Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I don't know how many of you are avid readers but I enjoy a good book almost as much as I enjoy a good movie. Here's a couple of my faves and I'd like to see some of you guys post yours.

I'm currently ready Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth Series. I'm currently on Book 3.

My all time fave series of books has to be the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Book 10 is due out Nov. 12 one day before my birthday and I'm really looking forward to picking it up.

I love all sci-fi and fantasy and needless to say have to include LOTR and the Hobbit as one of the all-time greats.

"It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm suprised nobody had started a book club thread before, maybe there was one from ages ago that's been forgotton....anyway, on to the matter in hand:

i'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series of books. i think there are 27 with the 28th being released in november. they're a fantastic mix of sci-fi and comedy and are available in both britain and america, probably elsewhere too but i haven't checked anywhere else!

has anyone else read any of the "Discworld" books? if not maybe someone out there will start reading them thanks to this post [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

happy reading guys and girls [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

If any of you guys are into a cool detective-series (serial killers, etc.), check out John Sanford's excellent "Prey" series of books featuring the character of Lucas Davenport. You've gotta start with "Rules of Prey" and there's probably 13 books in the series. It's one of those books that's hard to put down!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a huge reader and I never even finished the book, but Rainbow six is pretty awesome. And if you like Fantasy books you should read, god my friend is borrowing it but it is Magic The Gatering Anthologies, or somthing like that, it is comprised of some cool one-nighter short stories.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I read mostly histories, biographies, and books on math...Currently reading The Number Devil and Bob Miller's Algebra for the Clueless...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I mostly read technical (as in computer programming and design) and history books. I think the last fiction book I've read was Stephen King's Four From Midnight back about '93.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't read much fiction anymore. lately it's been industry stuff, Survival in the Music Industry, etc. and a bunch of biographies. the Keith Richards one is a favorite. i revisit DLR's book and the two Stern books every now and then.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love to read, but I rarely talk about it. Go figure. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, you may want to take a read through an older thread here that Gully started as well, which went for quite a while -

The Reading Room

In the meantime, I'll try to get my ass in gear and start posting about some stuff that I enjoy reading. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I thought me & VG were the only ones who read here!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

I just finished "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden (BlackHawk Down)and I'm currently reading "Stranger in a Strange Land."
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    If any of you guys are into a cool detective-series (serial killers, etc.), check out John Sanford's excellent "Prey" series of books featuring the character of Lucas Davenport. You've gotta start with "Rules of Prey" and there's probably 13 books in the series. It's one of those books that's hard to put down!
    Yeah these are good. I got turned on to them earlier this year, and have burned through all but the last two. They're cool for me cuz I live in Minnesota where the books are set.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last 2 books I read were

The Stand Stephen King
    Tales from the Dugout Mike Shannon

currently reading

You're Missing a Great Game - Whitey Herzog former manager of St. Louis Carndinals
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Speaking of baseball books, Murdock - if you baseball fans have never read "The Bronx Zoo" or "The Year I Owned The Yankees" by Sparky Lyle, you're totally missing out on two great reads. you don't even have to be Yankee fan to enjoy them.

I have read several other baseball books - will post about a few more later.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 540 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Jeez, I can't even begin to list books I've read. I tend to stay in the action realm, be it SF, Fantasy, War, etc. I try to find books that have some humor, and that will simply take me away for a while without alot of effort to stay with it.

Re: War/Spy stuff
    I've read everything from Ludlum and Clancy, in fact I just finished Sigma Protocol from Ludlum. I also enjoyed the work of W.E.B. Griffin, who did a series of books each on the Marines (The Corps), the Army (Brotherhood of War), and the Philly PD (Badge of Honor). He also has one on the O.S.S., haven't gotten to all of them. David Poyer has some modern Navy stuff out that's good. There's some flying Vietnam War era stuff by Berents (I think) that was good, too. There are two or three others I just can't think of right now. Dale Brown, I think.

Re: SciFi
    I've read every Star Wars book out, except I haven't gotten to AOTC and the book recently released (Approaching Storm, maybe?) that takes place immediately preceding it. I actually have it at home, going to start it this week. I also saw two or three paperbacks in the New Jedi Order series I need to get to, Dark Journey and two others that are a I and II of something. Can't wait to sink my teeth into those. I've read through David Webber's Honor Harrington series, I liked it. Nothing too complicated, was a nice read.

Re: Fantasy

I'm probably into the thousands on books read, or close to it. Obviously, the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy stand tall. I also think very highly of Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, they helped get me into the whole genre. There is an author, maybe CS Friedman or something like that, that has 3 or 4 great books about a vampire, one of them is something like When True Night Falls, or something, but they were good. Damn, I can't even keep track anymore.

Started the Goodkind and Robert Jordan series, liked them, but couldn't follow them. By the time a new book would come out, I'd forget what happened in the last one. Just got to be too cumbersome to keep up. Something to look forward to when I retire in 30 years or so That is actually a problem I have, that I read a book, and get so into it, then I have to wait a year for the next one. Can't do it anymore. Some other great authors, Eddings, Feist, Brooks, Kerr, Salvatore, Weis and Hickman, Greenwood, Niles, etc. Tad something has a great trilogy, the only one I can remember is the Dragonbone Chair. My memory is slipping, man. I'm sure there are dozens of others I've read repeatedly, just drawing a blank right now.

My tried and true absolutes are Ludlum, Clancy, Eddings, and anything Star Wars. Feist (Krondor), Salvatore (he is phenomenal, and very versatile, from Star Wars to the Dark Elf series), and Weis and Hickman (either Dragonlance or the SF series they did, I skipped the Deathgate series) are almost automatic as well. The others I listed are more hit than miss, but not necessarily "automatic" to me.

Sorry for the length of the post, I read a ton at times. I haven't read as much lately, no time, but when I do, I usually crank through a book in a couple of days.

The Stand is a GREAT, GREAT book. I've read it a couple of times.

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Damn, I.E.D., you've got an incredible reading inventory! (I read the Mary Stewart books you recommended to me before and they were great!) Check your PM for some cool news!