Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Spinal Tap-VH?

  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    01.01.02
    Posts
    2
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    it's soooo related in soooo many ways. But yeah, I remember that bass, and yeah, it's a direct poke/ influence @/of VH
    giv'er

  2. #2
    Hang 'Em High jrk5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.12.01
    Age
    47
    Location
    Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Posts
    7,096
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Changes with the day
    Last Online

    09.28.16 @ 04:29 AM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 188 Times in 107 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    That movie is the balls. Laugh my ass off every time. My wife just doesn't get it. A "Mach" piece, Lick my Lovepump. LOL.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk FORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Mighty Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,806
    Favorite VH Album

    All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    04.22.16 @ 10:07 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Kinda funny isn't it.... Spinal Tap was a movie satirizing hard rock. Now it looks more like Van Halen has become a satire of Spinal Tap.

    Even if they get their shit together and get on the road, Alex will probably explode on stage.

    BTW, get the Spinal Tap DVD !!
    Eat Us And Smile

    Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

    ...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

    "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

    Howard Dean for President 2012. YEEEAAARRRGGGHHH!

  4. #4
    The Dude Dan Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.16.00
    Age
    31
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    Posts
    9,345
    Last Online

    09.26.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I saw "This Is Spinal Tap" the other day and was wondering if the stripes on the bass player's bass were supposed to be like Ed's guitars. There are tons of references to other bands, and I thought that could have been one related to VH.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

  5. #5
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 11:20 AM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Originally posted by laminar flow:
    it's soooo related in soooo many ways. But yeah, I remember that bass, and yeah, it's a direct poke/ influence @/of VH
    you don't know shit!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    5,196
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    09.15.15 @ 07:40 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    that movie is hilarious. i love the scene when the bass player can't get out of that console when they play until right when the song is over. holy shit, that was amazing.

  7. #7
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    12.08.01
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    261
    Last Online

    11.10.08 @ 07:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Okay, just some thoughts on this...

    I don't think the stripes on Derek's bass was so much a stab or jab at Eddie as it was the the rush to be like Ed. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Derek play mainly BC Rich'es? At the time the film came out (83'ish)that was the guitar of choice with the metal set (see Zebra, Wasp, ect...

    It was also the time when every guitar player was either trying to find a design of his own or trying to rip off someone else. Aside from Eddie's strips (of which you could count Stryper), there where pleny of guys trying to come up with something that could come near to touching Ed. Some that come to mind

    Warren DiMartino - Snake Skin guitar
    Zack Wilde - Bullseye
    Billy Gibbons - the furry explorer
    Phil Cohen - custom jackson's
    Warrant - the DRFSR money gutiars
    George Lynch - Mr Scary and the Kamikaze designs

    I always thought of the stripes on derek's bass as more of a refelection on the early 80's then as a rip off. By that time, every fucking freak was trying to "add" somethng to his guitar to either...

    a.) emulate Eddie
    b.) try to create an image

    Funny how it works out. Today, does anyone really care or purchase a guitar because Jerry from Warrant endorsed it? Yet I see a lot of people buying the Wolfgang mainly because it's endorsed by EVH. (And what great work he has done since it was released. I loved that song... uhh, wait let me think... shit... has he recorded anything good since he hooked up with Peavy?)

    More power to you if you have a wolfie, but what happens if EVH decides he is going to pimp for Fender? Suddenly EVH starts putting down the Wofie as a peice of shit and who is left holding the bag...

    At least Nigel knew how to push it over the cliff. When your at ten, you can't go any louder.

    That's why this one goes to eleven.

    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?

  8. #8
    Good Enough Cabo Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Age
    47
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    2,679
    Favorite VH Album

    VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

    On Fire
    Last Online

    08.27.15 @ 01:07 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Originally posted by FORD:
    BTW, get the Spinal Tap DVD !!
    I've heard that there is like an extra 1 1/2 hours of outtakes that have never been seen before. Is this true?

    By far, one of the BEST movies!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

  9. #9
    Damage your reputation seenbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.24.00
    Age
    44
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    26,940
    Favorite VH Album

    Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the one
    Last Online

    09.26.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Likes
    72
    Liked 248 Times in 89 Posts


    Donor

    Stonehenge
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

    Gunter glieben glauchen globen

  10. #10
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.03.01
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,193
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

    Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

    01.10.09 @ 12:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Originally posted by Grover:
    Okay, just some thoughts on this...

    I don't think the stripes on Derek's bass was so much a stab or jab at Eddie as it was the the rush to be like Ed. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Derek play mainly BC Rich'es? At the time the film came out (83'ish)that was the guitar of choice with the metal set (see Zebra, Wasp, ect...

    It was also the time when every guitar player was either trying to find a design of his own or trying to rip off someone else. Aside from Eddie's strips (of which you could count Stryper), there where pleny of guys trying to come up with something that could come near to touching Ed. Some that come to mind

    Warren DiMartino - Snake Skin guitar
    Zack Wilde - Bullseye
    Billy Gibbons - the furry explorer
    Phil Cohen - custom jackson's
    Warrant - the DRFSR money gutiars
    George Lynch - Mr Scary and the Kamikaze designs

    I always thought of the stripes on derek's bass as more of a refelection on the early 80's then as a rip off. By that time, every fucking freak was trying to "add" somethng to his guitar to either...

    a.) emulate Eddie
    b.) try to create an image

    Funny how it works out. Today, does anyone really care or purchase a guitar because Jerry from Warrant endorsed it? Yet I see a lot of people buying the Wolfgang mainly because it's endorsed by EVH. (And what great work he has done since it was released. I loved that song... uhh, wait let me think... shit... has he recorded anything good since he hooked up with Peavy?)

    More power to you if you have a wolfie, but what happens if EVH decides he is going to pimp for Fender? Suddenly EVH starts putting down the Wofie as a peice of shit and who is left holding the bag...

    At least Nigel knew how to push it over the cliff. When your at ten, you can't go any louder.

    That's why this one goes to eleven.

    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
    ummm not really, I would say it was a mock of Ed, because the movie mocked older bands at that time, obviously alot of 70's British bands...

    also the movie came out in 1984, and was probably filmed in 1983...

    so..... Warrant didn't exist
    ZZTop??? Ummmmmm Billy Gibbons furry guitar was used in the videos of 1983, so maybe...

    Zakk was unknown still...

    George Lynch??? 1983...

    But I don't think that these guys had their own style guitar because of Ed...hell George and Ed played in the same scene in LA at the same time starting up.....

  11. #11
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    07.11.01
    Age
    46
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    241
    Favorite VH Album

    Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

    All
    Last Online

    11.10.14 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FORD:
    BTW, get the Spinal Tap DVD !!
    I've heard that there is like an extra 1 1/2 hours of outtakes that have never been seen before. Is this true?

    By far, one of the BEST movies!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes there is. It's like a whole new movie! And very funny. Also try turning on the audio commentary and then play the movie.

    "Hello Cleveland! Rock-n-Roll!"

    So do you thing Van Halen will be opening for a puppet show anytime soon? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Face Down in Cabo!

  12. #12
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    5,080
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.14.15 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by seenbad:
    Stonehenge
    14"
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

  13. #13
    Niners Fan! SactoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.00
    Age
    46
    Location
    The Tiki Bar...
    Posts
    9,524
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    6
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by seenbad:
    Stonehenge
    14" </font>[/QUOTE]"It's not MY fault Nigel doesn't know the difference between feet and inches..."

    "Well, you're not as confused as Nigel is, are you??"
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

  14. #14
    5150 P1's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.04.01
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    680
    Last Online

    03.29.06 @ 12:41 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FORD:
    BTW, get the Spinal Tap DVD !!
    I've heard that there is like an extra 1 1/2 hours of outtakes that have never been seen before. Is this true? </font>[/QUOTE]Yep. Deleted scenes, trailers, videos, etc.
    It's a must have DVD.

    "Well, she should be made to smell it..."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Armadillos In Our Trousers: The OFFICIAL Spinal Tap Thread
    By sixstring in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06.18.09, 03:55 PM
  2. Spinal Tap-Ultra Rare Tap, Vol. 11
    By voivod in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.16.06, 10:55 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.11.06, 03:28 PM
  4. Spinal Tap
    By Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03.17.06, 05:53 AM
  5. This is getting close to Spinal Tap
    By Ashe in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.26.01, 05:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •