Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't believe the hype about Iraq's nonexistant wmd's. Bush v2.0 and co. are stretching the truth and covering up facts to win support for their thirst for war. Don't fall for their hypocritical sob stories on Iraq's domestic human rights abuses, when the US (including Bush v1.0) had their dirty little hands involved.

Here's an article from the Sunday Herald. Their sources are reputable:

How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them

By Neil Mackay and Felicity Arbuthnot

THE US and Britain sold Saddam Hussein the technology and materials Iraq needed to develop nuclear, chemical and biological wea pons of mass destruction.
    Reports by the US Senate's committee on banking, housing and urban affairs -- which oversees American exports policy -- reveal that the US, under the successive administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush Snr, sold materials including anthrax, VX nerve gas, West Nile fever germs and botulism to Iraq right up until March 1992, as well as germs similar to tuberculosis and pneumonia. Other bacteria sold included brucella melitensis, which damages major organs, and clostridium perfringens, which causes gas gangrene.

Classified US Defence Dep-artment documents also seen by the Sunday Herald show that Britain sold Iraq the drug pralidoxine, an antidote to nerve gas, in March 1992, after the end of the Gulf war. Pralidoxine can be reverse engineered to create nerve gas.

The Senate committee's rep orts on 'US Chemical and Biological Warfare-Related Dual-Use Exports to Iraq', undertaken in 1992 in the wake of the Gulf war, give the date and destination of all US exports. The reports show, for example, that on May 2, 1986, two batches of bacillus anthracis -- the micro-organism that causes anthrax -- were shipped to the Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education, along with two batches of the bacterium clostridium botulinum, the agent that causes deadly botulism poisoning.

One batch each of salmonella and E coli were shipped to the Iraqi State Company for Drug Industries on August 31, 1987. Other shipments went from the US to the Iraq Atomic Energy Commission on July 11, 1988; the Department of Biology at the University of Basrah in November 1989; the Department of Microbiology at Baghdad University in June 1985; the Ministry of Health in April 1985 and Officers' City, a military complex in Baghdad, in March and April 1986.

The shipments to Iraq went on even after Saddam Hussein ordered the gassing of the Kurdish town of Halabja, in which at least 5000 men, women and children died. The atrocity, which shocked the world, took place in March 1988, but a month later the components and materials of weapons of mass destruction were continuing to arrive in Baghdad from the US.

The Senate report also makes clear that: 'The United States provided the government of Iraq with 'dual use' licensed materials which assisted in the development of Iraqi chemical, biological and missile-system programmes.'

This assistance, according to the report, included 'chemical warfare-agent precursors, chem ical warfare-agent production facility plans and technical drawings, chemical warfare filling equipment, biological warfare-related materials, missile fabrication equipment and missile system guidance equipment'.

Donald Riegle, then chairman of the committee, said: 'UN inspectors had identified many United States manufactured items that had been exported from the United States to Iraq under licences issued by the Department of Commerce, and [established] that these items were used to further Iraq's chemical and nuclear weapons development and its missile delivery system development programmes.'

Riegle added that, between January 1985 and August 1990, the 'executive branch of our government approved 771 different export licences for sale of dual-use technology to Iraq. I think that is a devastating record'.

It is thought the information contained in the Senate committee reports is likely to make up much of the 'evidence of proof' that Bush and Blair will reveal in the coming days to justify the US and Britain going to war with Iraq. It is unlikely, however, that the two leaders will admit it was the Western powers that armed Saddam with these weapons of mass destruction.

However, Bush and Blair will also have to prove that Saddam still has chemical, biological and nuclear capabilities. This looks like a difficult case to clinch in view of the fact that Scott Ritter, the UN's former chief weapons inspector in Iraq, says the United Nations des troyed most of Iraq's wea pons of mass destruction and doubts that Saddam could have rebuilt his stocks by now.

According to Ritter, between 90% and 95% of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction were des troyed by the UN. He believes the remainder were probably used or destroyed during 'the ravages of the Gulf War'.

Ritter has described himself as a 'card-carrying Republican' who voted for George W Bush. Nevertheless, he has called the president a 'liar' over his claims that Saddam Hussein is a threat to America.

Ritter has also alleged that the manufacture of chemical and biological weapons emits certain gases, which would have been detected by satellite. 'We have seen none of this,' he insists. 'If Iraq was producing weapons today, we would have definitive proof.'

He also dismisses claims that Iraq may have a nuclear weapons capacity or be on the verge of attaining one, saying that gamma-particle atomic radiation from the radioactive materials in the warheads would also have been detected by western surveillance.

The UN's former co-ordinator in Iraq and former UN under-secretary general, Count Hans von Sponeck, has also told the Sunday Herald that he believes the West is lying about Iraq's weapons programme.

Von Sponeck visited the Al-Dora and Faluja factories near Baghdad in 1999 after they were 'comprehensively trashed' on the orders of UN inspectors, on the grounds that they were suspected of being chemical weapons plants. He returned to the site late in July this year, with a German TV crew, and said both plants were still wrecked.

'We filmed the evidence of the dishonesty of the claims that they were producing chemical and biological weapons,' von Sponeck has told the Sunday Herald. 'They are indeed in the same destroyed state which we witnessed in 1999. There was no trace of any resumed activity at all.'

link to this article: http://www.sundayherald.com/27572

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    Don't believe the hype about Iraq's nonexistant wmd's.[/URL]
    After which this genius goes on to tell us that the US gave them WMD, but that someone is pretty sure the UN and the Gulf War got most of them. They're non-existant.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The whole situation is fucking disgusting. I can't stand George W.; I wish he'd died while choking on that pretzel. IMO, he's a disgrace to the United States, and an insult to all other countries around the world. They had a really striking documentary a few days ago on some of the crippling effects that the sanctions have had on Iraq, such as skyrocketing cancer rates and horrible birth defects like babies being born without brains or just one eye. It's fucking sick, and largely to blame on horrible North American White Racist Assholes who wage war on third-world countries for a past-time.

The whole gross political situation makes me want to leave North America. Seriously.

[ December 19, 2002, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: BAM5150 ]
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Damn, I didn't know Sadam was reverse engineering ant venom! Iraq should have held Sean Penn hostage. One Tomahawk coming up
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by strungout:
    Don't believe the hype about Iraq's nonexistant wmd's.[/URL]
    After which this genius goes on to tell us that the US gave them WMD, but that someone is pretty sure the UN and the Gulf War got most of them. They're non-existant. </font>[/QUOTE]Mike L., have you ever acknowledged sales of arms by the US government to countries in the Middle East, even once? Until you do, your insight is as worthless as your opinions.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BAM5150:
    The whole situation is fucking disgusting. I can't stand George W.; I wish he'd died while choking on that pretzel. IMO, he's a disgrace to the United States, and an insult to all other countries around the world. They had a really striking documentary a few days ago on some of the crippling effects that the sanctions have had on Iraq, such as skyrocketing cancer rates and horrible birth defects like babies being born without brains or just one eye. It's fucking sick, and largely to blame on horrible North American White Racist Assholes who wage war on third-world countries for a past-time.

The whole gross political situation makes me want to leave North America. Seriously.
    Now that's an intelligent and productive way to voice your opinion. Make sure you bring a lifetime supply of Midol on your way out of North America.

BTW, the reason these kids are suffering is because of Saddam Hussein. After all, he's still rolling in the money he gets from illegal oil sales but doesn't use any of it to care for his own people (the same ones he tortures and kills on a regular basis). He only uses the money to enrich himself (or perhaps even build WMDs). Plus, the sanctions you are railing about happened because Saddam brought death, destruction and suffering to the Kuwaiti people by invading their nation without just cause. But it apparently only matters to you if it's the Iraqi people suffering, right?!?
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Mike L., have you ever acknowledged sales of arms by the US government to countries in the Middle East, even once? Until you do, your insight is as worthless as your opinions.
    How clever. Not only have I acknowledged US arms sales, but I'm likely to be far more knowledgeable about them than you are. You and Strungout share this fantasy of the US being the world's oppressor, providing arms to evil entities around to world in order for them to do our sinister bidding. Somehow you expect me to indulge you in your fantasy?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not only have I acknowledged US arms sales, but I'm likely to be far more knowledgeable about them than you are.
    I firmly believe that people working for and within the US government have good intentions.
    Interesting, I see a fairly obvious contradiction in these two statements. Perhaps you can share with the class how the US government is demonstrating their good intentions by selling weapons to unstable regimes within a region globally acknowledged as a potential flashpoint?
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    Now that's an intelligent and productive way to voice your opinion. Make sure you bring a lifetime supply of Midol on your way out of North America.

BTW, the reason these kids are suffering is because of Saddam Hussein. After all, he's still rolling in the money he gets from illegal oil sales but doesn't use any of it to care for his own people (the same ones he tortures and kills on a regular basis). He only uses the money to enrich himself (or perhaps even build WMDs). Plus, the sanctions you are railing about happened because Saddam brought death, destruction and suffering to the Kuwaiti people by invading their nation without just cause. But it apparently only matters to you if it's the Iraqi people suffering, right?!?
    [/QUOTE]

I apologise for screwing up in quoting him there.

If by "intelligent and productive" you mean un-American, then I suppose you may be correct. And besides, I'll be stuckin North America for awhile, seeing as how incompetent our governments have been in letting the price of education go through the roof. Probably won't have the cash to move for a bit.

It's great that the average American citizen is so knowledgeable about Saddam and the middle east While it's true that Saddam is responsible for much of the misery plaguing his country, we're not exactly helping the cause by lobbing bombs at the civilian population and enforcing economic sanctions on an already-crippled country. It's stupid, and an utter waste of life. If they really that concerned witht he sole idea of killing off Saddam, he'd be dead and gone by now. This is a war for oil. I can't believe that so much of the population has been brainwashed into believing this patriotic bullshit that Bush is pushing.

With each day, it seems more and more like we have no choice but to wait around for Dubya and the rest of his generation to grow old and die before we can see any positive change. Very depressing.

That being said, I think I'll go read the literary magnum opus that is "Stupid White Men". [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: BAM5150 ]
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Originally posted by BAM5150:

Now thats the most sensible post you have ever pecked. Be sure and take the hollywood walk of shame pussys with you.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Strungout,

It would appear we have a moment while 'Dumb and Dumber' gather their collective thought (singular). Finding a way to justify arms sales as good intentions seems to have given young Mikey some difficulty.

Noticed the Pearl Jam lyrics in your sig. line. Love both those tunes. What do you think of Present Tense? Always thought that was one of Vedder's best.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by weesfreewheelin:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BAM5150:

Now thats the most sensible post you have ever pecked. Be sure and take the hollywood walk of shame pussys with you.</font>[/QUOTE]Whereas you have nothing of substance to contribute. Please go away. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Hi Strungout,

It would appear we have a moment while 'Dumb and Dumber' gather their collective thought (singular). Finding a way to justify arms sales as good intentions seems to have given young Mikey some difficulty.

Noticed the Pearl Jam lyrics in your sig. line. Love both those tunes. What do you think of Present Tense? Always thought that was one of Vedder's best.
    Present Tense is decent. I must admit I haven't gotten into that song much yet, but I'll have to give it another chance. How about 'Sleight of Hand'? That's been growing on me. After Vedder and the band read 'Ishmael', before recording 'Yield', their whole focus changed, and it changed their lives. Much the way it does to everyone who reads this amazing novel. I associate 'Sleight of Hand' and 'Given to Fly' as being about the moment of awakening or enlightenment Ed may have felt. 'Given to Fly' is probably my favorite song, I can really identify with the lyrics. He wants to share the key to the locks on the chains everywhere, but 'faceless' men try to bring him down. Well, the fuckers, he's still here.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by weesfreewheelin:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BAM5150:

Now thats the most sensible post you have ever pecked. Be sure and take the hollywood walk of shame pussys with you.</font>[/QUOTE]Whereas you have nothing of substance to contribute. Please go away. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]strungout, I don't see a whole lot of substance in what you are posting...lots of baseless propaganda, but little substance...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...