Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Apparently it looks like North Korea can now strike as far as the Western US coast with a nuclear missile.

North Korea missile capable of reaching West Coast
    By JOHN J. LUMPKIN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON North Korea has an untested ballistic missile capable of reaching the western United States, top U.S. intelligence officials told Congress on Wednesday. In Vienna, the U.N. nuclear agency declared North Korea in violation for its nuclear program and reported the country to the Security Council.

The U.N. move could lead to punishing sanctions, which North Korea has said it would consider an act of war.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei said his agency would continue to press for a peaceful solution, but he said months of intransigence by North Korea's communist regime had left the U.N. nuclear watchdog no choice.

"The current situation sets a dangerous precedent," ElBaradei said. He said North Korea was only a "month or two" from producing "a significant amount of plutonium" that could used to make weapons, now that IAEA inspectors no longer controlled the country's nuclear programs.

In Washington, U.S. intelligence officials told Congress that North Korea has a ballistic missile capable of hitting the western United States and possibly targets farther inland.

The weapon is an untested, three-stage version of its Taepo Dong 2 missile, Vice Adm. Lowell Jacoby, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told reporters. CIA Director George J. Tenet, who joined Jacoby before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday, acknowledged that North Korea has a missile that can at least reach the West Coast.

Their statements seemed to be the strongest from U.S. officials saying that Pyongyang can strike the United States with a long-range nuclear missile launched from the interior of North Korea.

However, U.S. intelligence officials said later North Korea has demonstrated no new missile capabilities in the last year. The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Tenet and Jacoby's statements were based on the same information that led U.S. intelligence to conclude a few years ago that North Korea was close to being able to flight-test a three-stage Taepo Dong 2.

Without flight-testing, the reliability of such a missile fired in anger is questionable. For several years, North Korea has held to a voluntary moratorium on flight tests of its long-range missiles, although American officials say the country may renew them at any time.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer sought to play down the statements, saying they reflected old intelligence. He said, "This old news is why it's important to proceed with deployment of missile defense and also why the president is focused on multilateral diplomatic talks to deal with North Korea."

Some Democratic senators, however, criticized the Bush administration's handling of the North Korean standoff.

"It seems to me that's a threat that's as imminent, or perhaps more so, directly to the United States than is Iraq," said Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va.

Tenet also told the senators that "it's a very good judgment" that North Korea has already built one or two nuclear weapons.

At issue in the current standoff is North Korea's ability to make more. It has taken steps to restart its plutonium-production line at a mothballed reactor, and U.S. intelligence officials say it is also pursuing a uranium-enrichment program that would allow for additional nuclear weapons. It also expelled U.N. inspectors who were monitoring the shut-down reactor.

In its resolution that sent the standoff to the Security Council, the IAEA's 35-nation board of governors said North Korea had not met its obligations under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and other accords.

Because the North has expelled U.N. inspectors, the agency "remains unable to verify that there has been no diversion of nuclear material" for weapons use, it said
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Note to North Korea:

If you need U.C. Berkeley's grid location feel free to fax me.

[ February 13, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

What this all means is that unless the US moves very, very quickly it will have accepted the reality of a North Korea armed with an as of yet untested ICBM. That's the same North Korea that has threatened a premptive strike against us. This is just peachy.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Thats a good onion article. Funny.

N. Korea has had that capability since 2001 at least. As mentioned, its not tested. Their two stage missles have been and those could hit alaska or hawaii. They had one failed test of the three stage rocket that failed. As it stands right at this moment, I doubt they could hit a west coast city. If they do another test, I'd say we need to QUICKLY re-asess our priorities to that region. That guys a fuckin nutjob. China needs to step up immediately. They should be held accountable in that sphere. If they don't do something, we should raise tarriffs about a billion percent so they stop getting rich off of us in trade while letting N. Korea run amuck like the psychophant rogue nation that it is.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I wish China were held accountable in their "sphere of influence" but they are probably more than happy to have us tied up with someone else over there. Wouldn't surprise me to see them try to intimidate Tiwan once GW2 starts. Sure, maybe we can handle two rouge states but damn, China, Korea and Iraq at the same time???????
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SB- don't say that to MikeL...he totally disagrees. He and I were into it over this on another thread and I totally agree with you. China should be more active in this problem. Closing our markets to the Chi-coms should provide the motivation needed.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Funny shit GS

I can see the message from Bush to Kim Jong Il now, "don't worry, we'll take care of your sorry ass right after we take off Saddam's head & put it on a spike!!!"
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

swage, it most certainly wouldn't be the first time Mike and I disagreed on policy theories. lol. Interestingly enough though, we find ourselves agreeing on one out of ten or so issues these days. ...didn't used to be so. I don't know what mikes thoughts are on this, but I'd like to read them. He is usually my "other side of the coin" view on (some) things, even though I'm never wrong. At any rate, even though we disagree often, I'll value his opinion because I know its usually based on real information that he formulates his thinking, he thinks it through and is able to articulate it. Sometimes we disagree on the end result of that thinking, but generally because our conclusions and theories on things are rooted in different perspectives. Facts are easy to agree on. Projected conclusions get a little muddier and are subject to much more varience dependent upon perspective.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Does anybody really believe that China wants North Korea armed with long range rockets, let alone nuclear bombs? All that does is give the North Koreans leverage. I think what China most wants right now are stable trading relationships, so they can continue building their industrial base and training more workers. China has no more pull than we do when dealing with the North.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

They're probably doing all this for show, basically blackmailing America to get something out of it.
    Any belief that they'll actually launch a bomb is nonsense, because then they wouldn't have any cards to play anymore, and would be in serious trouble.
    Also I don't think they would target LA where so many Koreans and Korean-Americans live.

They're obviously taking advantage of the world's focus on Iraq to reach a position of strentgh where they'll negotiate from.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We should call our new ABM "The Zipper".

The headline would read "Dong caught by zipper".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Little Dreamer:
    They're probably doing all this for show, basically blackmailing America to get something out of it.
    Any belief that they'll actually launch a bomb is nonsense, because then they wouldn't have any cards to play anymore, and would be in serious trouble.
    Also I don't think they would target LA where so many Koreans and Korean-Americans live.

They're obviously taking advantage of the world's focus on Iraq to reach a position of strentgh where they'll negotiate from.
    The guy is more than happy to imprison, torture, starve and kill people in his own counrty. What makes you think he could give a shit about them here?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's called the "Dong" missle.

Can Bush contain the Dong?
    Can the missle defense system lick the Dong?
    Can the U.N. get a handle on the Dong?
    Will North Korea release the Dong prematurely?
    Can they even get the Dong up?
    Live by the Dong, die by the Dong.

Maybe they're thinking with their Dong.
    An attack on the west coast of the US would be a serious penatration of our back door by the Dong.

The Dong could reach San Francisco.

Man, the last thing I'd want to see is a North Korean Dong coming at me.

My Blog:

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

OK!!!!! even though i am american, i am very against all this CNN news stuff and what not.

i mean if north korea has a nuke with the capability to hit the US (like everyone has stated in the media), shouldnt we be worried for other countries sake? i meanif it can go as far as hitting the US, north korea can pretty much hit anywhere they want. this hasnt really been stated in the news. ONLY the US. i mean what about europe or canada? fuck CNN guys!