Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was looking to improve my speed. I'm gonna be on varsity football this year and I wanna play at WR. So I need to move fast right off the line of scrimmage, and continue to pick up speed and move real fast. So does anyone know what the best way to improve speed is? Sprints, jogging, or any other exercises. And if so, how should I pace myself with these exercises? How many should I do? Thanks for the help [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm no fitness buff but I used to play football about a hundred years ago. Receivers on my team used to train by running half-submerged in a pool or running with ankle weights on. Kinda like swinging three bats before you step to the plate. Anyway, hope this might help.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

excellent [img]smile.gif[/img]
    right up my alley.

you need to lift weights. if you want to build your speed up, do some leg exercises with some decreased weight, and do it as fast as you can.
    for example, do speed leg presses, for 3 sets of 30 seconds, in other words, do as many as you can in 30 seconds.
    other examples, leg extensions, and leg curls. if you know what power cleans are, do those too, but those are a pretty technical exercise.

sprints are huge. make sure you do a proper warm up, and don't go 100 percent at first.
    before you just go balls out, do some skipping, and knee lifts, and ass kickers (PM me, you have no clue about what i'm saying do ya).

um, i'll see what other people have to say, but if you want, definitely give me a PM, and i'll help you out in better detail. i bet this seems pretty vague right now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah , I was gonna say - some serious weight -training is crucial , UW - you gotta get those quads in shape more than anything - they're responsible for your bursts of power.

Also, verrrrry important for your flexibility and to ward of injury - lots and lots of stretching and flexibility exercises.

Hope you kick some ass this year, Superfly!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh I pretty much got the weight training down. Right now it's mandatory, and we do squats, power cleans, leg curls, leg extensions, and im probably forgetting a few more. I have been told about the speed stuff Laner is talking about, but he makes us follow his card, no ifs ands or buts. So alot of that speed stuff is out of the question. We workout every other day, so I was looking for things to do on off days to go the extra mile, which will be mostly running for me. Is it good to do any weight lifting on consecutive days for the same part of your body? I'm not sure about legs, but I'm pretty sure your only supposed to work out on weights every other day on the same parts of your body.
    I am awesome

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

give your legs at least a day of rest. sometimes two.
    our coach always had us do legs on monday and thursday, and arms on tuesday and friday.
    good with the squats and cleans, those things are awesome. especially cleans. i swear by them.
    your weight training is more directed towards general strength buildup, or is it more power? or do you know?

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was born with sprinting speed, so it was natural to me. I never had to work on that part of the game, but I know some friends that did. What they would often do is go to the stands at the football field and run up and down those bleachers. Also, do it by bringing those knees up to your chest.

Sterroids worked for Carl Lewis. But I didn't experiment with those until later. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

All I have to add to this is, don't forget to stretch, to prevent injury. Especially your achilles tendons. Now go get 'em tiger!
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The weight training is directed towards Power. And the only time my legs are gonna be able to rest is sunday, maybe Saturday too sometimes.
    I am awesome

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

UW,

laner had some good points! there's basically two ways you can increase your speed. lifting light weights very quickly for a determined period of time, or, lifting very heavy weight once or twice for a determined period of time. you're probably gonna wanna do some plyometrcis as well and some balancing techniques as they will all come together.

email or pm me and i'll point you to some programs! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes, i would definitely include plyos in your warm up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I already do plyo's [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

01.05.06 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember Don Beebe?? Very fast WR who played for Buffalo and Green Bay. He has his own company...

House of Speed

Hmm... just realized this probably isn't going to help you much... I mean, I know I didn't have the money to pay for something like this when I was in school. Oh well, maybe you can get something from it anyway...

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 538 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Once you're strectched out (which has been said but should be said and said and said)

You need to do explosive motions against resistance to produce speed, and you need to practice to improve technique. Practice exploding off the ball on a beach, for instance. I am against ankle weights, too much stress on the knee. I am not a wight lifting guy, but played college basketball and had to work out pretty extensively. You not only want faster, but quicker. You need to work on cuts and quick movements, which can take the form of agilities you probably do in practice, but at FULL speed. Again, break it up by doing it on the beach, or with a weighted vest, etc, to get some type of resistance. I'm assuming the parachute rig that sprinters work out with is beyond your means, so you need to find another way. The pool, mentioned earlier, is a good way too, but it can be hard to keep form in a pool.

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The advice here is good! Plyometrics works on explosive movement. AND the Power phase in the weight room where you explode up and ease down. This phase in the weight room has a high risk for injury so see if you can get some pointers from trainers in the gym you work out in as far as proper technique etc. For what its worth muscle type is made up of 2 main types Fast Twitch fibers and Slow twitch fibers. Fast twitch muscle fiber are the kind that enable explosive movement and sprint ability the downside is not a lot of endurance. Slow twitch are muscle fibers that excell at endurance. You can train you body to improve but the predominant type of muscle type in the muscles you use in your sport, will indicate what you excel at.
    WHEW that was a mouth full!
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"