Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

And this is the only way put it. In the pairs skating last night it was so obvious to everyone (except the judges that is) that the Canadian pair had the stronger performance and should have won the gold.

It is a shame when preconceived notions of who should win the gold influences the decisions to the point of rewarding those who should not have won.

Even though Sale and Pelletier received the silver, they truly earned the gold.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I have a feeling the Canadians will get "robbed" of the gold in mens hockey too.
    Seriously, it does seem like the judges have thier minds made up before the competition starts. I know what you mean.

Chewi
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

From Yahoo News
    You were right on my freind..............
    Skating Judges Stun NBC Announcers
    Tue Feb 12,12:33 AM ET
    By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer

NBC's Olympic figure skating announcers were thrown for a loop by the judging in the pairs competition Monday night.

The network's Scott Hamilton (news - web sites), Tom Hammond and Sandra Bezic were certain they knew who had won the gold medal.

The trio made it clear to viewers that Canada's Jamie Sale and David Pelletier had outskated Russia's Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze — and then were shocked when the gold went to the Russians by a one-judge margin.

"My heart breaks," Bezic said right before the medals ceremony, "and I'm embarrassed for our sport right now."

Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze collected seven 5.9s for artistry, barely enough for their nation's 11th straight pairs gold medal, dating to 1964.

After the Russians performed, with at least one noticeable slip-up, the Canadians went about impressing NBC's talent. Near the end of their 41/2-minute routine, Hamilton set the stage for a final key move.

"Throw triple loop, and the gold is theirs!" the 1984 men's Olympic gold medalist yelled.

After Sale landed cleanly, Bezic, a five-time Canadian national pairs champion, said: "Simply perfect. ... They did it!"

If there was any doubt in viewers' minds as to who was about to win, the announcers did their best to clear it away.

As the Canadians left the ice, Hamilton said: "There are going to be some giant, huge, high, enormous marks!"

And Bezic added: "Canada House is going to be jumping tonight!"

Only Hammond, the experienced play-by-play announcer, lent an ounce of measure, saying, "And the Russian domination, nearly four decades, perhaps ended again by Canadians."

As the Canadians' scores began to flash on the screen, Bezic was at it again: "Brilliant, brilliant skating, brilliant choreography — tender, playful, accessible and perfect."

When it was announced that the Russians had won, Hamilton was adamant that it was a mistake.

"How did that happen?" he said, adding that Sale and Pelletier "won that program, there's not a doubt for anyone in the place, expect for maybe a few judges.

"That will be debated forever."

[ February 12, 2002 at 06:45 AM: Message edited by: chewbaccamonkeylunch ]</p>
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Yeah, we were robbed! It's fixed for the Russians to win I guess, they have won the gold in every Olympics in the pairs skating since 1960.

It sucks, but what can you do? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah I watched the competition and the Canadians were clearly better. This whole judging stuff has been brought up before with figure skating but nothing seems to change. It's too bad but we all know who the real gold medalists are.

OH CANADA!!!!!!!
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Figure skating is rigged!!! Hard to be upset when you know that ahead of time.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's been common knowledge that the dance competition was rigged by block judging, that has been the case since before nagano, however this is the first time in the pairs competition.
    as i have no life right now and i'm in front of the box 24/7, i was there, and i was pissed. the looks on their faces said enough.
    apparently an NBC internet poll suggested that 95 percent of the people thought that they should have won gold.
    the ISU (international skating union) said that they would launch an investigation. but as one of the canadian announcers said, it would be like enron doing an internal audit.
    the ISU president has scheduled a press conference tomorrow regarding the situation.
    either way, when i look at jamie and david's medal, i see a gold one.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first heard I said "who cares about those queer figure skaters? screw em.." but then when I saw how hot the chick was on TV, I kinda felt bad that they got robbed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This sounds like a job for.....
    TONYA HARDING!!!! Maybe she and Jeff Gillooly can go out and bash some Russian knees.

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By Cynthia Faulkner
    ESPN.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- Sources within the International Skating Union have told ESPN/ABC Sports figure skating reporter Christine Brennan that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges helped spark the controversy that has the skating world and the Winter Olympics abuzz.

The Canadian Olympic delegation on Tuesday requested an investigation into why Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze won the gold medal when many observers feel that Canadians Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were more worthy.

Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating, says that reliable sources within the ISU told her that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges did happen.

"When (figure skating officials) investigate, I think they're going to find out that the French judge worked a deal with the Russians," said Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating.

"There's absolutely no doubt that the Canadians should have won. Their 'Love Story' program was just marvelous. The performance was perfect.

"The Russian pair made small errors including a small mistake on one jump. To me it's clear. It should have been crystal clear for the Canadians."

Brennan said she watched the tapes again and the Canadians' performance only gets better.

"I was shocked the moment I saw the scores and I'm still shocked," she said. "I ran into three international judges, all of them judging at the Olympics, within three minutes after the competition. 'This is an outrage,' they said in unison. I've never seen judges come up to a reporter -- as opposed to going away from them -- and say this is an outrage."

Until Monday, only a few diehard figure skating fans in North America knew who Sale and Pelletier were. That's all changed.

"Their agent told me he's had about a hundred calls," Brennan said. "I'm guessing they are now a household name, which never would have been if they'd won the gold medal with no controversy. I would imagine that they became millionaires in the last 24 hours. The sympathy factor is huge."

The scandal already is drawing comparisons to figure skating's most famous pair of all -- Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan. The story could grow if the United States were to get involved because it's conceivable that if Sale and Pelletier should have won gold, Americans Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman could have won bronze, Brennan said.

"This is really starting to remind me of Tonya and Nancy, but it's not there yet," Brennan said. "There's something about this that's starting to build and there's the sense that the pace with which it's starting is like it was with Tonya and Nancy. Now there's an investigation and the story has legs."

Cynthia Faulkner is the Olympics editor for ESPN.com.
    [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by chewbaccamonkeylunch:

Seriously, it does seem like the judges have thier minds made up before the competition starts.
    This has been an issue w/ figure skating since the very beginning. This is not first, nor tenth time this has happened.
    This easy street leads to <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~damngood/" target="_blank">The Damn Good Site</a>... Wanna go there?? Just point & click!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.15.08 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They definitely deserved the gold, what a fuckin' joke! It's no secret that figure skating is rigged, judges always play favorites, but blatant shit like this and what happened in Nagano is going to kill this "sport"

The Russians have to be in a bad spot right now. They both must know damn well they were outskated, and don't deserve those medals. I'd like to see those medals stripped, but I don't think the Russian skaters had anything to do with the fix, so they'll probably get to keep them.

It's bullshit!
    I used to know this guy, he played with dolls...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no, the russians didn't know. all they can do is skate. but you could totally tell on the looks of their faces that they felt uneasy about it. in all fairness though, they did deserve the silver medal. people in russia think that it was fair, and the canadian program was stale, and the scandal is just sour grapes. obviously, they're a little biased. and dumb, too.
    but yeah, i also heard that the french judge and the russian judge had a deal that the russian would vote for the french dance pair.

either way, it is a joke.

i'm also one to admit that i knew who jamie and david were before monday.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Figure skating judging is to fairness and sportsmanship what NSINK is to originality and talent...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm gonna close this one up since Canada got their Gold !!!!!

Remember, it was the referee from the U.S.A. that called that French bitch out... http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Da...isu020213.html

You Canadians owe us - We want the gold in curling! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."