Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Artificial intelligence no match for natural stupidity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Ray Ratto
    Special to ESPN.com

There is something to the notion that almost anything can be funny if placed in the hands of the right practitioner.

And then there's Beau Duran's phone call to Flynn Kile during the Cardinals-Diamondbacks series, in which a Phoenix radio disc jockey asked the widow of Cardinal pitcher Darryl Kile if she was bringing a date to the game.

KUPD removed this bio of shock jock Beau Duran from its Web site Friday and placed a "suspended" stamp across his picture. Station officials were unavailable for comment.
    Wrong guy. Wrong idea.

And then there's Chuck Artigue, Duran's boss, who apologized but otherwise initially declined to discipline Phoenix's new king of comedy, saying, "There's a thousand things that morning shows do that are far more concerning.''

Again, wrong guy. Wrong idea.

We spent several minutes trying to find an example where calling a widow three months after her husband's death made for hilarious radio, or hilarious anything else, for that matter. Then we realized it didn't matter. It only showed why some people's careers stop where they do.

Now the Cardinals are understandably outraged, being the protective lot they are. Manager Tony La Russa all but demanded Duran's firing in a tirade that matched his famous 45-minute stem-winder ripping Jose Canseco after the 1992 trade that sent Canseco to Texas.

But he is shooting the fly with the surface-to-air missiles here. I mean, the moment's passed, Flynn Kile understands that mindless cruelty does not endure, and Beau Duran is still known as the guy who couldn't come up with anything better than, "Hey, let's call Darryl Kile's wife and tell her she's hot.''

Morning radio is an indelicate but sophisticated art form, and a few folks have figured how to be funny, informative and offensive in various combinations.

The problem is that the good ones have spawned gruesome imitators who can do offensive but miss on the other two. Most of the imitators call their show "The Morning Zoo,'' or just use their last names as though anyone cares who they are.

And a few break out of their anonymity by seeking out ideas that are so stupid that they don't even offend. This is several of those examples.

We could muster more outrage if we didn't think that Flynn Kile could identify a nitwit when she hears one. Since Beau Duran is unworthy of her discomfort, we can only assume that her annoyance lasted only long enough for her to realize that the 46-chromosome minimum isn't for everyone.

But then there's Artigue, the boss who said Sunday that he didn't think Duran's stunt worthy of inclusion in the top thousand "more concerning'' stunts in morning radio history.

Ignoring his strangled syntax, we'd like the list of the thousand that top this one. We'd also have liked to know why he thought it wasn't too stupid a stunt to warrant some sort of punishment, and we'd also have liked to know why he was the one doing all the apologizing.

Then we realized that it didn't matter, either. They deserve each other, in Phoenix, trying to make sense of how they wrecked their careers and reputations on a stunt that wasn't funny enough to have cleared even the most rudimentary staff meeting.

Their ratings may not even show it. Morning radio is not unlike the frog in that even the worst of it survives nearly anything its talent can do to it -- sort of like baseball itself, when you think of it.

But they'll always be known as the guys who thought phoning Flynn Kile and asking her if she was bringing a date to the game was a funny idea, and they'll know that it's the reason why they remained in Phoenix until someone found a less deserving market for both of them.

And if, despite it all, they not only survive but also continue their bold march to the middle of the monkey ladder, they'll still know how stupid they can be. And that's enough to keep them both up at nights for awhile.

Ray Ratto is a columnist with the San Francisco Chronicle and a regular contributor to ESPN.com

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I heard about this today. This Beau character better be wearing some serious kevy when he walks out his door for awhile.

This was beyond the normal sick joke routine. Too sad that Mrs. Kile had to put up with this.

Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Last Online

05.03.05 @ 09:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow - I listen to that morning show, I missed that episode. -

I'm not gonna bother listening to them anymore.

thanks for the info

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I post on the St. Louis Cardinals board on ESPN all the time, were all real pissed about this guy. Especially since all he's going to get is a week long suspension with pay.

This actually hurt me and im just a fan, a huge one, but still just a fan. I can only imagine how that made her feel.

I actually live in Arizona now, maybe I should go kick the shit out of this guy.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    This idiot is just trying to make a name for himself. What a loser !!

I feel bad for Mrs. Kile. She has endured enough this year without some joker doing this.

Too bad !! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I don't know what is worse.

The actual phone call this bozo made OR the ambivalence and indifference being shown by the station manager. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

It's times like this that I'm glad I finally got out of radio.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

It goes to show you that anybody will do or say anything to make a name for themselves. That DJ is just a stupid asshole!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Some people haven't got a clue...

But I wanna know how in the world he got her phone number?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What a wanker...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

01.30.07 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stupid people shouldn't breed.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 79th and Sunset:
    This idiot is just trying to make a name for himself. What a loser !!

I feel bad for Mrs. Kile. She has endured enough this year without some joker doing this.

Too bad !! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    he is just an asshole
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Last Online

05.03.05 @ 09:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok I've slept on this for a night and it still pisses me off - so I wrote the station an email, and if anyone else is interested in doing so - here is the address

opinions@98kupd.com

this guy has no class and shouldn't be on the air, imho