Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Congrats on the best ever olympics - be grateful you didn't have to suffer through NBCs terrible coverage. But what was with the closing ceremony? We got a bunch of (in)famous Aussies

Savage Garden
    INXS (who is Jon Stevens?)
    Midnight Oil
    Men at Work
    Jimmy Barnes (great singer)
    Kylie Minogue
    Greg Norman
    Elle Macpherson
    Paul Hogan

but where the hell were AC/DC? Angus duckwalking around that revolving platform would have been perfect

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Actually, I think AC/DC were scheduled to appear instead of the 2 Emannual brothers (guitarists), but for some reason it fell through. Ah well.

As for NBC, they have stated they will never support another olympics in the 'southern hemisphere'... Give time zones are longitudal thing, I guess that sums their coverage up nicely, havent heard a single good thing about it. It wasnt our fault NBC, there was plenty of stuff happening during US prime time.. you screwed up.. Admit it

Jon Stevens used to sing for a band here called noiseworks, Seems he has the INXS gig now. Midnight Oil's 'Sorry shirts' was a direct swipe at the Prime Ministers refusal to recognise past government 'policy' mistakes with Aborigionals.

Barnes is fantastic though, when Cold Chisel broke up, and Roth left VH, he was actually auditioned by Ed and the gang for the job, but they felt they needed someone a bit more high profile in the US... so there ya go

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited October 02, 2000 at 12:58 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Maybe what Angus does onstage should be a new Olympic event?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The live/primetime thing was a problem for NBC - though I wasn't gonna watch in the middle of the night anyway. My main problem (and Atlanta was the same) is the sycophantic, flag waving, human interest garbage. The US obviously is gonna win a lot of medals and focus on those people - but please do we really need to know that every athlete was abandoned as a child by a mother with MS, lived in a car for 5 years and broke every bone in their body a year before the games with dramatic music in the background.

And it would be nice to acknowledge that there are other countries/athletes competing....some even win gold medals....and their name isn't always Cathy Freeman

Of course the highlights of the games was my next door neighbour from 15 years ago winning a gold in sailing. I used to babysit him - I feel I should share in the credit

Jimmy Barnes was also suggested as a replacement for Ian Gillan in Deep Purple in 1990 I believe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    We had similar complaints about our coverage being too aus-centric I guess its a case of when your gotta choose between the local hero and the brave lil guy from Belarus, your gonna go with the local, not enough hours in a day to cover it all..

The Brits done really well this year though, With the recent 'England wins cricket game' shocks, and now this, we might have to be careful about who we start hanging shit on here ... but at least we can still pick on the poor kiwis.. no gold this time round, No Bledisloe cup, and nowhere in the cricket either

------------------

Adelaide,Australia, Home of the criminally insane
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts

Goo, I read in one of our aussie rock magazines that Jon Stevens also auditioned for the Van Halen gig, but picked Gary Cherone because Jon didnt want to live in the U.S. , I also heard it on the radio when they were touring Australia for the 3 tour !
    Powerful voice but I dont know If he fits the Van Halen Mold.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Hey that's cool, I hadn't heard that one!! He probably made the right choice though Not sure he woulda fit too well

------------------