Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

JAKE E. LEE: Previously Unreleased Recording Posted Online - Dec. 1, 2002

A previously unreleased solo idea by former OZZY OSBOURNE/BADLANDS guitarist Jake E. Lee has been posted online via his official fan site at this link.
    According to a message on the site, "this cool never-to-be released solo idea from the BOURGEOIS PIGS sessions [the project featuring Lee, guitarist Michael Guy (HOUSE OF LORDS), vocalist Richard Black (SHARK ISLAND), bassist Tony Franklin (THE FIRM, BLUE MURDER), and keyboardist Lindsay Vannoy (ALICE COOPER)] [came from a song that] never had an official name and [Jake] wasn't too sure if he wanted to solo over the section he was supposed to, so he looped the drums and bass, did some computer-based pitch shifting, and came up with the following."

[ December 03, 2002, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

KELLY & JACK OSBOURNE: 'THE OSBOURNES' Reality 'Fake' - Nov. 30, 2002

The first season of "The Osbournes" included sequences staged by MTV, Jack and Kelly Osbourne claimed Tuesday on "Good Morning America". They cited two specific moments that they said MTV had orchestrated — the appearance of a dog therapist, and a dramatic family meeting that ended with Jack storming out. "The most fake thing about that show was the family meeting, because that was an MTV idea," Kelly said, according to the New York Post. "I put that in my contract [for the new season] — I would not do anything like that fucking dog therapist."

But both MTV and a spokesperson for Ozzy and Sharon denied that scenes had been staged. "Nothing is ever scripted or planned on 'The Osbournes'," an MTV spokesperson told ABC. And an Osbourne family spokesperson told the Post: "Ozzy and Sharon would not have done it unless it were all real."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

TWISTED SISTER In Talks To Embark On Reunion Tour - Nov. 30, 2002

TWISTED SISTER are strongly rumored to be planning a reunion tour in 2003, including a headlining appearance at the next installment of Sweden Rock Festival.

The band, who reunited for their first performance in 14 years at last year's "New York Steel" benefit for the New York Police & Fire Widows' & Children's Benefit Fund, will reportedly announce their touring plans later today (Nov. 30) at the Hard Rock Café in Stockholm, where the first few confirmed bands for Sweden Rock Festival 2003 will be revealed.

The next installment of Sweden Rock Festival is scheduled take place Jun. 6-8, 2003 in Sölvesborg, Sweden.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

TOOL Begin Work On New Material, Prepare To Release DVD - Nov. 29, 2002

Despite having just completed the touring cycle for "Lateralus", the members of TOOL have already commenced the songwriting process for the group's next album in addition to continuing work on their upcoming DVD, due in early 2003.

The following message was posted by the group's official webmasters at www.toolband.com.

"After finishing about a year and a half of touring (with a few breaks between) to promote 'Lateralus', the band members returned home after the Long Beach show at around 2:00 AM. At about 10:00 AM their equipment was delivered to the band's rehearsal space in Hollywood. The band members themselves met there at around 3:00 that afternoon and began jamming, going over some new material they wrote while on the road (as well as prior to going on tour), even managing to work out the arrangement on at least one of the songs. At about 7:00 they stopped, as Danny had developed a blister on his hand from cutting firewood earlier in the day (NOTE: as a result of the heavy winds we've been experiencing here in L.A., a large tree up at his house had fallen during the night, and he had attacked it with a chainsaw in the morning hours). After Danny, Adam and Justin left the rehearsal space, Maynard remained for about another hour or so to fine-tune some lyrics for the new song. The band members jammed again (and worked on another arrangement) on Tuesday and Wednesday, taking Thursday off for whatever reason. With regards to a new DVD, and any other related future releases, I am not at liberty to comment at this time. These things are compartmentalized (meaning that even the band members themselves don't know ALL of the details of any given project. For instance, on one particular project, Maynard and Adam might know the plan, but not Danny and Justin — until the 'right' time, when it's necessary to clue them in. Conversely, with another project, Danny and Justin may be the only ones in the loop until the others are informed.) This is the best way to keep things from leaking out to the media (and Internet). Hey, if it works for the folks at S-4, then it's good enough for the band."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

WINGER Guitarist In Talks To Rejoin DOKKEN - Nov. 28, 2002

WINGER guitarist Reb Beach is strongly rumored to be eyeing a return to the DOKKEN lineup for the group's upcoming U.S. tour with WHITESNAKE and THE SCORPIONS. When asked about the possibility of rejoining forces with Don Dokken following the latter's stints with John Norum and Italian guitarist Alex De Rosso, Beach said, "Looks good for DOKKEN." Reb is currently writing material for the next WINGER album as well as for an upcoming solo project, which may or may not be produced by Kip Winger. "I would love for him to produce my next record," the guitarist said. "Who knows?! He is so incredible, I just want to work with him in any way I can."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Reeves Shooting Constantine Next Year
    Sunday, December 1, 2002 11:53 CST

Variety reports that Keanu Reeves will film the Hellblazer adaptation, Constantine, next year with two other films...

Keanu Reeves will fill out a love triangle with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton in an untitled comedy that marks one of three films he will shoot next year.

Reeves will also star in "Thumbsucker," an indie adaptation of the Walter Kirn novel, and then move on to the previously announced "Constantine," the adaptation of the DC-Vertigo comic "Hellblazer" at Warner Bros.

His back-to-back sequels, "The Matrix: Reloaded" and "The Matrix: Revolutions," finished shooting in August, and will be released next May and November, respectively.

Looks like things are moving along on the Warner Bros. comic book project.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

U.S. Box-Office Top Earners
    (Rank, Title, 3-Day Wknd, Total)
    1. HP & Chamber of Secrets - $32.2M, $200.2M
    2. Die Another Day - $31.0M, $101.6M
    3. The Santa Clause 2 - $10.3M, $113.9M
    4. Treasure Planet - $11.9M, $16.5M
    5. 8 Crazy Nights - $10.1M, $15.1M
    6. Friday After Next - $7.8M, $25.6M
    7. Solaris - $6.8M, $9.5M
    8. 8 Mile - $5.9M, $107.6M
    9. They - $5.7M, $8.0M
    10. The Ring - $5.5M, $120.0M

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

VOIVOD's JASON NEWSTED: New Album Sounds Like Mixture Of METALLICA And VOIVOD - Dec. 2, 2002

The forthcoming VOIVOD CD, "The Multiverse", sounds "exactly like METALLICA meets VOIVOD," according to former METALLICA and current VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted, who has just finished mixing the album for a tentative Mar. 4, 2003 release. "I have retained the distortion, the constant bass distortion — a little tighter — but it's still there for VOIVOD the way it always was as far as VOIVOD goes," Newsted told Canada's Chart Attack. "But, added to it, is the girth of the METALLICA bass, the 'Black Album' bass sound, those kinds of things that sound huge, huge, huge, an enveloping low end. So both things exist, something that was never there before for a VOIVOD album. Everything else is still intact. Drumming is still fucking crazy, double bass drums every song, Snake is back a full 110 per cent and Piggy's fucked up tunings, Piggy chords exclusive to Piggy… all of that is still absolutely alive."

With regards to the upcoming album's lyrical content, Newsted explained, "It's [Snake's] own thing because of the translation from French. The direct translation cuts through all the shit. The thing is that no person that speaks English as their first language would write it that way because of the way we've been programmed. And when we hear it back so plainly, it's kind of like Yoda-speak, but way more intelligent. Because he doesn't use the little in between words that you would know from knowing the English language first — ands and ares and all these things — he goes boom, boom, boom. All the words next to each other, they can create sentences and/or phrases that mean five different things. On one of his best vocal performances, he says 'It's so good to see you again.' And I know what he means and we all know what he means. He's actually singing about the power of the music and what it does to people. But when he says that line, he's saying it to Michel, he's saying it to me, he's saying it to the crowd, he's saying it to the music, he's saying it to the microphone, he's saying it to his mind, he's saying it to the paper and pencil. I mean it's fuckin'... it's like that."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

As posted by their website, IRON MAIDEN are preparing for a 2003 assault on the world's stage by announcing a few advance dates in what will be a spectacular tour next year. The global success of their last Brave New World tour saw them play to over 1.5 million fans across the globe finishing with a sold out show in Rio in front of 250,000 fans and leading the way to put Heavy Metal back on the map. Famed for their huge stage shows the tour next year will be as big and spectacular as ever. As frontman Bruce Dickinson said "We go out and do unfashionable things like having huge stage sets, explosions, fleets of trucks, hordes of crew and burn huge amounts of fossil fuel for a living." No doubt the next Maiden album and tour will be as in your face and politically incorrect as possible then. The dates announced are: Wednesday, June 25th France, Paris, Omnisport De Bercy (tickets now on sale) - to buy tickets and information for the Bercy, Paris show go to fnac.com or elyseemontmartre.com, Friday, June 27th Denmark, Roskilde Festival (tickets on sale December 3rd), Saturday, June 28th Sweden, Stockholm Stadium (tickets on sale December 3rd) Monday, June 30th Finland, Helsinki Hartwall Areena (tickets on sale December 3rd) Wednesday, July 2nd Norway, Oslo Spektrum (tickets on sale November 30th) - to buy tickets and information for all Scandinavian shows www.ticnet.se or www.ema.se Bercy was the venue chosen by the band to make their triumphant return to Europe in 1999 while their appearance at Stockholm's 35,000 seater Stadium on the last Brave New World Tour was one of the biggest shows in Stockholm that year. Maiden will also be headlining the Roskilde Festival as they did in 2000 to 85,000 fans. Tickets for Scandinavia go on sale 3rd December. Tickets for Paris have just been released. Supporting acts will be announced at a later date. With so many successful bands around who are now big Maiden fans, the line up announcement is expected to be very interesting. Having taken some well deserved time off the road the band have returned from their sabbatical (during which Steve Harris spent seven months editing the DVD Rock In Rio) and returned to London to commence writing for their next album due out sometime in 2003. This will be the bands 13th Studio album and once again they will be enlisting the production talents of Kevin Shirley who also produced their Brave New World album and more recently the live Rock In Rio album. The studio recording of the new album should start in the New Year.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN (TOOL, A PERFECT CIRCLE) will be in the studio in late 2002/early 2003 to record vocals for the next APC album. A late Summer/early Fall 2003 release is expected.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

METALLICA's LARS ULRICH To Sell More Paintings - Dec. 2, 2002

Several paintings from the private collection of METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich will be auctioned off by Christie's in Amsterdam on Tuesday, Dec. 3.

Ulrich, who pocketed nearly $20 million from previous Christie's auctions in London and New York, will be offering "a fine group of works by Karel Appel, Asger Jorn, Egill Jacobsen and Mogens Balle," according to the auction house's official web site.

Back in May, one of the paintings from Ulrich's collection, Jean-Michel Basquiat's aptly named "Profit I", sold for $5,509,500, easily eclipsing the old mark for a work by the late artist of $3,302,500 set in November 1998 by "Self-portrait", as well as its high pre-sale estimate of $5 million.

"It was the last great Basquiat that he had," Ulrich said of the Swiss dealer Bruno Bischofberger that sold him the painting, "and he had not intended to part with it. It took years to convince him to sell. Even if I had not ended up buying 'Profit I', the time spent pursuing it would still have been worthwhile. Collecting is not about the trophy on the wall, it is about the journey."

Altogether three quarters of the collection assembled by Ulrich over the past decade, will have been sold before the year is over.

Lars, now married with two young children, claims he is selling because he plans to build a huge new home on a 200-acre mountaintop site that he has bought near San Francisco. All the energy that the 38-year-old rock star previously poured into his art collection is now being redirected into studying architecture.

"Right now I am at a crossroads where I want to shed some of the things that I have amassed in my present home, mostly before I was married," Ulrich told Britain's Telegraph.co.uk. "I want to start over again."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Rock's Greats Celebrate Life Of George Harrison At London Tribute Concert
    12/02/2002

(12/02/02, 6 p.m. ET) - A concert tribute to the late George Harrison was held at London's Royal Albert Hall on Friday (November 29), the first anniversary of the former Beatle's death, to celebrate his life and music.

The once-in-a-lifetime concert, titled The Concert For George, featured performances by Harrison's former bandmates Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr; his fellow Traveling Wilburys bandmates Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty; longtime friend/collaborator Eric Clapton; piano-playing Beatles sideman Billy Preston; ex-Squeeze keyboardist Jools Holland (whose 2002 album, Big Band Rhythm & Blues, contained one of Harrison's final recordings, "Horse To Water"); Klaus Voormann (the German artist who designed the Revolver cover art and played bass on several Harrison and Plastic Ono Band albums); and Harrison's 24-year-old son, Dhani. The cast of Monty Python--whose cult movie The Life Of Brian was produced by Harrison's Handmade Films production company--was also on hand to perform its famous "Lumberjack" skit.

The three-hour extravaganza, which took place beneath a giant portrait of Harrison and was attended by such British rock luminaries as Elvis Costello and Bob Geldof, began with an introduction by Clapton, who helped organize the event with Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison. Clapton explained that "a lot of grieving has been dealt with" by playing Harrison's music over the past three weeks of rehearsals, and he declared he was "looking forward to an evening of beautiful music and warm feelings."

The first section of the show comprised a 45-minute performance by a 40-member orchestra of both Indian and Western musicians. The orchestra performed a piece composed especially for the occasion by Harrison's friend and mentor, sitar legend Ravi Shankar. Shankar told the audience that the evening was a "blessed occasion because I can share this with you," adding, "I strongly feel that George is here tonight--how could he not be?"

He then took a seat onstage next to Olivia Harrison to watch his daughter Anoushka, herself an accomplished sitar player, conduct the orchestra. Clapton later joined the orchestra on guitar, and Jeff Lynne also came out to perform one of Harrison's most Indian-influenced Beatles songs, "The Inner Light." At the end of this first half of the concert, Olivia presented Anoushka with a bouquet of roses while the crowd gave a standing ovation. After a short intermission, the Monty Python cast entertained the delighted audience with a short musical performance--wearing nothing from the waist down but backless aprons.

Then the real show began, with the assembled all-star band performing a long and wonderful set of Harrison hits, including "If I Needed Someone," "Old Brown Shoe," "I Want To Tell You," "Here Comes The Sun," and "Isn't It A Pity." The first big highlight (and second standing ovation) of the evening came when Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers took the stage, performing "Taxman," "I Need You," and a hugely crowd-pleasing rendition of the Traveling Wilburys hit "Handle With Care" alongside Jeff Lynne.

The audience became even more excited when Ringo Starr appeared, sweetly announcing, "I loved George, George loved me" before warbling a song he co-wrote with Harrison, "Photograph" (sadly, Starr noted that lyrics like "All I got is a photograph and I realize you're not coming back anymore" have taken on a different meaning). He also sang the Carl Perkins tune "Honey Don't," explaining that it was one of Harrison's favorite songs.

Starr then introduced "another friend of George's," and out walked Paul McCartney to thunderous applause. Starr sat behind the drum kit while McCartney performed "For You Blue"; a rendition of Harrison's biggest Beatles hit, "Something," on a ukulele (a favorite instrument of Harrison's); and the title track from Harrison's landmark All Things Must Pass album. Each song was met with another standing ovation, as were Clapton's performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and Billy Preston's soulful take on "My Sweet Lord."

As all the participating musicians crowded onto the stage for the rousing finale performance of "Wah-Wah" and "See You In My Dreams," Dhani Harrison--the spitting image of his dad--said to the supergroup, "From the bottom of my heart, thank you to all the musicians...You're my dad's dearest friends and I love you all." McCartney hugged Dhani and jokingly added, "Olivia said that with Dhani onstage, it looks like George stayed young and we all got old!"

The Concert For George raised funds for Harrison's Material World Charitable Foundation, which the late Beatle established in 1973. Harrison's posthumous final album, Brainwashed, which was co-produced by Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison, was released by Capitol Records on November 19.

--Lyndsey Parker, Los Angeles

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Former RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE Frontman To Return With 'Hardcore' Solo Album - Dec. 2, 2002

Former RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE frontman Zack De La Rocha will return next year with a "hardcore" solo album, according to collaborator DJ Shadow.

De La Rocha has been working on his first solo release for two years with a variety of producers, including NINE INCH NAILS mainman Trent Reznor, Dan "The Automator" Nakamura (GORILLAZ, HANDSOME BOY MODELLING SCHOOL), UK drum 'n' bass star Roni Size, CYPRESS HILL's DJ Muggs and Californian turntablist DJ Shadow. Shadow has revealed that he will resume work on the album with De La Rocha early next year.

"I started doing demos for him a few years ago and we've settled on a few,” the DJ revealed to Australia's Undercover. "As far as sound goes, it is hardcore. It is pretty hard. I like hard edged music and he just brings that kind of intensity to any song we do."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

/P Ink Deal With SPITFIRE RECORDS - Dec. 2, 2002

L/P, the new group featuring former DOKKEN members George Lynch (guitar) and Jeff Pilson (bass/vocals), are about to sign a domestic deal with Spitfire Records and "we're over-the-top excited about it," Pilson wrote on his official web site. "A final release date has yet to be named, but my guess is March or April, shouldn't be any later than that. The label has been so supportive of the music and direction, and that was pretty much what made us go with them. I'm going to be working hard with them to try and incorporate as much of the Internet fan base as we can, so all of you can be active participants in the record campaign if you choose. We'd like to organize street teams, etc. in the hopes that more people will hear this than the usual release. It's funny how a lot of new heavy bands are starting to acknowledge us [DOKKEN, George, etc.] as influences, so maybe a new audience will appreciate what we do. I would be very happy if the record is made aware to anyone who will listen and they have an opportunity to judge it on its own merits. This could be an exciting year for us, and I'm hoping that everyone here can be an integral part of it. For those of you wanting to join in, get ready to start writing a lot of e-mails!"

In the same update on his web site, Pilson also once again addressed his decision to file a lawsuit against two of his ex-bandmates, singer/guitarist Don Dokken and drummer Mick Brown, to dissolve their musical and financial partnership.

"[The lawsuit] was never really intended to be a public issue, but apparently the rock press has a system for discovering any lawsuits filed which involve people in their data base," he said. "This suit is strictly a business matter, which I've been left no choice but to pursue. However this in no way affects what DOKKEN was, or what any of us have ever contributed to it. Someone on the message board posted something about how maybe we all should never have met, and it made him or her sick! I gotta say, I can relate to that! If I were to read about this kind of thing, I'd probably say, 'how pathetic!' And you know what, it IS pathetic, and unfortunate. But I will never say that I wish we were never to have become a band. Even amongst the dreadful string of memories, I still remain extremely proud of the work we did and the music we made. It is time to move on, however, and I think everyone involved owes the franchise DOKKEN a great deal of respect, and we'll all have to trust that the outcome will be positive for all parties. I'm sure it will, and I'd like nothing more than for everyone to get a clean start and their fair share of opportunities. I trust it will all be good in the end."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Hans Rodionoff Rewriting Spawn 2
    Tuesday, December 3, 2002 7:23 CST

Comics2Film talked to Spawn 2 producer Don Murphy who revealed that scribe Hans Rodionoff is rewriting the script from Steve Niles and Todd McFarlane. Rodionoff also has written feature scripts for Marvel's Man-Thing and Werewolf By Night, and is attached to do Matt Wagner's Grendel.

Rodionoff tells the site that one of his goals is to bring Spawn back into the story. "One of the challenges of doing a movie where the protagonist is a demon is that it's kind of hard to feel for that character. One of the things Niles and Todd did with the last draft was have it be more of a Sam and Twitch story," Rodionoff said. "The problem is it became solely a Sam and Twitch movie and there wasn't enough Spawn."