Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been a maintenance worker at a small community college since literally I graduated from high school in 1986. I have literally worked my ass off for the college. I am the one you always see busy. Anyhow, I get this letter today saying that March 31st is my last day of employment and to turn in my keys by that date. I swear to you, you always hear the old saying that there always two sides to a story, well, my motto has always been do whatever needs done and when you get done, go help someone else. We have a ton of lazy people on our crew.
    Anyhow, the reason for this is that the college is in dire financial straits. I think they threw darts at a board and whoever's name it landed on, they won..or lost...
    Unfuckingbelieveable.17 years wasted.
    [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Executionor:
    I have been a maintenance worker at a small community college since literally I graduated from high school in 1986. I have literally worked my ass off for the college. I am the one you always see busy. Anyhow, I get this letter today saying that March 31st is my last day of employment and to turn in my keys by that date. I swear to you, you always hear the old saying that there always two sides to a story, well, my motto has always been do whatever needs done and when you get done, go help someone else. We have a ton of lazy people on our crew.
    Anyhow, the reason for this is that the college is in dire financial straits. I think they threw darts at a board and whoever's name it landed on, they won..or lost...
    Another way I would look at this is 17 years at a fulfilling job if you were happy there. That's a long time and you probably gained tons of valuable experience from it. I would be pretty bummed if I lost my job though so I can understand your frustation. I bet you bounce right back into it dude, can't go wrong with a person that busts his ass all day long [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any year spent working for someone else is a wasted one. I wasted 7 years and got to the point that I just couldn't eat it anymore. Keep your head up man, the world will turn.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did anyone speak to you personally? Did you just get a letter? That is so wrong, especially after being dedicated for 17 years. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm sure with the experience you've gained and the track record you have, you'll have your choice of jobs. Good Luck!
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had gone in to talk to our new lady Dean about some serious concerns about how our department is run and how unbelieveably inefficient things are. We had this meeting set up for a couple weeks ahead of time so there weren't any surprises. The extent of what she said was that before we get started, I need to give you this letter. Apparently there were 6 "classified staff" that got the letters, for no particular ryme or reason. The college is really hurting for money and they just had to make cuts. There is one other maintenance worker and myself and I swear this other guy knows very little. They are going to find out the hard way that he cannot do a lot of things, but it will be too late for myself.
    Getting shit on like this just might make someone go postal. (I will not of course), but think about it, someone just shits all over your plans for no real reason...
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Sorry to hear it, but I bet greener pastures are ahead. That's usually how these things work. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World Loss of Bowel Control's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Executionor, good maintenance people are very hard to find. You should be able to get a job fairly soon, try posting your resume on Monster. You will need some good recommendations from people you work with and for, so don’t go pissin’ those folks off just yet; or if you think you have, try to make amends. Or, if you know enough about plumbing and different HVAC units, you could get licensed and bonded and open up your own emergency maintenance company. Anyways, good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

monster.com kicks ass...it got me my job
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I have written a nice letter. In reality, this will not see the light of day, buit it is how I truly feel. Go ahead, rip it apart! I am just venting some frustration so don't be too critical [img]smile.gif[/img]

To my long time peers and colleagues,

As most of you have probably heard, I received my “dismissal letter” on February 26th of this year, 2003, and to say the least, I was profoundly stunned to learn that I was being laid off. I have worked here at Labette Community College since 1986 and had every intention of making a life long career here and eventually retiring at LCC. When I asked for an explanation for such a decision, I was told that I had done nothing wrong and that the decision was not made with job performance as a consideration.

In the years since I was first employed by Labette, I have gone to school and worked my education around my job duties here @ LCC so I would understand all aspects of my job. I am a two-time alumnus of LCC meaning that I have received two completely separate A.A.S. degrees pertaining to different aspects of my position. I am so extremely disappointed that the education I received from Labette carried absolutely no weight in myself holding onto my job here. Not only did I educate myself to obtain “That piece of paper”, I am quite knowledgeable in all aspects of this physical campus. Normally, individuals have either a degree and no experience at a job, or have experience and no “education” to show that you are competent in your job. After I complete my Bachelor’s degree in the fall from Friends University, I would have had more qualifications than anyone on our entire physical plant staff and I believe that must have been intimidating to a certain individual, therefore, I believe that is why I was recommended for dismissal.

It is a real shame that politics have weaved their way into the very fabric of the “Labette Community College Family”. Since I have been here, we have lost so many traditions because of what I call “wet blanket” personalities. There is so much friction between departments because of what the President has called “Shadow Culture”. As a group, Classified Staff were (rightfully so) called to the mat and told to get rid of this Gossiping group, and for the most part, we did, however, there are still elements of this in other groups and there has been nothing done about it. I believe these divisions will be the downfall of LCC if someone does not stand up and put a halt to them.

Having said all that, all I have left to say is I wish you all a fond farewell and good luck in the future. I have always recruited heavily for LCC because it was part of me, but it looks like Neosho County will get my future efforts after the completely unloyal way I was “dismissed”.

Goodbye and Good Luck!

Buddy Stark

--Will Rogers

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

What a raw deal. Hard to believe in this day and age when good, experienced, knowledgeable help is indeed hard to find, they can do something like this. Good luck, man, I'm sure there's some company out there that would appreciate your efforts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Buddy, I feel for ya. I've been at the wrong end of bullshit office/work politics before and know that it can happen ANYWHERE, even at the "safest" jobs. As hard as it may be, try to put this behind you and don't let it get to you, dude.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I have written a nice letter. In reality, this will not see the light of day, buit it is how I truly feel. Go ahead, rip it apart! I am just venting some frustration so don't be too critical [img]smile.gif[/img]

To my long time peers and colleagues,

As most of you have probably heard, I received my “dismissal letter” on February 26th of this year, 2003, and to say the least, I was profoundly stunned to learn that I was being laid off. I have worked here at Labette Community College since 1986 and had every intention of making a life long career here and eventually retiring at LCC. When I asked for an explanation for such a decision, I was told that I had done nothing wrong and that the decision was not made with job performance as a consideration.

In the years since I was first employed by Labette, I have gone to school and worked my education around my job duties here @ LCC so I would understand all aspects of my job. I am a two-time alumnus of LCC meaning that I have received two completely separate A.A.S. degrees pertaining to different aspects of my position. I am so extremely disappointed that the education I received from Labette carried absolutely no weight in myself holding onto my job here. Not only did I educate myself to obtain “That piece of paper”, I am quite knowledgeable in all aspects of this physical campus. Normally, individuals have either a degree and no experience at a job, or have experience and no “education” to show that you are competent in your job. After I complete my Bachelor’s degree in the fall from Friends University, I would have had more qualifications than anyone on our entire physical plant staff and I believe that must have been intimidating to a certain individual, therefore, I believe that is why I was recommended for dismissal.

It is a real shame that politics have weaved their way into the very fabric of the “Labette Community College Family”. Since I have been here, we have lost so many traditions because of what I call “wet blanket” personalities. There is so much friction between departments because of what the President has called “Shadow Culture”. As a group, Classified Staff were (rightfully so) called to the mat and told to get rid of this Gossiping group, and for the most part, we did, however, there are still elements of this in other groups and there has been nothing done about it. I believe these divisions will be the downfall of LCC if someone does not stand up and put a halt to them.

Having said all that, all I have left to say is I wish you all a fond farewell and good luck in the future. I have always recruited heavily for LCC because it was part of me, but it looks like Neosho County will get my future efforts after the completely unloyal way I was “dismissed”.

Goodbye and Good Luck!

Buddy Stark
    Do not submit this letter...you have nothing to gain from it.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by swage:
    Do not submit this letter...you have nothing to gain from it. [/b]
    I tend to agree - not that it's badly written or anything, it's just the wrong time to do it. At the very least chew it over for a couple of days, let the steam clear outta your head a bit, then consider your options.

tough break man, but I'm sure you'll roll outta it ok.

[ February 26, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

guys, he said he wasn't going to send it, but just vent to himself. executioner - that's a raw deal. it sounds like you did every thing right, and still got the short end of the stick. i'm sorry every thing went south, but you sound like you've got enough going for you to make a new start somewhere. best luck and wishes to you.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    LOL.. I missed that, was too busy readin the letter. Rock on man, if it makes you feel better, vent away!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......