Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, the electoral college system needs to go away, AFTER this election. Both sides knew the rules before game-time, so let's not change them at half-time, huh?
    If a fair recount shows Gore gets the electoral votes (which I doubt), I can live with that.

What I can't live with, however, is this pathetic attempt that some group, maybe even a certain political party, is pulling down in Palm Beach County, FL. What a load of crap. Claiming elderly people could not clearly read the ballot shows nothing more than a failure to pay attention to detail and a complete lack of personal responsibility to request help if needed. I don't know about where you voted, but at my polling place, volunteers come out of the woodwork in an attempt to help if you need it. This is pretty lame. Like I said, I can accept the results of this election, whatever they are, as long as it's done fairly and cleanly. This "I couldn't understand the ballot" crap is just that.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The whole thing stinks anyway with the polling and everything. Like I was following along last night and I saw Gore projected as the winner down here and I looked at the results and they had 25% reporting and Bush was leading like 51% to 47%, so I'm like, "what the f**k?" And they had Hillary projected in New York with 0% reporting - how can they do that? They need to keep their yaps shut until the polls are closed so that people don't get influenced by these polls. I'm not sure who it hurts more - the person leading the votes or the person losing, but it's too important a thing to be speculating on. One of these days I'd like to see a nationwide f**k with the media and just have everybody tell the pollers the opposite of what they voted and watch that map go nuts. I was so relieved later on when I pulled the map back up and Florida was gray again.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hell yeah, billy. Gore may have won California, but they gave it to him the moment it closed before a single vote was tallied, just because it historically goes to the Democratic candidate.

I think in the instance of the people bellyaching that they voted for the wrong person, the solution is simple - next time read everything before you vote. I know for sure every instance I made damn well certain I was punching the right hole in the card.

Hmm, what was the yogi's statement again... "Victory has many fathers, but defeat is an orphan."

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This whole thing is really gonna test the system. A few things come to mind for me:

1. They need to curtail reporting of results when the results they report are nothing but educated guesses. Saying Gore had Florida so early last night was irresponsible, and the excuses most of the news networks give is pretty lame. "Other networks started doing it." What a crock! How can they report such a thing when the poles in the panhandle weren't even closed?

2. States with more than 1 time zone should have the poles close at the same time, because of number 1.

3. Whoever loses Florida should do it with grace, and not allow their party to contest what has already happened. The race is over, and things should be decided cleanly. How else can whoever wins concentrate on doing their job?

4. It's time for some reform in the voting process. Those ballots that are being contested in Florida do look a whole lot more condensed than the one I voted on.

Some real good can come of this, perhaps. The "my vote doesn't count" mentality has been discounted. Maybe we'll see more participation next time?

Maybe the electoral college system will go away, but I doubt it. That would require an amendment, and I'm not sure that will happen. The reasons for an amendment not having a chance should be obvious.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have to tell you why I think Bush will win. Being that Florida is the state that stands in his way between him and the presidency, the fact that his brother Jeb Bush is the Governor there will swing the vote for George W.

Florida is an embarrassment. If you can't leave the beach or you are too old to understand who is even running, don't even bother voting. Over 90 million registered voters have to wait now for these yo-yo's to catch up with society. They certainly live up to their name..."The Sunshine state." GET THE HELL OUT OF THE SUN! SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT! THE REST OF THE COUNTRY IS WAITING FOR YOU!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's all over but the shouting.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Hell yeah, billy. Gore may have won California, but they gave it to him the moment it closed before a single vote was tallied, just because it historically goes to the Democratic candidate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. The process for 'calling' winners is stastistically and mathematically very sound, and very rarely wrong.

As far as I understand it, what happened in this case wasn't the fault of the methodology but of faulty/misread data. I do agree that it was a major blunder and of course could have affected the election.

Given that the US stretches across several timezones, the least that should be done IMO is no 'calling' winners until all polls have closed.

But the reality is that everyone and their mother wants to know the results as quickly as possible. I bet everyone was watching the election and cheering when their guy 'won' a state before the votes were counted. It's unavoidable with technology as it is - How responsible was it for the (republican) governor of Pennsylvania to say that Bush had won that state?

Do the democrats historically always win California? Reagan won it in 80 and 84 for sure, no idea about Bush in 88.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Who knows how long this will be dragged out. As it currently stands, Gore is the clear leader in both popular and electoral votes. If any ONE of the situations in the following article is proven to be true, let alone all of them, they should completely throw out the Florida vote, and declare Gore the winner, based on the majority from the other 49 states.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/polit...1108.html.html

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:
    Who knows how long this will be dragged out. As it currently stands, Gore is the clear leader in both popular and electoral votes. If any ONE of the situations in the following article is proven to be true, let alone all of them, they should completely throw out the Florida vote, and declare Gore the winner, based on the majority from the other 49 states.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/ELECTION_WatchdogPart5001108.html.ht ml

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about some of the supposed "irregularities" in New York and the other states? Let's go ahead and throw them out too, right?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do agree that the Electoral College is out of date. we haven't needed a buffer between the people and the government since the primaries came along and acted as a filter.

As far as Palm Beach, I agree with BigBadBrian, voting is easy, that's why they let everybody do it. If ya screw up you should have your right to vote takin away (I was kinda jokin on that one.)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georgie:
    Florida is an embarrassment. If you can't leave the beach or you are too old to understand who is even running, don't even bother voting. Over 90 million registered voters have to wait now for these yo-yo's to catch up with society. They certainly live up to their name..."The Sunshine state." GET THE HELL OUT OF THE SUN! SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT! THE REST OF THE COUNTRY IS WAITING FOR YOU!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And here class, is an example of why people outside of New York don't care very much for New York - an attitude of "we're better than you are na na na na na na". So we're slow, we're not in any hurry, we like to take our time, do it right - it's our law - close call, let's double check and make sure it's right. Unlike our friends in a certain northern state that would actually elect someone to represent them that's been a resident of the state for like 10 minutes. What, Grandpa Al wasn't running this year?

------------------
    Do you expect me to talk?
    No Mr. Bond, I expect you to...

Eat Us And Smile!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i agree with GEORGIE. old people suck, i had some ho cut me off the other day. she had her blinker on like she was turning left then after a few streets she decided to go right( a big hurry to get nowhere).
    there was a lady at the polling booth who couldn't put the ballot in right(there is only two ways it can go in). we wouldn't
    have a problem with social security if these people would know when to call it a life!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First of all, FORD, can't throw Florida out and go on what they have left. They would have to mathematically lower the requirement from 270 to some other new number which may just end up electing two presidents or it may end up electing NO presidents. Florida decides it whether we like it or not.

Second, I honestly don't think we should get rid of the electoral collage. For starters, it makes the smaller states worth something, as otherwise all you'd really need to win is capture the main population centers in the states, and not even the state itself.

What we need to do nationally is what several states have done. Award EC votes based on two things:

1) Whoever wins the popular vote within a congressional district wins the electoral vote for that district.

2) Whoever carries the statewide vote wins the 2 senate votes as "bonus points" for winning the state.

In this system, Al Gore winning California does not guarantee him the 54 (?) votes that the state has, unless he carries EVERY congressional district.

And a note about California - California DOES historically vote democractic. The only reason Reagan won those states (other than the fact he proved to be a hell of a president) was that it was his home state.

Hell, the Reagan/Mondale election wasn't even close!

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Well, I live a couple of miles down the street from Daunte Culpepper's alma mater, and let me tell you - the college students don't drive any better than the old folks. They do the same stupid things, only at a higher rate of speed.

But I don't think it's the old people that are holding things up. Again, I'd just as soon they declare Bush the winner so Slick Willie and Algor can start packing their things and moving on, but the law says if it's this close we gotta recount. And as for the people in Palm Beach county that were allegedly confused by the ballots - pay better attention next time - probably the most affluent county in the state - bring your doggone butler to read it for you if you can't be bothered!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:

And a note about California - California DOES historically vote democractic. The only reason Reagan won those states (other than the fact he proved to be a hell of a president) was that it was his home state.

Hell, the Reagan/Mondale election wasn't even close!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Republicans won California every election from 1968-1988 (inclusive) from what I could find.