Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Vikings tackle Stringer dies from heat stroke
    Associated Press
    August 1, 7:57 AM ET

MANKATO, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings tackle Korey Stringer, who fell ill after driving himself through a practice on the hottest day of the year, died Wednesday morning of complications from heat stroke.

Stringer, 27, threw up at least three times during Tuesday morning's practice but didn't summon a trainer until the session had ended. At Immanuel St. Joseph's-Mayo Health System hospital, Stringer's body temperature was more than 108 degrees, and his organs failed throughout the day before he died at 1:50 a.m., according to a statement from the Vikings.
    The only other NFL training camp fatality is believed to be J.V. Cain, a tight end for the St. Louis Cardinals, who died of a heart attack on July 22, 1979, his 28th birthday.
    The Vikings worked out in full pads Tuesday, the second day of training camp, despite temperatures in the low 90s and stifling humidity that pushed the heat index as high as 110 degrees.
    Players, coaches and team officials kept a vigil into the night for Stringer, one of the most popular players on the team. Team trainer Chuck Barta, offensive line coach Mike Tice and medical services coordinator Fred Zamberletti were there for much of the day and evening. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and receivers Randy Moss and Cris Carter and the entire offensive line also went to the hospital.

Stringer had struggled with weight problems early in his career before slimming down and having a breakout Pro Bowl season last year. He reported to camp at 335 pounds and said he was in the best shape of his career, but also was in difficulty on Monday, the first day of camp, when he was taken off the practice field on a cart.
    Picked by the Vikings in the first round of the 1995 draft, Stringer started every game at right tackle the past two seasons.

Stringer was popular with fans, too. He lived in the Twin Cities year-round and had established community service programs at local schools and with the St. Paul public library.

Fans who gathered at the Vikings' camp as early as 6 a.m. Wednesday were stunned to hear of Stringer's death. "I bought a picture of him to get signed," said Scott Westphal, 17, who drove up from northwest Iowa with friends to watch camp. "I wouldn't be able to ask for any autographs now. It's just not right."

Stringer played at Ohio State. Steven Arnold, an assistant coach at Warren Harding High School in northeast Ohio when Stringer led the team to a Division I state championship, on Wednesday recalled Stringer as generous and approachable.
    Last week, Arnold said, he chatted with Stringer in Warren about the equipment needs of a local youth football team. "He went to his truck and said, `Here.' He endorsed his Pro Bowl check."

"He was a gentle heart, very approachable," Arnold said.

Bogus! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    This is terrible news for the Stringer family, the Minnesota Vikings and the NFL.

He will be missed on and off the field.

Thoughts and prayers are with his wife and 3 year old child.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That sucks. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] I hope it doesn't happen again to anyone else. He'll definitely be missed.

[ August 01, 2001 at 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

These are the times all sports should have a global universal set of rules and conditions. If lightning and tornados or whatever can put something to a delay, then so should heat. When you have long practices and doubles, with pads, in that kinda heat, considering these are big men, you have to take these into consideration.

This is the fault of the Vikings, and the NFL. Just careless.... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimPabs1:
    This is the fault of the Vikings, and the NFL. Just careless.... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I partially agree with you but I think if a player is vomiting and breathing rapidly he should know that he has to stop. Trying to play through that in full pads on a hot day is a bad move.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree with you there. But still, athletes force themselves through the pain. Swimmers puke in the pool all the time from the exhaustion. When you get so winded and tired, you throw up. Maybe he thought he was just out of shape. "Best shape of my career" I wouldn't consider 340 pounds.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is very sad news!
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Another thing. This is pre-season. If you don't perform, you get cut. They have to work their asses off. If you sit out, it hurts you. Obviously in this sad case, it's a double-edged sword. It's a shame.

[ August 01, 2001 at 09:16 AM: Message edited by: TimPabs1 ]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a passionate Packer fan, the Vikings are the enemy but I wouldn't wish this on anyone or any team. Let's hope his family is comforted and get through this ordeal as best as they can. Let's hope the Vikes can recover and prepare effectively for the upcoming season.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

He was a Pro Bowl tackle, I don't think he was worried about getting cut. Maybe he thought he wasn't in good shape and wanted to prove to himself that he could do it. It's too bad that it led to his death, though. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ August 01, 2001 at 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimPabs1:
    These are the times all sports should have a global universal set of rules and conditions. If lightning and tornados or whatever can put something to a delay, then so should heat. When you have long practices and doubles, with pads, in that kinda heat, considering these are big men, you have to take these into consideration.

This is the fault of the Vikings, and the NFL. Just careless.... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll never happen. You've obviously never played organized high-school or college football. Millions of players from the U.S. and Canada of all ages are currently engaged, or soon will be engaged, in two-a-day practices to get ready for the upcoming season. Korey Stringers death is a tragedy but it won't stop the wheels in motion.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is awful news indeed. Tim's right when he says athletes push themselves like this, and especially during preseason with the mindset of being at a competitive disadvantage, if you sit out. At the same time, where's the common sense? Coaches oughta know much better about having plenty of cold water on hand--how much can it hurt to take a 5-10 minute break every hour?!

BBB, you're right about it won't stop HS/college coaches, either, but hopefully they'll realize it if happened to a Pro Bowler, it can happen to anyone.

[ August 01, 2001 at 09:28 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This is pretty sad. There was a picture of Stringer in yesterdays paper, and a story about him suffering from the heat on Monday. Then yesterday he goes through the same thing, but won't quit. Reading the local paper last night ya got a read bad feeling about things, when all the players were showing up at the hospital but no one was willing to say anything.

These players and coaches aren't mindless. I'm sure they were watching Korey pretty close on Tuesday, given what had happened Monday. It's too bad things unfolded the way they did.

Who here hasn't kept pushing or playing when hurting? It's natural to say 'I can still do this' and try to ignore whatever is happening. We do that all the time. Pro football players are notorious for doing that. How many times has Farve started when he was banged up? It's part of who they are.

Stringer lived in the same 'burb I do. He was active in the community, and a humble guy by all accounts. It's a shame. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I was listening to Tony Kornheiser a bit this morning when they were talking about this and I agree...it's a tragedy that this happened. But what is even more of a travesty is that Stringer is going to have died in vain because NO ONE...not one single NFL, MLB, NBA or whatever organization is going to look at this with any type of "player concern" restructuring.

As they said on the radio this morning, this stupid, utterly ridiculous mentality is inbred into these guys' minds in jr high football...don't quit or you're not a macho, tough player. Bullcrap!!! People need to start listening their bodies and quit trying to rush into something that'll end up hurting or killing them. Is it really worth your life to keep knocking heads in 100+ degree heat to end up losing your life? Sure, Stringer had no idea yesterday would be his last practice, but for God's sake...why would anyone want to push themselves in that kind of heat? Take it into a dome somewhere if you need to...

This is totally a senseless death and a life has been wasted for the sheer idea of being tough. There is something cool about being SMART, too.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    And I was just explaining to a friend of mine the other day about how the Vikings are forever cursed. Sad irony.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011