Thread: The Dugout

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, here it is - a thread for all you baseball fans and haters alike. Yankee fans and losers alike. Let's talk ball and retire to the A.D. lounge for a cold one after the game like good sports. Speaking of good sports - here's my first question. Alomar spit in Hirschbeck's face, and now Everett headbutts Kulpa. So who's gonna be the first player to plant his spikes in an umps family jewels?

------------------
    RIGHT NOW....The original Van Halen is working together somewhere....

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

I don't know if I foresee that happening unless they start having women players - hopefully 20-40 year old men don't aim for the torpedo bay when they get in a fight. I think you'll see someone throw and out-and-out to the face punch before that happens. But let's hope neither does, and if it does, that they allow the player to be arrested. I didn't see Everett's head butt, but he shouldn't have done it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Wolfman- Great thread! I think Everett has to pay a price here. He received "Fair Warning" ( yeah-the VH tie in!) about the batters box and after being a hot-head, was rightfully ejected. I think he is easily looking at 10 games, 50-100,000 dolar fine, and a mandatory anger management course.

He not only hit in to the ump twice, he fought off his coaches, ignored Jimy williams, threw a bat on the field, and then vented at Saberhagen. He has to pay a price. Everyone has seen that footage and is waiting to see how it is handled. They have to make an example out of him.

Wolfman and Hellohawk- About David Cone. Not only do I think he is pitching hurt, I also think his career is out of gas. I hate to say it, but every game he has pitched has not even been close. He allows over seven runs a game and has no pop on his fastball after the second inning.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I didn't see it either, but my understanding is Kulpa provoked it. Not saying what Everett did was right, but the umps need to conduct themselves honorably as well.

Torpedo bay... Love it, 007!

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, Georgie - I think you're right. Cone is headed for the eternal shower. I hate to say so, because I've been one of the naysayers the last few years when everybody predicts he's finished during the preseason - especially after the gem he tossed last year. How'd you like to be Torre right now? You gotta face telling one of your clubhouse favorites he doesn't have shit anymore. Who replaces him as the "clubhouse mentor"?

------------------

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    About Cone, Gammons and Reynolds did a pretty detailed breakdown on him last night.

Personally, I've always hated Cone, no matter what team he has played for. He just comes off as a prick in interviews I've read.

I think Everett will get 10 games and a really huge fine, 100K plus, in accordance with the new power the commishioner's office was granted this spring. Of course, the players union will get it talked down.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Gammons repoted on Baseball Tonight, (a nightly ritual of TV for me), that the Indians are looking to get Wickman and Woodard for Sexton.

As a Brewer fan I'd love to see this one go down, they haven't had a decent 1st baseman since Cecil Cooper, and they need to build for Miller Park.

MLB owners: Please send your best prospects to the Brewers!!! Bere, Charlie Hayes Wickman and Grissom are available for pennant races.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

hellohawk- You'll be happy to know that he is finished then. I think everyone is in denial. I think it is time to work someone else up in the starting role until Mendoza comes back. Then you will have Hernandez-Neagle-Clemens-Pettitte-Mendoza. Cone can be kept on for the rest of this season and be used sparingly out of the bullpen. In extreme cases, a starter. ( Much like the way they use Grimsley today.)

As far as the leader in the clubhouse? I think Jeter has slowly earned the respect of that role. Yeah, he is young. But he knows about winning championships and how to get there. He knows about receiving and giving respect. I think it is the Cone-Jeter-O'Neill show for this season. Next season, Jeter will be the man with the plan.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

hellohawk- by the way, I am with you 100%! Everybody should help out the Brew Crew! They have a beautiful stadium in the works and they need to enhance a roster that offers some great young talent already. I think that deal would be great for them. Sexton would be nice in Milwaukee.

I always liked the Brewers. There was always a place in my heart for them. In fact, not long ago, I was debating with someone here who claimed Gwynn was the best hiter since Williams. Meanwhile, if you go to Major League baseball.com and look at career stats, Paul Molitor has Gwynn beat in every one except lifetime average. Where is the justice? Gwynn is great but Molitor should be said in the same senetence. By the way. I also like Mark Loretta. He is a good scrappy ball player. I wish the best for the Brewers. I would love to see them make a lot of noise out there.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Georgie, Ain't it funny how you can gain the affection of a team from another part of the counrty?

The only reason I became a Giants fan was when I was old enough to remember watching the World Series, the Dodgers and Yankees were in it. Always cheering for the AL, I rooted on the Yankees and despised the Dodgers. My hatered of the Dodgers grew and grew, and when I found out their biggest rival was the Giants, I was hooked.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

hellohawk- Great story! That's what it takes! By the way, Pacific Bell Park is my absolute favorite new ballpark in the majors. I am making plans to check it out before the season is over.

I became a Yankee fan, not just because I am from New York, but when I was six years old, I remember being home with the flu. My Mom is a huge baseball fan and I remember her teaching me the rules and positions as we cheered on the Yankees as they played the Reds in the 76 World Series. The ending was not the greatest but I got to know the players and was hooked ever since. Later that Spring, I learned to play baseball myself and attended my first Yankee game. I watched every game, got to know every team, collected the cards, and the rest was history.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Cool Georgie, you'll have a blast.

I made the trip a few weeks ago to see it against the Dodgers. Unfortunately, Kevin Brown shut them down (like he always does) and by the time Sheffield hit his second homer of the game in the fourth, the life was sucked out of the crowd. The Giants won the series though.

But you are right, that park is beautiful. Especially considering it was privately funded.

They even have a miniture field beyond the left field seats where kids can play whiffleball with a scoreboard and replay screen. If I was 10, that would have been the coolest thing in the world!!

You'll love it there!

eddymon
    yeah the ump did seem to prevoke Everett, but he must learn to control his anger.
    Maybe he should come here and let it all out.
    I am tired of refs and umps thinking that they are part of the game when all they are is just rule enforcers.
    most of them are men that didn't have enough talent to make it themselves and this is their way of being in the spotlight.
    This Kulpa is a rookie ump and was "bullied" by Piazza and Valentine after what happened the night before with Cooke.
    I thinbk that sometime somewhere, an official will get seriously hurt when some idiot goes beserk on his ass.
    I think that he should only get a 7 game suspension due being provoked.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    I went to Comiskey for the first time this weekend, which is strage since I live 90 minutes away. The lower bowl is cool but the Upper deck is super high and far from the field.

This is the ultimate no frills stadium. The last new stadium before the Camden Yards type movement. As much as it pains me to admit, the Sox fans we're really cool to us Brewers fans there.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Probably 'cause you're in a different league now! 'hawk - how's that Miller Park coming? I like to watch 'em build stadiums and they use to have a place on their web page where you could view construction photos, but I was over there a week or so ago and they've redesigned the page and I couldn't find it. I've only been to County Stadium once, and thought it was pretty cool. Only baseball game I ever went to with serious tailgating in the parking lot.