Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/1912466.stm

Buyers of Celine Dion's new album are being warned not to play the CD on their computer as it might force it to crash.

European versions of her CD, A New Day Has Come, carry warnings that it should not be played on PCs as it is embedded with copy protection technology.

It is used to prevent songs being uploading onto the internet.

The CD, which entered the UK and US album charts at number one last weekend, is the first copy-protected release by music giant Sony.

Some fans in Germany are reportedly complaining that the disc will not eject properly and that it is harming the computer's hardware.

Natalie Imbruglia's CD was first to be copy-protected

A Sony spokeswoman told the Hollywood Reporter newspaper the CD would not corrupt computers, although it would cause it to crash and as a result of that, might not eject properly.

A New Day Has Come is Dion's first studio album in five years, after she took time off to have her first baby.

Last year record company BMG had to replace some copies of singer Natalie Imbruglia's latest release, White Lilies Island, because it did not warn customers that the CD would not play on PCs.

New technology

It sparked complaints because the CD would not work in some older stereo systems and did not function in DVD players with audio CD capabilities.

At the time BMG admitted it was "concerned" but said complaints had only been received from about one customer for every 1,000 CDs shipped to shops.

Sony, BMG and the other major record companies - Universal, Warner and EMI - are all keen to employ technologies that will limit the digital duplication of CDs.

But some consumers are alarmed, and say that record retailers are not making the distinction between normal and copy-protected CDs clear enough.

In September a California woman sued a record company and technology firm after she found out her new CD by country act Charley Pride contained a copy protection scheme that prevented it from being played in her PC.

[ April 08, 2002 at 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

PLEASE REPORT ALL CD'S WITH COPY PROTECTION SOFTWARE TO:

http://www.boycott-riaa.com

Look for the links to add to the list. Also, it is suggested that you should return the CD immediately to the store and either get a CD without the technology or a full refund. Eventually the stores will find it is not cost effective to have to return these defective CD's.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS BULLSHIT!
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

1 thru Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.15 @ 12:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Agree, they are getting too carried away with this copy protection bullshit!
    The Pumpkinhead!

"After three decades you still don't get the fact that VH the band was greater than the sum of all of its parts -- and those parts fit perfectly together, especially in the CVH lineup." - Delighted Romeo, Hit the nail right on the God Damn Head!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was reading that same article a couple of weeks ago Jonathan. Kinda makes you wonder what they're striving for.

I understand and appreciate the artist's need for protecting their copyrighted material, [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] BUT to make it so that you can't play it on computers or on DVDs is... well it's forcing everyone to have to go out to purchase new equipment in order to listen to music. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] I object to that.

Question though (and I didn't read your post really closely because I'd read it elsewhere before), so if you mentioned it, I apologize...

BUT... are these CDs clearly marked so that a purchaser knows what they're in for?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There isn't jack-shit on the new music front to worry about anyways!

".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pumpkinhead:
    I Agree, they are getting too carried away with this copy protection bullshit!
    I understand where you're coming from, but as the owner and maker of copyrighted materials... I know where they're coming from. When someone steals my copyrighted material from me, I lose money... and I'm not a recording star who can afford to lose it... so... I'm empathize with them. Copyrighted material is copyrighted material. Someone worked for it, they slaved over it, they created it, they deserve to be recognized for it.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by LA:

BUT... are these CDs clearly marked so that a purchaser knows what they're in for?
    Yes they are apparently, but people are still doing it. I guess you should always read the instructions - but personally I've bought and played enough cds to know how they work now....or at least did know. I suspect a lot of people play the cd before they read the cover/liner notes, I know I do.
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do the same. Stickers on the front or something would be better. Nothing like doing things to piss the consumer off.

Buy the damn thing, can't return it once you open it, but you can't find out that you might not be able to play it until you've opened it. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Like buying Walmart CD's. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by LA:
    [I understand where you're coming from, but as the owner and maker of copyrighted materials... I know where they're coming from.
    But they're coming from the point of view of protecting their big investments, not protecting the artists. That album is number one in the US and UK, sold around 500K already I believe.

The irony is that Sony (admittedly a different branch) makes MP3 players which they specifically advertise as being able to play MP3s converted from your cds. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jonathan:

The irony is that Sony (admittedly a different branch) makes MP3 players which they specifically advertise as being able to play MP3s converted from your cds. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Man... hypocrisy at it's best! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

There's a bigger picture here. I wonder if that means that Sony's got some huge "things" coming down the pipe from R&D that will make them tons of money... and it'll have to do with these new CDs... something that they'll have that is unique to the industry... that will of course make them a slew of cash...

frickin' frackin' spelling errors... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

[ April 08, 2002 at 10:45 AM: Message edited by: LA ]</p>

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not only do they make them but they are very new. There is some mention of copy protection in their transfers but the advertising/tech specifically mentions downloading cds from your PC to the player.

"This April, Sony will again change the face of music on the move with the New NW-MS11 Network Walkman® Digital Music Player. This new player will allow you to transfer Internet Downloads and Recordings from your CDs, and connect to a USB Port for High Speed Data Transfer. Our Removable 128MB MagicGate™ Memory Stick® Media provides 240 minutes of music enjoyment wherever, whenever. Additional features include play back in ATRAC3™, and the support of MP3 Windows Media™ Audio and WAV. Sony's Rechargeable “Gum Stick” Style NiMH Battery provides up to 10 hours listening, so get ready to take your music to go! Prepare for the arrival of NW-MS11… "
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man! They're really something! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

I'm starting to be able to sniff out that kind of crap... GRRrrrrr!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm pretty sure the law says you can make a copy for personal use, but if you ever get rid of the original, you'd have to get rid of the copy, too. so the minidisc/MP3 thing there would be OK. unless you need the computer to convert it, in that case you're screwed.

who the hell would even want a FREE copy of a Celine Dion waste of plastic?
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    i'm pretty sure the law says you can make a copy for personal use, but if you ever get rid of the original, you'd have to get rid of the copy, too. so the minidisc/MP3 thing there would be OK. unless you need the computer to convert it, in that case you're screwed.
    The technical specs for that MP3 player say it can be used to convert cds from your computer....it's like "give us money to play your MP3s as long as it's not from our artists". I know there are other ways to make MP3s but personally I don't have a USB port on my stereo [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    who the hell would even want a FREE copy of a Celine Dion waste of plastic?
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Actually twona, that should be the operative question here! LMAO! Who WOULD want that! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]