Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Are there any farmers/ranchers here at the Links? I'm just curious on how bad this problem really is. It seems like the goverment is going a little over-board with the destruction of these animals.

I heard a genletman on the radio the other day talking about how this whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the European goverments and how it looks like the U.S.A. is jumping aboard the hysteria train.

This guy made some interesting points. It also inspired me to look up some stuff on Hoof and mouth disease.

First of all it is not the deadly Mad Cow Disease. It is nowhere as deadly as this disease is. But you see it mentioned in the same breath by uniformed and irresponsible reporters. There is a vaccine for Hoof and Mouth disease. It's not 100% effective but then again what vaccine is. The guy on the radio said most(like in the 90 percentile) animals would survive this disease. They may become lame but they would survive. It has not, yet, been proven that it can pass to humans. The meat is safe to eat.

My questions are:

1) If there is a vaccine then why is there not wide-spread use of it to inoculate the herds? It can't be the money. You don't have to be a financial wizard to figure out the farmers and ranchers are losing more money by destroying their herds than it would cost them to inoculate animals.

2) If the majority of the animals can survive this disease then why destroy them? So, it won't spread to other hooved animals? That's what the vaccine could help prevent or lessen.

3) If you must destroy the animals, then why not eat them? It can't be passed to humans. Thus, what is the danger to us?

It just seems strange to me that all these goverments are getting a little caried away with the mass destruction of livestock herds.
    I just saw on the news last night some farmer had his entire herd of sheep taken away by federal agents. Hundreds of sheep taken. Know how many had the disease? 4, that's how many. Hundreds of sheep destroyed because four of the animals had the disease. Strange. This disease is not the dreaded Mad Cow disease which is fatal 100% of the time. Yet it is being treated as such and the media, and the public in general, think nothing about it. Oh, the goverment says it's bad so it must be. Duh, we be mindless zombies. Don't question a thing the goverment do or say.

I just think it is strange that there is a vaccine for this disease and it's not being used. What gives? Any farmers/ranchers out there, we would appreciate you input/answers to these questions.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not very informed about H&M, but Mad Cow is a scourge. If that makes it to the US it has the potential to greatly alter our way of life. Ever read the reports on people with vCJD(I think that's it) in England? That's some scary stuff.

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    I'm not very informed about H&M, but Mad Cow is a scourge. If that makes it to the US it has the potential to greatly alter our way of life. Ever read the reports on people with vCJD(I think that's it) in England? That's some scary stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Mike Mad Cow disease is horrible but Hoof and Mouth disease is no-where near has terrible as that. There is a vaccine for it yet no counties seem to want to spend the money to inoculate their herds. I think CNN might have an article about Brazil starting to inoculate their cattle. It just seems strange to me that these goverments are trying to make Hoof and Mouth disease seem as bad as Mad Cow Disease. It's almost as if they want their farmers and ranchers to go under.

Also that farmer, whose sheep were taken from his farm by federal agents, was pretty upset. He has a lawyer going after the goverment about how the just came in like gang-busters and demanded the sheep be handed over. Even though only four should any signs of Foot and Mouth disease. Another strange thing was that this farm&lt; I think, was in the Eastern part of the U.S.A. but they(the goverment) were transporting the sheep to Oklahoma to be destroyed. WTF?

I don't think enough people are seriously looking into this and are taking what the goverment says as the final word. Just seems strange to me.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

Ok, go to www.cnn.com

They have two articles on Foot and mouth disese. It seems that Ireland has found some infected animals. So why are they sending police and soldiers to quarntine the farm? If it's not harmful to humans then why the panic? Strange strange strange! The Netherlands destroys 20,0000 thousand animals. WTF? Shit is getting crazier and crazier by the minute over there in Europe. It almost seems like they are intentionally trying to put their farmers and ranchers out of business. Strange.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in Vet School at North Carolina State University, so maybe I can shed a little light and dispell some rumors. A lot of what you guys said is true.

-It's not a threat to human health, although people CAN carry it and transmit it, it does not affect us in the least. The virus can live in the lungs for about 3 days in humans, but like I said, it does nothing to humans, no lesions or anything. There was supposedly one case of a human having it back in the 60's, but all he had was mild lesions and it isn't even 100% sure he had it anyway.

-All the "hype" you guys hear is totally based on the media over-dramatizing it. The general public has this misconception about viruses, basically that all viruses kill everybody and are bad. While it probably IS the most infectious virus known to man, that only deals with how easily it is transmitted, not the actual effects. It produced "vesicles", which are basically really bad, big blisters. They burst, forming ulcerations in the mouth and on the hooves, causing them pain, but only death in less than 5% of cases (I'd probably say less than that). They may stop eating for a day or two because the ulcers in the mouth hurt too bad to eat, but they ultimately get over it and return to optimum production. The main worry is reduced production, not death. They do slow down for a while, but they regain thereafter.

-It is transmitted through just about every secretion from the animal (urine, semen, saliva, mucus, milk, feces) and in a high concentration. It only AFFECTS cloven-hooved animals (cattle, sheep, goats, deer, pigs....). It spreads so fast because of its easy transmission and constant travel of animals amongst farms.

-The meat from these animals is absolutely, 100%, sure as your mama is a woman, safe to eat. I'd eat it myself if you gave me some right now.

-Mad Cow disease is WAYYYYYY worse than this, but nowhere near as easily transmitted. That is probably the reason for the over-hyping by the media: They are focusing on how infectious it is and not how bad it actually affects the animal.

-There are seven strains of the virus, and you must have a vaccine for all seven, because vaccinating for one strain does not protect against all of them. The problem with vaccination in the US is 1) There is not enough vaccine stockpiled to vaccinate all animals and there is no way to stockpile that much anytime soon. 2)If we require vaccination in the United States, then the United States will be considered "endemic" for the virus (meaning considered typically present in the US at all times), and therefore our products would be banned from being exported to other countries. That ain't good.

-The reason they are killing so many animals is because with a disease that is spread this easily, it only takes one or two animals that slip between the cracks to cause a whole state or country to have an outbreak. Therefore, you can't take any chances if you want to control it. If you were in the radius (however many miles it is) of an infected farm, you have to kill you animal, even if you only have 1 pet goat and you've had him since you were a kid, tough shit, he's dead. It sucks, but in order to contain the disease (if you really want to), this has to be done, and even a drastic measure like this still might not work.

-As far as why we can't eat the ones we are destroying, I'm not 100% percent sure, but I think it has to do with the fact that in order to eat the meat, it has to obviously be transported, and since it is so infectious, I think even that poses a risk as far as transmission. If we just said the hell with it and let it spread and be endemic, we would probably be eating them now as long as the FDA approved it.

-if it makes it over here, we are probably gonna be stuck with it for good, unless the USDA pulls a miracle out of their butts. By the time we notice it, it will be too late. The vesicles are in the mouth and on the feet, and the average farmer looks at his cow or pig's feet and in their mouth very, very few times, there is really no need to unless you are looking for something specific. Also, in pigs, there are two other diseases (off the top of my head) that have the same exact lesions in the mouth as Foot and Mouth: Vesicular Exanthema and Swine Vesicular Disease. They are virtually impossible to tell from Foot and Mouth without lab testing.

-I also believe that the farmers in the UK are getting money from the government for their animals. Not too sure about that part though.

- So in conclusion, the media is causing a lot of the panic over this by taking advantage of the general public's fear of viruses. This virus has been around for a long, long time. Although it is a RNA virus which are notorious for mutating, if it were going to mutate to a form that could affect humans, it would have done it long ago.

Damn that was long..........

[ March 22, 2001 at 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Nature Boy ]

[ March 22, 2001 at 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Nature Boy ]

Last Online

Thanks Nature Boy for clearing some of that shit up. But I think that the goverments are as much to blame as the media is for all the hype. If all countries innoculated their cattle then there would be less of a problem and meat could still be bought and sold without the worry of some epidemic. Oh well, what do I know. It just seems a little strange and out of control how these goverments are handling the situation(s).

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree, there are so many factors with this whole thing that have to be considered, it's mind boggling. The vaccination thing just won't work, because I don't think that all of the strains have a vaccine, and like I said, there aren't enough of them anyway. As soon as you vaccinate against those, a new one will mutate, and we'll have to change the vaccine again, kind of like the flu vaccine. It doesn't protect against all the strains of influenza, just some of the more prevalent ones. Ontop of that, I'm not sure how expensive a vaccine would be either. It would be real hard to get EVERYBODY in the world to vaccinate if an effective one were found. It's just one big cluster****. Hopefully we won't have to deal with it. Maybe we can export to some of these countries that are infected and jack up the prices and mak some serious $$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    If this got loose here in Australia, it would cost us 30 billion dollars Australian on day one, and then 6 billion for every day afterwards. We would be pretty much broke in a week or 3.

Whats really crazy is Australia put a flat out ban on all imported meat products as soon as this thing broke - and fair enough given what I just said above. You GOTTA be able to protect your own economy I would think. So the EU cries foul and runs to those 'world trade organization' dictators, who lever us to lift some bans. They dont say anything to the USA though, who have near identical bans in place. Scaredy cats
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......