VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

01.30.07 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/2568981.stm

The Two Towers were created by Tolkien 50 years ago

Fans of The Lord of The Rings in the UK have rejected claims that The Two Towers film title is offensive to victims of the World Trade Center attacks.
    A US-based protest group has collected more than 3,000 signatures on an internet petition urging director Peter Jackson to rename the film.

It says the title bears too close a resemblance to the twin towers which were destroyed in the terrorist attacks in New York.

However on Thursday, Rings fans rejected the criticism and pointed out that author JRR Tolkien came up with the name about 50 years ago.

It's the title of the book and it would be unreasonable to expect people to change it

Sally Kennett, Tolkien Society
    Sally Kennett, secretary of the Tolkien Society, said the protestors' concerns were "misplaced".

She told BBC News Online: "I completely understand people's distress and concern about the terrible events of 11 September.

"But the title has been around since the book was published in the 1950s and people have got the wrong end of the stick if they think it's got anything to do with current events."

Mrs Kennett added: "With all respect to what people are feeling, I think their concern is misplaced.

"It's the title of the book and it would be unreasonable to expect people to change it.

"The World Trade Center was always the twin towers, not two towers."

In this post-11 September world, it is unforgivable that this should be allowed to happen

Two Towers Protest Organisation
    On its website, the Two Towers Protest Organisation describes the film title as "offensive and morally repugnant".

"The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center," says the website.

It adds: "The name of this movie will undoubtedly cause a return of the emotions felt on 11 September which left so many people in the nation feeling stunned and in a state of shock."

Protestors blame director Peter Jackson for the name of the film

The towers of Tolkien's title belong to two wizards from his fictional creation of Middle-Earth.

They were based on old buildings including an 18th Century folly in Birmingham near to where the author grew up.

A spokeswoman for New Line Cinema, which made the film, said it had no comment on the protest.

The film's director Peter Jackson has been reported as saying he had considered renaming the film, "but the book is 50 years old and I don't think I could change the title even if I wanted to".

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought this would happen. And I don't think it should be renamed.

And I'm seeing this in a matter of hours! yeah!!
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All do respect to the events of September 11, and of course, the victims.

But this is a stretch. Things like this make me think that people are overly sensitive.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    How stupid. I'm sure people who come up with this kinda crap are just looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Next thing they'll wanna ban the number 11 because it contains two straight things.

[ December 17, 2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yet another example of stupid people in the world. you could probably even get 3000 people to discuss a non-existant band...

uh-oh.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You'd think, after working in human resources for 10 years, that nothing would surprise me. But the immensity of the stupidity of these people...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Pathetic display of attention... Sort of like PETA [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Some people have way too much time on there hands. It truly is amazing how incredibly stupid some people are. The book has been around longer than some of these mencas have been on the planet. Get a clue people and do something worthwhile with your time.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Just as a sidenote the 3000 idiots that signed the petition are every bit as stupid. Congratulations to their ignorance.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by Goo:
    How stupid. I'm sure people who come up with this kinda crap are just looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Next thing they'll wanna ban the number 11 because it contains two straight things.
    No.. the emergency number 911 will have to be changed to 872 or something because 911 is the date, and the 11 there represents the twin towers.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, if ya change the emergency number to 872, people are just gonna argue that the new number will prompt another attack on August 72nd.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This kind of thing does more damage than good. I was as mortified as anybody on 9/11/2002 but give me a fucking break. The movie has nothing to do with the WTC and to bitch about this is dishonest. It sounds like at some point they will ask for$$$ to shut up. Considering you hear almost nothing from the OKC bombing families, mainly because they are ignored, makes you question their sincerity.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ooh, does stuff like this ever piss me off!!! I can't stand dumbasses like these people who are so oversensitive and politically correct that they're afraid to breath! Why do they live?! Obviously, these morons have never read the books. Probably hadn't even heard of LOTR til the movies.

The worst thing is how frequently stupid shit like this happens these days... I remember when The Fellowship came to theaters, some retard group of fans sued Peter Jackson for "Desecration of J.R.R. Tolkien". So fucking stupid...
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

For Christ's sake, how was Tolkien supposed to know that on September 11 two towers would be attacked?

People who circulate this shit just don't get it. Tolkien didn't have ESP.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Crmlcrm216:
    "The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center," says the website.
    Now, honestly, if someone said this to me in person I'd have to slap them upside the head for being a total idiot. The book was written 50+ years before that happened. How the fuck could it refer to an even that hadn't even happened? Did the WTC even exist in the 50s?
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."