Chicago about the old guy who was molested back in the 50s? He had signed a confidentiality agreement to not talk about it but then came out recently even though he was jeapordizing the agreement.
    Heard about it, but didn't read it. Good for him though.

I'm not Catholic, but when I was in the 8th grade, I quit going to church because the preacher at our church told a friend of mine to stop bringing this African American friend of ours to service [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I have faith in a higher power but NOT in organized religion.
    There was a minister not far from here who kicked a Downs Sydrome child out of the parish. Forbid him from attending services because he sang off key, clapped his hands during responses and spoke to slow during the expected responses. That's just shallow. So was the action of the minister in your church

That's what I meant when no matter what occupation or status in life, everyone is human, and subject to poor judgement.

The thing that kills me, is that when these priests are caught, all they do is send the guy to another state.
    I hear you. In the Chicago area, at least in the last ten years or so, if I understand correctly... they send them to counseling and if they are able, they return them to highly supervised positions where they don't or shouldn't have the potential to abuse again. It also appears that they are not at all unwilling to take away the duties of a priest, and call for his resignation. Still... there is then an abuser who is out there.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

see david icke...

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is really getting out of control.

what's wrong with these guys? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I've always said that a person who deprives themselves of sex is either lying or demented

I think that this kind of thing has been happening in ALL religions worldwide for a very long time. The fact that Catholic Priests can't marry and have sexual relationships, and that priests are supposed to be "perfect like Jesus" is why so much attention is being placed on them. It's sick, it's disgusting, but the world is made up of people, not just priests, that prey upon the weak (innocent). I read that some people are comparing this to the 9/11 tragedy.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

9/11 was an utter abomination and hopefully one-off , but what those so-called 'fathers' do to their 'flock' is an on-going disgrace and makes me even more anti-religion than i already am - which is quite an achievement !

they should be castrated then excommunicated , then handed over to the parents - whats left can be put in a bucket and flushed down the lavvy...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not so religious.

If the Catholic Church wants its priests to remain effective (trusted, and confided in) it has to address the issue in a meaningful way. What will kids learn from their parents being afraid to leave them in the custody of their priests?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a great point MikeL. I suspect that's why they were called to speak with the Pope. Sort of a "what're we gonna do to fix this and make things right?" session. Way overdue

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:
    I'm not so religious.
    LOL!! Bullshit!! You're the biggest Bible-thumper on this board. You and your Sandi Patti album collection.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Psst... nobody tell Mike, but I put a fish ornament on the back of his car. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    What will kids learn from their parents being afraid to leave them in the custody of their priests?
    Kids will learn to be afraid if their parents are afraid. There are a lot of great priests out there, but since the church "kept quiet" about all of this, they'll having to do something very, very meaningful. IMO, the best thing would be to make an example of them. They did a crime, they do the time in jail. Have a label put on them, so people know that they are a predator when they are released, just like every other predator gets a label. To me, this isn't about being Catholic, but about commiting criminal acts.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Does the church want the problem to go away, or do they want to fix it?

My thoughts are that they'd always dealt with this previously by trying to make it go away. If victims come forward with a very personal, and in some ways humiliating admission and nothing is really done, other victims are less likely to come forward. If nobody says there's a problem, is there really a problem? That's how I perceive the church to have been operating.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    [You're the biggest Bible-thumper on this board. You and your Sandi Patti album collection.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Hey man, I thought that was supposed to be just between you and me. See if you get your unreleased Sandi Patti boots now, bigmouth! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]