Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Okay, we have this dog, he's a pain-in-the-ass Yorkie/Silky mix named "Boomer" (but we love him anyway) - he's a little over a year old. Anyway, the people that have his sister, are looking to get rid of her because I guess they're never home, and we might take her (are we nuts)? Her current name is "Phoebe" - but do you think it's acceptable to give her a new name if we take her for keeps - not sure what we'd name her, but I don't about "Phoebe".

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO- It depends on how used to the name the dog is. If they were never around the dog, maybe it isnt used to Phoebe, but if it is, I'd keep it.
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

You know, when my wife's Mom died 2 years ago her dog Barbie was left in the house with my wife's youngest brother (who is an adult). He basically ignored the dog, then whined and complained that the dog was too much bother, even though he promised his dying mother he'd look after the animal. So one of my wife's older brothers took the dog, but then CLAIMED (don't get me started)that their youngest child was allergic to it. We would have taken the dog ourselves, but we live in an apartment so it wasn't possible. Anyway, my wife was devastated because she felt the dog was a part of her mother, and now her idiot brothers were talking about taking this dog (which their mother had had for a couple of years) to the pound and dropping it off.

Fortunately, my parents, who had just retired, offered to take the dog, and now that's where she is. She's happy as can be, but it's been a tough adjustment in ways; the animal was moved around enough that she's a little wacky in the head.

So what I'm trying to say here is (if you've actually read this far), you have to keep the amount of change to a minimum for this dog. I would strongly suggest keeping the name the dog already has.

Funny enough though, my parents also have an older dog, which they got because my brother bought him, then didn't have the time to take care of him.

So let me leave you with 2 thoughts

1. ALL brothers are assholes!!!

2. If you don't want your dog, call my parents!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    You know, when my wife's Mom died 2 years ago her dog Barbie was left in the house with my wife's youngest brother (who is an adult). He basically ignored the dog, then whined and complained that the dog was too much bother, even though he promised his dying mother he'd look after the animal. So one of my wife's older brothers took the dog, but then CLAIMED (don't get me started)that their youngest child was allergic to it. We would have taken the dog ourselves, but we live in an apartment so it wasn't possible. Anyway, my wife was devastated because she felt the dog was a part of her mother, and now her idiot brothers were talking about taking this dog (which their mother had had for a couple of years) to the pound and dropping it off.

Fortunately, my parents, who had just retired, offered to take the dog, and now that's where she is. She's happy as can be, but it's been a tough adjustment in ways; the animal was moved around enough that she's a little wacky in the head.

So what I'm trying to say here is (if you've actually read this far), you have to keep the amount of change to a minimum for this dog. I would strongly suggest keeping the name the dog already has.

Funny enough though, my parents also have an older dog, which they got because my brother bought him, then didn't have the time to take care of him.

Great Post Glenn...
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

My gal and I are also suckers for animals. They don't ask for all that much-a little food, a little attention and then they return all that back with undying love. I'm with Glenn in thinking that you should probably keep the name. Just makes things easier for her.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had a few friends that have actually done this (adopted an already-named dog) and I gave them the same idea that I will tell you:

If you rename the dog, make it phonetically the same as the current name. For example, one friend had a Doberman that was named "Dobie." Well, that was stupid, so they chose "Goldie, as it was a golden-brown Doberman” (incidentally, he was also a dental technician and he capped the dog’s K9’s with gold caps and engraved the name “Goldie” in the caps. When that dog bared it’s teeth, it was truly intimidating).

If you really want to name it something of your choosing, try to pick something that won’t confuse the dog and is phonetically like “Phoebe.”

Perhaps “Pee pee? (it may even fit the dog’s behavior)”

OK…sorry, but I had to say it.

Or perhaps my favorite expression, “Do Me.” That way if the dog runs in the middle of a biker gang, you would have to yell, “HEY…DO ME…OVER HERE!”
    [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

OK...I will go now...but I think that you get my point...

[ March 14, 2002 at 12:29 PM: Message edited by: tripoutski ]</p>

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hmmm...

"Crack whore" just doesn't have the same ring to it that it did when I first hit the reply button... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Glenn:

Great Post Glenn...</font>[/QUOTE]i second that
    I say., name the dog............................................... .................hmmmmmmmmmm..................Beav is

[ March 14, 2002 at 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Aquatic Punk ]</p>
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters