Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought of this from reading the "American Right" thread.

Let's discuss your family history. When your family began its life in the United States, and how you're here today.

This may exclude the non-Americans, which is why I made the thread "NEW WORLD". Canadians count too.

This is my background:

My surname can be found in Poland and Germany today. But my family's tree roots in the USA grow as far back as before the Civil War. Therefore my Dad's side came to this country around 1830. We're as American as it gets.

My Mom's side is a different story. Both of her parents were born in Poland in the 1920s. Her older brother was born in Germany in the 1940s during WW2. My Mom was the first born here in this country, where she spoke Polish as a child in the home, until she went to school in 1st grade, and came home refusing to speak Polish. LOL. My grandmother said that she would say stuff to her in Polish, and my mom answered in English. My grandmother picked up English right away too from that, and speaks it pretty well. My Dad told me when my parents were dating, he'd go over to my Mom's house and my grandmother would say stuff in Polish and my mom would get up and do whatever without responding. Today, my Mom can understand a little bit, but speaking, forget it.

We do some little Polish tradition, like what we eat on Easter (Polish sausage, Ham, etc) and we eat beef on Christmas Eve and whatnot. But that's pretty much as far as it goes.

----------

Ok, now how about everyone else? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Dad's side came from Slovakia long time ago, Mom's side came from England in the 1800's. Still eat some mean cabbage. Stew, cabbage rolls etc.. man I love cabbage. From what I have heard, everyone who moved here had to learn the language right away. I was born here so I consider myself "American". I can't do a long one like you did right now, but I will check back in a bit. Hope this one grows [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My ancestors came here in the 18th century. Some of them fought in the Revolution.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just a typical, non-PC, European white male!

I can go as far back as my great-grandmother coming from Poland; my mom says I have more Polish in me than any other nationality.

My mom's side is German & Polish, and my dad's is Scottish & Swedish.

And Polish jokes don't offend me! Unfortunately mom never taught me to swear in Polish [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Japanese Father
    Japanese Mother
    And I live in Australia

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know more about my mother's side. They came over right around the start of WWII from Germany and moved across the US, first into West Virginia before settling in Ohio. I'm told they spoke German around the oldest of their kids (they had seven total), but no one knows any German anymore, and most of the "German culture" has been swallowed up by traditional US culture.

All I know about my father's side is the ones from Germany came over in the late 19th century and went out of their way to shed their accents and become "American." Not sure when the Irish and English ancestors of mine came over.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hmmm, my father's side is better documented, although I don't know a lot of it, but I haven't the foggiest about my mother's side.

My great grandfather came over from Germany, so I assume his wife did too. I'm not sure if my grandfather was born here or there, but he was in the US for most if not all of his life. He served in WWII, but not overseas. I think he was a guard at a stateside POW camp. His wife's maiden name was Bell, so possibly Scottish?. I do know the Bell's were here prior to the depression, don't know much further back than that. There is a family farm near Ottumwa(spelling?), Iowa that remains in the family, and is kept in the family specifically to provide refuge if there is another depression or something. Pretty cool, actually. There are family reunions at the farm (there is a cemetary there where my father's parents have a stone, and my parents will be buried there), but I haven't made it out to one yet. If I had, maybe I'd have a clue.

My mother's father's last name was Ellaby, which sounds like some type of English/Great Britain type of name, but I've never really heard too much about that.

So, despite a very German last name, my roots are probably more from Great Britain area than anything else, but still American through and through. Apparently, though, I still have family in Germany, but we've never pursued it. Could do a European Vacation thing, and just go into any old house I suppose...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

accoding to what i have been told:

my father's family which consisted of the Van Wycks and the Wycoffs came over on this boat from the Netherlands and were involved in the purchase of some island for about $24. The Dutch West India Company payed em nicely to farm the land. About 5 minutes from me is Wycoff avenue, named after my ancestors. I feel so special. The avenue is where their largest farm was. Shows how far the family has moved over 300 plus years. lol The Van Wycks and the Wycoffs intermingled with some, at the time, wealthy and powerful german family. From this they gained some more land. ya know how it goes. I remember being told that the Van Wyck expressway is also after my family, but I can't find the info for sure here in the shoebox where my dad keeps everything. [img]redface.gif[/img]

My mom's side of the family hails from what was then Austria-Hungry. Left after WWI. My grandmother was born here shortly after. The area is Morivan (i [I]think[I] I spelt that right). Believe it is now in Slovakia or the Czech Republic. One of the two. Ask my grandmother, we are austrian. Her husband was from the same area. That's about it on that side.

I tend to take after my father's side of the family
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

The only part I know for sure is that my paternal grandfather came over from England when he was like 3. Allegedly we used to be piano manufacturers and quite well off, but someone absconded with the money and the family split up - some to Australia, some to America. Also according to what I was told, my paternal great-grandmother looked at the map and thought "Springvale, Maine" sounded like a nice place. Hope she found it to be so!
    My paternal grandmother was of French-Canadian ancestry, died when I was young - don't remember her or her family. Reportedly, after she married my grandfather she would not allow her family to speak French around him or the boys since they did not speak French!
    Don't know much about my maternal ancestry other than they are of Anglican stock. Allegedly, we are somehow distantly related to Sam Houston - that'd be pretty cool to get a confirmation on that, but I don't see it happening!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Wow, I know so little about my family! I should really ask the 'rents.

My dad's side is 100% German. I THINK it was my great-grandparents who came over and started the farm in Iowa, and my grandparents were the first generation born here. My mom and dad farm the same land today.

My mom's side is some Scottish, some German, and lots of other nationalities thrown in the mix. I think we traced it back to someone who came over on the Mayflower.

Interesting thread...
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I know alot of stuff about my family. But Im mostly English and some German and some other European stuff. I think we came over some time between The Revolutionary war and the Civil war (closer to Revolutionary). But my great great great(and so forth) grandfather was William Pitt http://www.clpgh.org/exhibit/neighbo...oint_n104.html *cough*Pittsburgh*cough* . It feels cool to know a city is named after my family. He also was against taxing the americans, "This country has no right to tax the colonists. There is an idea in some minds that the colonies are represented in this House. I would fain know by whom an American is represented here?". I'm glad my grandmother got into geneology cause some of the shit is really cool.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:47 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

My short story:

My father was born in a town outside of Naples, Italy. My mother was born in New Britain, CT. Her great-grandparents were from Poland who came to the US. There is also a small % of Irish in my blood.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

my mom is italian and her parents were born in connecticut in the early 1900's...her dad in 1913. my great grandparents came over on the boat [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

my dad's parents were form pennslyvania. his dad is irish and his mother polish. my dad's gransparents were born in ireland and poland as my mom's in italy

yes i eat all kinds of food

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Well, I know that three of my four grandparents were Irish, and one was Italian. So I am 75% Irish and 25% Italian. But, I am 100% Canadian!

[ June 15, 2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: YankeeRose ]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!