Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahaha, all you guys voted for him!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

but seriously, the amount of military you guys have is way too much anyway. maybe he should be spending the cuts on education and health care. instead of the incredibly dumb star wars idea. but, that's my liberal political stance on things. however, if i were you guys, i'd prefer that the US kept the military the way it was, and not waste the money on the missile defense system, which i think is pretty dumb. after the collapse of the soviet union, there's no one to get into a nuclear war with. i'm still waiting for georgie to realize this.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Bush sucks!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Rumsfield is looking at cutting 1 or 2 of 12 carrier battle groups (~10-15% of the Navy), 2.8 of 10 Army divisions (~30%), and 16 of 61 Air Force fighter squadrons (~25%). So much for remaining a super-power... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I mean, what the fuck? Do they want a usable force at all? Do they give a shit about protecting and being able to protect American interests?

All this to fund the white elephant that is national missle defence. Have the fools ever heard of the Maginot Line? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Fucking brilliant. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by laner:
    but seriously, the amount of military you guys have is way too much anyway. maybe he should be spending the cuts on education and health care.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without the economic and political stability the military provides us, those last two items don't amount to a hill of beans. Sorry, laner.

The US military is stretched very thin right now. We may have one of the largest standing militaries (and certainly the largest professional military), but we've also got far more commitments for out military than anyone else. NATO, the UN, Korea, Iraq, Taiwan, and Japan. We basically provide the stability that much of the rest of the world enjoys.

If force levels were cut by the proposed numbers, we'd not be able to keep all of those commitments. We wouldn't be able to react the next time a country like Iraq threatens our economy. There's not enough money right now to do all of the upkeep and training for our forces. We honestly need more money for the military, not less.

The best way to find that money would be to do another round of base closings. The DoD has claimed they have about 25% more bases than they need. They've still got to do all the upkeep on those bases, and pay all of the civillian and military workers who provide support services on them. That's expensive shit. The problem is that Congress won't close bases, because each represenative with a base in their district is leery of the econimic loses the closing would mean for their folks at home.

It'll be interesting to see if this administration has the backbone and courage to do things the right way.

I'd toss in brains, but they're the ones raiding social security to issue these tax rebate checks that everyone thinks is coming from the budget surplus. Maybe they're smarter than they seem though, pulling the wool over the eyes of the public like that.
    [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I agree mike. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] That would be right up there with some of the biggest cuts EVER. Who would have had any idea he would even contemplate this? Go figure, one of the only legitimate branches/operatives of the U.S. Government and they want to cut it?!?! Thats fuckin stupid. Nuke welfare, use more lottery money, but dont cut our defenses! Mr. Bush losses a BIG point from me on this one, just lookin at it or not. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeL:

Without the economic and political stability the military provides us, those last two items don't amount to a hill of beans. Sorry, laner.
    [Quote]i understand totally about the commitments that the military has, but saying that education and health care don't amount to a hill of beans gives me the impression that the US government doesn't care about that stuff either. some president you guys have.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Kick Ass! Another political thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but seriously, the amount of military you guys have is way too much anyway.

I think cutting back on the "US-as-world-police" military is a good idea. I haven't looked into what aspects of the military are being considered for cutbacks, but if it's stuff that is NOT essential to our OWN defense, fine by me. The US has had its nose in too many places it doesn't belong for way too long anyway.

maybe he should be spending the cuts on education and health care. instead of the incredibly dumb star wars idea.

Actually, having the federal gov't involved in education and health care has been a mistake from the get-go; the costs of each keep going up while their quality has gone down. The FDA's 'RDAs' alone are a terrible injustice, the ridiculous costs of medical care, insurance, and prescription medication is out of control. And the idea of pumping gov't $$ into the schools has done a LOT of harm to the school systems. Being a teacher, I see shit that would turn you purple, due to gov't guidelines and programs and policies.

after the collapse of the soviet union, there's no one to get into a nuclear war with. i'm still waiting for georgie to realize this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a growing threat in China; relations with that country are CRUCIAL to our future safety. Pretty much the entire Middle East is an ever-present danger, even if limited (so far) to rogue terroristic attacks. The volatility of that region alone is NOT limited to just that region; our inane ties to Israel have made us a major enemy to most over there, not to mention our oil problems.

But as I said, I haven't seen the specifics of what COULD be cut back, so I haven't enough information yet to form a specific opinion of the matter. But the one thing I am adamant about is that we do NOT need any more gov't intervention in our health care and educational systems.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

well the enlistment rates are down for the armed forces. and they do not pay well at all.

they're probably gonna cut out expenses they don't need and give more money to the guys they do need (whoever that may be).

they can always activate the reserves whenever they need to, they have that option.

who knows what they're gonna do... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

after the collapse of the soviet union, there's no one to get into a nuclear war with. i'm still waiting for georgie to realize this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who the hell said the world was now a safe place just because the Soviet Union is a thing of the past? Who woke up one day and said, "Gee, the world is now a safe place."
    My mind is not made up whether or not a missile defense system is viable or needed, but the nuclear threat is still very real. We're talking about countries like N.Korea, India, Pakistan, China, Russia, Iran, and Iraq. Countries that now have nuclear weapon technology or soon will have. Most of these countries are politically unstable and just may not give a damn about the consequences of trading nuclear blows with another country. At least with the Soviet Union we knew where we stood.

[ August 13, 2001 at 07:48 AM: Message edited by: BigBadBrian ]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeL:
    [qb]

[Quote]i understand totally about the commitments that the military has, but saying that education and health care don't amount to a hill of beans gives me the impression that the US government doesn't care about that stuff either. some president you guys have.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you understood this, at least not in the context Mike meant. Go read it again.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was in the Navy, I used to walk under a huge sign at the head of the pier on my way to the ship. It said - "Power for Peace." Alot of people just don't realize how true that is.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scru u all...

Bush is the best President we have had since... well... Bush [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2001 at 08:28 AM: Message edited by: I_ama_BMF ]
    <b><i>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Darkness, imprisoning me.<br />All that I see: absolute horror.<br />I cannot live<br />I cannot die<br />Trapped in myself<br />Body my holding cell<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /></i></b>

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reminds me about the people who complained about military jet noise--sound of freedom, people!!

It's just mind-boggling (OK, not really) to see people in Congress looking out for their own interests, and telling the military they need more ships, or more C-130s, just to keep jobs in their district.

Especially sad is the reduction in carrier battle groups--I'm biased, but nothing shows US presence and helps keep things from breaking out altogether like a carrier!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall the day a president asks "where are the carriers?", and someone has the brass balls to say "in drydock, sir." (I know that won't happen) 1-2 carriers are usually unavailable in a pinch cause they're going through an overhaul of one kind or another; the others will have longer deployments (more than 6 months) to cover for that. Then crews become disenchanted, and get out of the service because of the long separation from family.

What happens to Star Wars when the first missile gets through the shield? I know that some things have to keep progressing through the R&D stage, but you also gotta pay somebody to operate the equipment and provide for the families too. There's way too many that are still below poverty level!

It'll be like the 70s all over again, and SECDEF Rumsfeld ought to know better than almost anyone what that was like! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If you're gonna increase defense spending, do it in the right places!!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator