Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is in no way related to music, or Van Halen. But I think it may be a topic that many on this board have experienced in their life, or maybe even right now. Actually is kind of depressing.

As everyone knows here the economy in Canada and the US has suffered terrible blows in the last year, namely in manufacturing and the tech industry. I myself was a casuality last March. I was fortunate to get called back to my job last summer, but the axe was dropped again. Fortunately I was able to move on and pursue other opportunities.

But, tonight I began getting bombarded with emails and phone calles from former co-workers informing me that a big meeting has been called for 9am tomorrow morning which will announce the fate of an electronics manufacturing facility employing now aprox 845 people, staff and production included. Is hard to believe in January 2001 that number was around 1600.

So tonight my thoughts are only with the friends and former co-workers I had/have and my prayers are for them and their families. I just really feel bad for all who are affected by such events, nobody deserves to lose their job in this way. This is about simple economics, is just too expensive too manufacture here as compared to Mexico, or China where it is even cheaper.

Sorry to depress everyone, just felt I had to say something as we all discuss and argue the shortcomings of DLR or Sammy... life is still going on in the world ya know?
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Shit dude, I hear ya, but ya know? Everybody picks their job by weighing risk and reward. This is just the flip side of your coin, but I feel I can easily say I can see it both ways.

In the last two years, I've been laid off twice. Once, the company just fucking disappeared!! Literally!! I was at a client site installing some software and called in for support, to find out there no longer was any! CEO came out and just said "our doors are closed. If there is anything thats yours and you want to take it, do it within the next two hours or it will be property of the trustee" lol. That was a .com. The second was a little more stable but still in tech. We made software for canning reports for Oracle, Peoplesoft, SAP etc. You would think pretty steady right? I mean hell, no matter how bad the economy, people still need their data. Am I wrong?.....Yes I am. 75 percent layoff this time last year. I knew what I was getting into though. I just said fuck it and took the chance. I got bit a little bit, but I'm sure glad I did it just so I never have to ask myself "what if I...?".

Never something to really "scoff" or "shrug" when there are families involved, I know. But folks need to know their industry and the inherent risks involved when they get into them. Believe me, my wife and I talked about it a looooong time before I took these positions and we knew the risk, but thought we would go for the home run. Didnt work out, but what the hell. We still have each other and our health and I have an even MORE stable position with a huge company that I never would have had before without the experience that I gained with the ones that didnt work. Gotta have some faith that things will work out for the best. They usually do, do they not? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

btw zadian. I just re-read that and realized I could sound a little pompass since you dont really know me. Believe me, I know your concern for your friends and their families. I just try to find the bright side if possible, plus, I know that no matter what happens that a year from now they will be back on track with something and it will be good. Sometimes life throws us a little something new once in a while and it aint' that bad.

*deep thoughts by seenbad.....* *ponders in thinking man position....statuesque* [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

hope things will all work out for the best for everyone involved. seenbad's probably right (especially since he's got the 'sperience) but it's not something I'd care to go through.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sad update. It was announced the plant will close by November 2002. The area (I live in) largest employer will close.

Seenbad...You did not sound pompus at all, you are exactly right! I am currently not working there, laid laid off and called back twice in the last year. But in line with what you were saying, I, and many who were laid off in the last year, are fortunate enough to have had the time now to move on to other jobs, many like myself have returned to college, so we have already gone through the shock of losing a job and all that goes with it. But, the one difference was that we always have the chance to go back, the people affected by the closure don't. But no matter what, life goes on, and like I told a friend last night who is still working there. There are 2 options. 1) You can look at this as an opportunity to move onto to something else you want to try doing. or 2) You can feel sorry for yourself and blame the company all your life. I may sound pompus here myself, but that is how I look at it, and like you Seenbad I kinda have experience. The first time I was laid off I let it get me, chose the 'feel sorry for myself' option. Was a bad choice. When I was called back I decided that I needed a plan in case I was laid off again, which did happen I carried out my plan and returned to school. Much better choice [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks dor the responses and support. As I said, was just thinking of friends last night. Perhaps what Rikk said in another area of the forums I probably have calmed down [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, if we could just get a new Van Halen album things will surely start to look up!
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think people who work in manufacturing should look at these sorts of things and use it as a catlyst for changing their skill sets. It really just isn't possible to keep these sorts of jobs viable in a 1st world country on a long-term basis.

Heavier industry like car manufacturing, perhaps. But things like electronics and clothes dryers? Unions just try and slow the inevitable. We're becoming a knowledge and service based economy.