Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Top Timmy, our faithful proprietor, has once again given me the honor of opening the latest installment of the greatest thread in storied history of VHLinks; the legendary AD.

For a while I've been thinking about just how to quantify the significance of AD for those that are new to the bar. What better place to start from than the beginning?

Back on June 26, 2000, Top Timmy started a thread. (Here's a little VHLinks nugget of knowledge for you - It wasn't titled "The Atomic Drunks!!") It was titled something along the lines of, "I Think I Speak For Everyone When I Say..." When you entered the thread, he finished the sentence, "Where's the beer? What a long ass day."

And AD was born. (The name of the thread was changed to "The Atomic Drunks!!" after a while. We knew we had something good cooking, and wanted it to stand out from the rest of the threads.)

See, back on June 26, 2000, the links were in a state of disarray because we had been awaiting the "official" website's overhaul. All we knew beforehand was that the site was going under some changes. You can imagine what we all thought "changes" implied. News. Ha. Back then we really thought something might be said. Ah, we were so young... LOL.

As usual, I hadn't been on that day. But when I showed up that night, a real bad vibe was present. The night before, everyone was up and giddy, looking forward to the news, ANY kind that would be on the "official" site after the revamp. But when I went to the Main, it was a mess with angry threads about the "official" site's revamping. The difference in mood on the links was night and day.

While the site looked better than it had previously, there wasn't any more news than there had been before - Although Brad didn't feel the need to let anyone in on this. He pimped the VH web community into believing there might be something new, just to get attention. Well, he got it.

But he also left a pretty bad taste in peoples mouths...

Because of the expectation that the "official" website's overhaul would contain some news about the band, followed by the realization there was nothing, people were seriously let down.

Some said that the band must be finished. Others tried to take things in stride and said that the continuing wait would be worth it. But the vast majority were confused and disheartened.

Add to this the fact that a former poster incorrectly entered his password while trying to post. When the links didn't accept his incorrect password, he blew his stack and registered under a different username. He posted a thread in the Main Discussion forum titled, "Fuck Brett" where he railed against being banned - When it was his own fault he couldn't post.

Immediately people started showing up in the thread both to defend Brett and to figure out just who this new guy was. When the poster revealed himself people were shocked and angry. A lot of testosterone-filled posts flew back and forth between he and everyone else. It was a bad scene all around.

It is still the most depressing night I can remember on the links.

I took part in the aforementioned thread and was pissed, tired, and saddened by everyone's disappointment. I left the Main and was about to log off, but before I did I took a quick look at the other forums. Almost every one had at least one thread about what didn't happen at the "official" site. It was a pretty big deal.

My last stop was Non-Music. I saw, "I Think I Speak For Everyone When I Say..."

"What an interesting name for a thread," I thought and clicked on it. I laughed out loud when I saw the epic question posed, "Where's the beer?"

Top Timmy summed up VHLinks collective frustration and exhaustion in two sentences.

Seenbad responded, then Rat Salad, then myself, then Rick S, then track 5... And down the line it went. At least one thread was hopeful, that night. Through the jokes, everybody sensed that something special and different was being born in the midst of a lot of pessimism.

On the second page, t 5 summed up the essence of AD better than anyone has yet. He said, "I think we found a thread were we can all hang. No slamming no real anything at all. It will probably not end up like this, but enjoy while we can. See ya'll tomorrow. Out."

That's how I've felt about this place since then. We've dealt with a lot of things in AD from brother Jeff5150's heart attack to the suicide that Dimoncutr unfortunately discovered, this has been a place where you know people will listen to you and lend you a shoulder if need be, along with a joke or two. Or 18.

Form Seen's inflatable palm trees, to Jeff's "Boobie Shot," to Wolf's AD flag, to Rat's VH Ale, to DG's funnel, to conmee's spliffs, to houseofpain's spittoon, to t 5's "Twinkie Master" skills, to Unchained Wolfie's underage drinking, to Lead Synth's designated driving, to @gent's smileys, to Joe-C (R.I.P. bro)... From the "Blair Fish Project," to Chief Halen Head break-dancing on my trusty piece of cardboard in the High Country, to the never-ending quest to make the world Beta friendly, and everything else under the sun that makes AD A-fucking-D, you guys really are the best.

I try to make it a habit not to bust a nut making long flowery posts, but when it comes to AD and all the great stories we've shared, I couldn't help it.

Every new chapter signifies both the end of the precedent and a bridge to the subsequent bar. We've seen 8 previous incarnations of AD open and close. Within these threads I've gotten to know more of you than I would have otherwise had the pleasure, and I know I'm the better for it.

So many people have come through the door you wouldn't believe it. But what separates this thread from all others is that throughout every version there has never been a single fight. Not one. There have been fights about AD, but never in it.

Rothaholics, Sammyites, Garyettes ( ) have all come in and treated one another like brothers and sisters. That says something.

The best explanation of what makes AD so great are the threads, themselves. I did a search for all of them (minus the temporary threads). Each URL takes you to a different chapter of AD. If you're new, or an original AD drunk, bookmark all of them so you can catch up whenever you're in the mood. Read them as you wish and I guarantee you'll come away with a smile.

1.) June 26, 2000 - The Atomic Drunks!!

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000195.html

2.) August 1, 2000 : "In A Drunken Rhyme"

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000408.html

3.) September 26, 2000 : Drop Dead Kegs

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000602.html

4.) October 20, 2000 : OUDrank12

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000690.html

5.) November 13, 2000 Beeruption

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000778.html

6.) Jan 1, 2001 : Apolitical Brews

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000911.html

7.) January 26, 2001 : The Full Mug

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000974.html

8.) February 23, 2001 : Black And Brew

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/001051.html

A special thanks to Top Timmy for creating the best thread ever, and for not canning my ass. LOL. Thanks also to everybody for all the good times and here's to many, many more.

It's been an honor to tend bar for you.

AD
    IADR
    DDK
    OUD12
    Beeruption
    AB
    TFM
    BAB
    and now...

RTB !!

Need I say drinks are on the house? (Not HOP. Never HOP. )

Rock on, fellow drunken bastards!

Bottoms Up!!

*gulp*

[This message has been edited by Down In Flames (edited March 16, 2001 at 09:35 PM).]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool name man. Great new thread.

So how bout selling your 1st drink in the new thread to a 15 year old VH fan. I'll have some of Sam's Tequila!!

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Come See Your Children yes their lighting up the skies, you won't recognize them anymoooore!"

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Dude, you're not 15. You've just turned 21, right? Right?

(POURS UW a shot of Cabo. )

Keep that on the hush hush. LOL.

*gulp*

------------------
    "Dude, he looks like Rumplestiltskien. Get back under the bridge mu-fugger!!" - An enlightened assessment after having viewed a photograph of Ray Daniels, provided by seenbad

Official Bartender Of VHForums

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I need a shot of Cabo and a beer. Indiana lost tonight in the first round, again. Since I graduated in 1995 they have not made it out of the first round yet, oh well there's always next year.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh yeah I forrrgoooot. I had another one of my flashbacks. BTW I'll take a Jagermeister, make that 2, screw it gimme 5!!

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Come See Your Children yes their lighting up the skies, you won't recognize them anymoooore!"

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigdogdo:
    I need a shot of Cabo and a beer. Indiana lost tonight in the first round, again. Since I graduated in 1995 they have not made it out of the first round yet, oh well there's always next year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goddamn, a bigdog sighting?

Wow it's been a long time since you were at the bar bro. Good to see you, again.

(THROWS bigdog an ice cold Corona w/lime and POURS a shot of Cabo. )

Indiana has come a long way in spite of Knight's departure. Nothing to feel bad about at all, man.

*gulp*

------------------
    "Dude, he looks like Rumplestiltskien. Get back under the bridge mu-fugger!!" - An enlightened assessment after having viewed a photograph of Ray Daniels, provided by seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Beautiful post, Down!

I'm gonna add a little color to the new place with one of my prized belongings (and it's NOT what you think)

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"And I swore to myself, I swore to myself that some day, some day...I was going to smoke joints that big." - DLR, Crazy From The Heat

Wolfman's Van Halen Shrine - http://home.earthlink.net/~theflyingwolfman

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Oh yeah I forrrgoooot. I had another one of my flashbacks. BTW I'll take a Jagermeister, make that 2, screw it gimme 5!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moderation, man!

(POURS UW a shot of Jagermeister. )

If you don't fall of the stool, you'll get a second.

*gulp*

------------------

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Beautiful post, Down! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Wolf. As I typed my post I only ran out of the room, crying like a bitch twice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I'm gonna add a little color to the new place with one of my prized belongings (and it's NOT what you think)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn! That is looking good! "I likes that, yah!"

*gulp*

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Down In Flames:
    Damn! That is looking good! "I likes that, yah!"

*gulp*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like it - we'll just hang it up on the wall next to old faithful here -

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"And I swore to myself, I swore to myself that some day, some day...I was going to smoke joints that big." - DLR, Crazy From The Heat

Wolfman's Van Halen Shrine - http://home.earthlink.net/~theflyingwolfman

[This message has been edited by Wolfman (edited March 15, 2001 at 09:01 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the welcome, good to be here again, thanks for the drinks, better get another round, still feel the sting of defeat.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ah, now it's officially an AD thread. We have our flag flying!

And bigdog, I think Indiana's head coach (his name escapes me) should definitely get a deal from the university. He's had a tough job and handled it really well.

(THROWS bigdog an ice cold Corona w/lime and POURS a shot of Cabo. )

*gulp*

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Woohoo! Downy Fresh, that was a fantastic post detailing the history of this place. Atomic Drunks...where everyone knows your screen name!

I'm in need of a College Punch (everclear diluted with red Kool-Aid, in a gigantic plastic cup.) Can you fix me up?

Wolfman: that is one great-looking guitar, baby face!

------------------
    "1989" - Maya's Van Halen Page

"Have romantic music on in the background. Whatever you do - do NOT play 'Spanked' by Van Halen." - JWS_5150

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Oh, and we mustn't forget "Temporary Bar Thread."

------------------
    "1989" - Maya's Van Halen Page

"Have romantic music on in the background. Whatever you do - do NOT play 'Spanked' by Van Halen." - JWS_5150

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    Woohoo! Downy Fresh, that was a fantastic post detailing the history of this place. Atomic Drunks...where everyone knows your screen name!

I'm in need of a College Punch (everclear diluted with red Kool-Aid, in a gigantic plastic cup.) Can you fix me up? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Lead Punchdrunk.

(POURS Lead Synth a College Punch. )

OK, now where are the keys to the AD-mobile?

*gulp*

------------------