Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Internet newsgroups have been circulating news of the discovery for the past week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for using "high-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

Sony did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Major music labels, including Sony and Universal Music, have begun selling the "copy-proof" discs as a means of tackling the rampant spread of music piracy, which they claim is eating into sales.

The new technology aims to prevent consumers from copying, or "burning," music onto recordable CDs or onto their computer hard drives, which can then be shared with other users over file-sharing Internet services such as Kazaa or Morpheus MusicCity.

Anti-piracy push
    On Monday, Reuters obtained an ordinary copy of Celine Dion's newest release, "A New Day Has Come," which comes embedded with Sony's Key2Audio technology.

After an initial attempt to play the disc on a PC resulted in failure, the edge of the shiny side of the disc was blackened out with a felt-tip marker. The second attempt with the marked-up CD played and copied to the hard drive without a hitch.

Internet postings claim that tape or even a sticky note can also be used to cover the security track, typically located on the outer rim of the disc. And there are suggestions that copy-protection schemes used by other music labels can also be circumvented in a similar way.

Sony's proprietary technology, deployed on many recent releases, works by adding a track to the copy-protected disc that contains bogus data.

Because computer hard drives are programmed to read data files first, the computer will continuously try to play the bogus track first. It never gets to play the music tracks located elsewhere on the compact disc.

The effect is that the copy-protected disc will play on standard CD players but not on computer CD-ROM drives, some portable devices, and even some car stereo systems.

Some Apple Computer Macintosh users have reported that playing the disc in the computer's CD drive causes the computer to crash. The cover of the copy-protected discs contain a warning that the album will not play on Macintoshes or other personal computers.

Apple has since posted a warning on its Web site.

Sony Music Europe has taken the most aggressive anti-piracy stance in the business. Since last fall, the label has shipped more than 11 million copy-protected discs in Europe, with the largest proportion going to Germany, a market label executives claim is rife with illegal CD-burning.
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wouldn't a Celine Dion disc be better served by making it flame-retardant and crush-proof, anyway?

[ May 20, 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug ]
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't s'pose the same trick works on "Flight Simulator 2000" or other games I've had trouble making backup copies of?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Hmmm, that's definitely possible.

Oh, and I love how a 99 cent marker can defeat multi-million-dollar research and technology.

Irony can be such a bitch. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't know what i find harder to believe, people buying Celine Dion discs, or people copying Celine Dion discs...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    I don't s'pose the same trick works on "Flight Simulator 2000" or other games I've had trouble making backup copies of?
    I think they use some sort of odd-data length on those, making it look as though the data is a different size than it actually is. That's just what I recall, though.

Somebody at Sony has their head on the chopping block, to be sure. The music industry has spent a bundle on copy protection, and taken a lot of heat over it.

I wonder if long-term this'll result in a change to the way tracks are ordered on an album? Put the radio single up front, the bad data next, and the rest of the album after that?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Evil will always triumph over good, because GOOD IS DUMB!"
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."