Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Sapp compared this Bucs defensive unit to the Steel Curtain of the 70's at the Players Press Conference after the game.

Here's a small Steel Curtain refresher course for number 99:

From 1972 to 1980 there were no less than 4 Steeler defensive players voted to the Pro Bowl.

1975 Alone: 8 Steeler defensive players made the Pro Bowl. Lambert called the Steeler defensive line schemes because there were only 3 other players from different teams in the huddle.

4 Current Hall of Fame Defensive Players:
    Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, and Mel Blount. Two future members will/should be included are L.C. Greenwood and Donnie Shell.

1976 Defense: In the last 9 games of a 14 game schedule, the Steel Curtain allowed only 28 points with 5 shutouts. In fact the defense went 22 consecutive quarters or 5.5 games without giving up a touchdown.

A decade of winning years against the likes of non-Gannon type QB's such as Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, Bert Jones, etc.

Sapp needs to come down off his "SB High" and get with reality.

Banned!
    Last Online

07.15.07 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warren Sapp couldn't shine Ray Lewis' shoes.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

That, and the fact that the Steelers won like 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Who was it I heard this morning (perhaps it was this afternoon on "Around the Horn" on ESPN where someone said this exact thing. I think it was Jay Mariotti from Chicago). Anyway, Mariotti said "get back to me whenever TB wins 4 SB's in a row. THEN we'll talk dominant defense."

Oh well...you can't fault sheer exhuberance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by JeffHarshman:
    Warren Sapp couldn't shine Ray Lewis' shoes.
    Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp together couldn't shine Joe Greene's shoes. Mr. Linebacker #51 himself, Dick Butkus, backed down from Mr. Greene during a game in the early 70's. Need I say more?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Well, let me just say this about that...
    First of all, it's hard to compare defenses of different eras - the game is played differently now - the rules have been tweaked on both sides of the ball (i.e. it was a lot easier for an offensive lineman to get called for holding back in the '70s, but I also think the DBs of today are allowed to make a little more contact with the receivers than they were back then).
    Second, sure the Steelers won 4 Super Bowls - no denying they were a great team. But they also had a little thing called an "offense" back then - remember them - some average Joes named Terry, Franco, Lynn, John, Rocky, etc. Something Tampa Bay hasn't really had too much of until the second half of this year. Maybe if they'd had an offense before then, they'd have been to a couple more Super Bowls by now. Maybe not.
    Lastly - personally, I think the Bears defense of 1985 stomped ass over anyone else I've seen in my lifetime, but I guess 1 ass-stomping season can be over ruled by many just plain ass-kicking seasons...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Of all the QBs Contrails lists in his post, none of them ever passed for 4800 yds in a 16 game season (or a comparable 4200 yards in a 14 game season).

...not that I'm defending a supposed "greatness" in Gannon, but the Bucs did beat a QB with a better season than anyone ct lists...

[img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

"...feel your hatred, young Jedi..."

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Gannon is not The Real Deal, therealdeal. I don't care how much yardage he passed for this year. He's been an average QB his whole career up until the past two years. I'm not saying he didn't have a great year, but there wasn't one dominating defense he faced this year in the AFC, until he met the Bucs.

In addition, the Raiders non-existent running game was the reason that he had to throw all season. Dan Marino has years of experience in that department. Look how many championships that got him? [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

With all due respect to Rich Gannon, the QB's I listed in my previous post had great careers with Hall of Fame credentials. They also had a great history of coming from behind to win ball games. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

If Warren Sapp really believes that the Bucs defense is anything comparable to the Steel Curtain, then there's more to that victory cigar he's smoking than tobacco. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Contrails ]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Regarding Florida's own Secret Agent 007's comment about the game being played differently back in the 70's. You are exactly 100% correct. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

The game was played differently where the receiver could be hit by the defensive back beyond 5 yards of the line of scrimmage without a penalty. That made it even harder for the likes of the QB's I mentioned to get the ball to the receiver. No wonder you didn't have QB's back then throwing for over 4000 yards in a season. The QB's, when in the pocket, [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] took hits like all players on the field without the defensive players getting penalized, AS IT SHOULD BE.

The NFL in the late 70's due to the Steel Curtain's dominance, had to make a rule change to sell more tickets and enhance viewership. The old addage, offense sells tickets, defense wins championships is very true. That's why those pussy rules were enacted in the early 80's because of the likes of Blount, Lambert and Greene pounding players into submission. Ask any Cleveland player from that era, especially QB Brian Sipe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warren Sapp turning into the most hated player in the league...exxxcellent. That dude shouldn't be allowed to speak.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Originally posted by Aquatic Punk:
    Warren Sapp turning into the most hated player in the league...exxxcellent. That dude shouldn't be allowed to speak.
    Well, as long as there're guys like Randy Moss & Terrell Owens around (among others) he shouldn't be at the top of the heap yet (someone should put a poll together that can think of enough current players). While Warren Sapp does rule, I agree he should shut his mouth sometimes.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Warren Sapp didn't get that great of an education because he was too busy smoking dope at the University of Miami.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Contrails:

With all due respect to Rich Gannon, the QB's I listed in my previous post had great careers with Hall of Fame credentials. They also had a great history of coming from behind to win ball games. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Bert Jones? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

You're comparing apples and oranges. Defensive schemes nowadays are way more complex than they were in the 70's: zone blitzes, man/zone combo coverages, etc., and the players are much bigger and faster.

How can you diss Gannon cos he's only had 2 great seasons (in your estimation), while including Jones who never won anything worth mentioning in his career?? I guess Gannon taking them to the AFC Championship 3 seasons ago doesn't count.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Contrails:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Defensive schemes nowadays are way more complex than they were in the 70's: zone blitzes, man/zone combo coverages, etc., and the players are much bigger and faster.

How can you diss Gannon cos he's only had 2 great seasons (in your estimation), while including Jones who never won anything worth mentioning in his career?? I guess Gannon taking them to the AFC Championship 3 seasons ago doesn't count.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry to include Jones it should of been Bob
    Griese. Does that satisfy you? Don't give me this apples to oranges horseshit about defensive schemes? Mel Blount ran a 4.4 forty in his prime and was 6'3 220 lbs for a cornerback. Ham and Lambert were two of the best cover linebackers ever in the league as well as on the pass rush. Gannon is an average QB. His career has just about passed him by when he was on the bench. I rate him as equal to the Greatest QB in Cowboy history = Neil O'Donnell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Bert Jones was great in his day. He was one of my idols on the field when I was a kid. I actually saw The Colts play Tampa Bay at Memorial Stadium when I was a kid. Doug Williams was Tampa's QB. Had it not been for Bert's early shoulder injuries he would definately be in The Hall Of Fame IMHO. He, like Gannon was also an NFL MVP in 1976. And who can forget the AFC Championship with Baltimore against Oakland? That was considered to be one of the greatest NFL games in history by many. Bert Jones was awesome back in the day.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen