Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what are kids going to have to pee in cup before going to class now?

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court approved random drug tests for many public high school students Thursday, ruling that schools' interest in ridding their campuses of drugs outweighs an individual's right to privacy.

The 5-4 decision would allow the broadest drug testing the court has yet permitted for young people whom authorities have no particular reason to suspect of wrongdoing. It applies to students who join competitive after-school activities or teams, a category that includes many if not most middle-school and high-school students.

Previously these tests had been allowed only for student athletes.

"We find that testing students who participate in extracurricular activities is a reasonably effective means of addressing the school district's legitimate concerns in preventing, deterring and detecting drug use," Justice Clarence Thomas ( news - web sites) wrote for himself, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justices Antonin Scalia ( news - web sites), Anthony M. Kennedy and Stephen Breyer ( news - web sites).

the rest of the story is here
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

you can blame the damn chess players for this. They kept wanting to call themselves "athletes" [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and the debate club...

and the ever wild AV club... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's kind of ironic, isn't it? The kids least at risk to drugs are the ones they're planning on testing. Ya gotta love well thought out and deeply considered public policy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    It's kind of ironic, isn't it? The kids least at risk to drugs are the ones they're planning on testing. Ya gotta love well thought out and deeply considered public policy. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    How's this for irony for you, the day after "God" is taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, There are public vouchers for people that want to send there kids to private schools, including religious ones. Well maybe that is just hypocrisy, We won't make your kids say "Under god" but we'll take your hard earned cash and send someone else’s kid to Catholic school.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by NxtVanHalen.:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeL:
    How's this for irony for you, the day after "God" is taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, There are public vouchers for people that want to send there [sic] kids to private schools, including religious ones. Well maybe that is just hypocrisy, We won't make your kids say "Under god" but we'll take your hard earned cash and send someone else’s kid to Catholic school.</font>[/QUOTE]Keep in mind that people who send their kids to Catholic school aren't terribly pleased about their hard-earned money being used to send someone else's kid to public screwl, er, school either (since their tax dollars still go to the public school system of which I, sadly, wasted all 13 years of my K-12 "education").

Also note that the decision that "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance was unconstitutional (Newdow v. U.S. Congress) came from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (in San Francisco), not the Supreme Court--the latter of which was the source of the vouchers (Zelman v. Simmons-Harris) and drug testing (Board of Education of Independent School District No. 92 of Pottawatomie County v. Earls) rulings you're referring to. This should help to clear up the contradictions.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can understand that about the catholic school's parents, I'm not a fan of public school that much either, due to circumstances I won't get into but, I'm falling through the cracks in there attempt to separate the naturally gifted from the naturally not by creating the Technical degree and the College prep degree. I'm supposedly gifted but have some problems (real learning problems, not just laziness) with learning a foreign language and may not graduate at all because of it. I know they come from several different court rulings, but it seems they need to have a set of standards by witch they all go by. I guess I'm just unreasonable to believe something like that could happen.

[ June 27, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: NxtVanHalen. ]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    Keep in mind that people who send their kids to Catholic school aren't terribly pleased about their hard-earned money being used to send someone else's kid to public screwl, er, school either (since their tax dollars still go to the public school system
    That's just a non-starter. I don't have kids, and my tax money goes to pay for other people's kids. Empty-nesters still pay. We all pay for services that we don't individually use. People have choices, and if they choose to pay more than that is their right. Bitching about being taxed for something they don't directly take advantage of is foolish. We all benefit from the public school system, whether we make use of it or choose not to.

I, sadly, wasted all 13 years of my K-12 "education").
    Who's fault is that? Take some responisibility for yourself.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    Keep in mind that people who send their kids to Catholic school aren't terribly pleased about their hard-earned money being used to send someone else's kid to public screwl, er, school either (since their tax dollars still go to the public school system
    That's just a non-starter. I don't have kids, and my tax money goes to pay for other people's kids. Empty-nesters still pay. We all pay for services that we don't individually use. People have choices, and if they choose to pay more than that is their right. Bitching about being taxed for something they don't directly take advantage of is foolish. We all benefit from the public school system, whether we make use of it or choose not to.

Who's fault is that? Take some responisibility for yourself.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Fuck you!!!!

I graduated valedictorian!!!!

You motherfucker!!!!

Don't you dare suggest that my statement of wasting 13 years of MY LIFE in public screwl means that I did poorly in school.

I fucking rotted there, you asshole! My mind went to waste as we would spend two or three days at a time doing what I could grasp in one.

And I would love to have taken responsibility for my superior intellect if I could have, but I didn't have the fucking money or the fucking opportunity to get the education that my superior mind deserved, because there was no fucking competition for my lousy, no good, worthless, motherfucking public screwl.

Just totally fuck you, asshole!!!

[ June 27, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: UnleashVH ]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Fuck you!!!!

I graduated valedictorian!!!!

You motherfucker!!!!

Don't you dare suggest that my statement of wasting 13 years of MY LIFE in public screwl means that I did poorly in school.

I fucking rotted there, you asshole! My mind went to waste as we would spend two or three days at a time doing what I could grasp in one.

And I would love to have taken responsibility for my superior intellect if I could have, but I didn't have the fucking money or the fucking opportunity to get the education that my superior mind deserved, because there was no fucking competition for my lousy, no good, worthless, motherfucking public screwl.

Just totally fuck you, asshole!!!
    LOL.. what are you? 19 and bitter about being bored, or and underachiever that just can't accept fault?

Superior intellect? Oh, I can tell. It shows right through your little tantrum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    Who's fault is that? Take some responisibility [sic] for yourself.[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Sure...Avoid my point, asshole.

You assumed incorrectly, and I'd like an apology. Don't you dare assume that my excelling in screwl, albeit not to the point of utilizing my full abilities, is "my fault".

And it's "responsibility", not "responisibility".

Dickhead.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides, giving people educational opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have is the best reason to support vouchers.

Our public schools aren't getting the job done, and heated competition from private schools can help change that.

It will no doubt improve private schools, as well.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm the asshole and the dickhead here? Hmm.. perhaps I'll have to revise my ideas about public education. If you're the best example they can provide, than perhaps I'll agree that they are failing miserably.

Your whole point is based on your inability or unwillingness to take the initiative and find some challenge for yourself? C'mon. How many AP courses did you take? Did you explore post-secondary options? Did you demonstrate to your teachers that you didn't just want additional challenge, but also were capable of handling it?

Based on your lack of social skills in this thread, I doubt you did any of it.

I do love it when someone allows their own personal failings to determine their view of an issue. It makes for entertaining threads. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Our public schools aren't getting the job done, and heated competition from private schools can help change that.
    Competition exists when the playing field is level. For a variety of reason public schools are constrained in how they can compete. Comparing a public school to a private school is an apples vs. oranges situation.

Do you have any idea of the complexities found in cutting large amounts of money from public school budgets? Somehow I doubt it. I've got a very tiny bit of experience with this, and it's not so simple as eliminating a teaching position or making the kids walk further rather than ride the bus. But hey, let's not worry about the details, right?

You want to improve education? Find out what the successful public schools are doing, and show their real competition (other public schools) how to work more effectively. That's how education in this country will improve. Hold administrators, educators, parents, and students responsible for the education that goes on.

Nobody is interested in doing that though, because vouchers have a nice sound, and some guy in a slick suit can make a nice soundbite out of it for his political campaign.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Unleash, Mike says sorry for unfairly belittling you publicly. Mike, Unleash says sorry for flying off the handle instead of politely correcting you. Shake shake, kiss kiss. Great.
    Lets cool off.

This is another pretty big court decision worth a lot of discussion. Lets keep it cool....for a while at least. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen