Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's right Mr. Norton, time for you to step up to the plate. It's me and you. Mano y Mano! It's all gonna boil down to the 90's Bulls vs. the 80's Shit-Time Lakers! It's for the entire world to see! Let's get it on brotha! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Michael Jordan vs. Magic Johnson

Tim's pick: Jordan! Who in the right mind, would ever pick ANYONE other than his royal airness? This has got to be a joke right?

Scottie Pippen vs. James Worthy

Tim's pick: Pippen! James Who? How many years did Worthy finish in the top 3 in steals and assists? Also, how many times was Worthy a starting All-Star compared to Pippen? And....who's won more titles? Who's got a gold medal?

The "Worm" Dennis Rodman vs. ????? EXACTLY!

Tim's pick: Is there a need for explanation here?

Luc Longley vs. Kareem!

Tim's pick: Longley! Overall, Kareem. But...in the 80's, you had to oil Kareem's legs before gametime. He was too old to compete against a much younger and stronger Longley in the 90's. And...Longley wasn't a necessary target on offense. His defense is what made him valuable.

Phil Jackson vs. Pat Riley

Tim's pick: Jackson. Not even Riley's hair can save him here. Riley couldn't even beat the Bulls with New York either. Sorry Patty, Phil's got ya beat.

Bulls vs. Lakers

Tim's pick: Bulls! 72-10. Won 6 championships in 8 years. And it would have been 8 in a row, but Jordan got in trouble with gambling (hence the baseball). The 80's Laker team was good, for that decade, but the level of competition was limited. Shit, they had to compete with Bird's Celtics, who would kick their asses regularly. No team could beat Jordan's Bulls. The Bulls were the best team in NBA history. Not even the great Celtics teams could hang, since they were the ONLY team.

Come on Brett...let's go buddy! Show me what you're made of! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know i'm not brett (hee hee) but i gotta say that both were great teams.
    but, you gotta go with the bulls. amazing. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm all for the Bulls, but Luc Longley over Karim Abdul Jabbar? Are you crazy?!
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimPabs1:

Luc Longley vs. Kareem!

Tim's pick: Longley! Overall, Kareem. But...in the 80's, you had to oil Kareem's legs before gametime. He was too old to compete against a much younger and stronger Longley in the 90's. And...Longley wasn't a necessary target on offense. His defense is what made him valuable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your dreaming!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim,

You know I don't live all that far from ya, but I've been a Celtics fan all my life, so I gotta jump in here too.

Larry Bird's '85-86 team (67-15) would've beaten the 72-10 Bulls in 7 games. And he would never permit Boston to lose a couple of games to expansion teams! NEVER!! They'd be 75-7 if they had watered-down teams to play!

The 3-headed monster known as the Bulls center still wouldn't hold their own against the Chief. He'd mug them just like he did Laimbeer once! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

No one on the Bulls could stop McHale & his long arms offensively--his shot was next to impossible to defend--you had to hope he'd be off. Rodman could only break even on the boards at best. And I bet he couldn't make McHale go after him to get thrown out & a 1 game suspension (though McHale would definitely give Rodman a few pointy elbows in the face during the course of action).

Larry Legend vs. Pip would be the best matchup to watch. The best team player ever in the game vs. one of the best defenders ever in Pippen. Too tough to call, but Larry wouldn't sit out 1.8 seconds. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Paxson vs. Ainge--both great outside shooters, but Danny don't back down from anybody--ask Tree Rollins!

Air vs. DJ--OK, guess I can concede on this one, but Jordan would earn it like he never did before.

Bench--Boston, even without Bill Walton!

Coach--well, Phil couldn't play, so it don't matter.

And didn't we have this thread a few months back?

[ September 28, 2001 at 09:06 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Ok Timmy, first off....lay off the crack pipe son. Secondly, no offense, but you weren't old enough to remember the glory years of the 80's NBA, because if you were, you wouldn't be talking out of your ass.

To begin with the, '86-'87 Laker team is the best team I have ever seen. They would absoutely take apart and completely destroy an offensively inept team like the Bulls, even the "glorious" 72-10 team. Let's compare.

James Worthy vs. Scottie Pippen - First of all, nobody came up bigger in key games than "Big Game" James. Scottie Pippen has NEVER had the reputation as a big game player, and this has been evident all his career, especially the years without Jordan. How many games did he sit out in the final seconds because plays were not designed for him? Worthy was quicker, had that great fall away baseline jumper, and was the best finisher in the league on the break. Pippen is a better defender, however a complete headcase and is not a big game player. The facts don't lie. If it comes to a Game 7 at the Boston Garden, I want James Worthy in there, not Scottie Pippen.

A.C. Green (Kurt Rambis) vs. Dennis Rodman - Different game, different era. The Laker power forwards didn't need to pull down 20 rebounds a game, it was unnecessary in their offensive scheme. The "Showtime" Lakers ran the fastbreak like no team had or has since. It was magical, and the power forward game in this run and gun offense had a much different role than say a half-court team like the Bulls. A.C. and Kurt together pulled down 12-15 boards combined, and scored about 11-15 points. That was fine, and both were better offensive players than Rodman, which is scary to think that Kurt Rambis was better than anyone offensively. Rodman is another headcase and would have imploded on the Bulls were it not for Jordan and Phil Jackson.

Any piece of crap Bulls' center vs. Kareem - Not even going to touch this one. You could put all the Bill Cartwrights and Luc Longleys you want up against Kareem, and it would still be a joke. Kareem even half-dead was more valuable than either of these players. And Kareem in his prime was completely unguardable with the sky hook, and he grabbed 15-20 rebounds to boot. Even in his later years, he still could hit that shot, in crucial times, and in big situations. The center position in Chicago was a revolving door anyway, so who cares.

John Paxson or Whoever vs. Byron Scott
    Again, no comparison. Byron Scott was a 20-point a game scorer who could hit the three and go to the hole on the break. John Paxson was a stand-still jump shooter, who's career was never even worth mentioning until Jordan came along. Even then, it's still not worth mentioning.

MJ vs. Magic
    Obviously the toughest comparison, but really you can't compare. Completely different games and roles. When Magic needed to score, he did. When he needed to rebound, he did. When he needed to be the playmaker, he was. Yes Jordan did that, but not to the degree Magic did. Magic played all 5 positions in Game 6 in 1980 against Philly in the Finals, inluding starting at center for an injured Kareem. He scored 42 points and was brilliant. Even MJ couldn't do that. I mean if you want to talk pure scoring, well obviously Jordan wins there. His all-around game improved later in his career which is why the Bulls were able to dominate the soft NBA 90's, but Magic had the all-around game his ENTIRE career. Jordan was never even considered a true team player until his later years, when his one-on-one game declined. Magic was always the leader out there, you knew he'd control the game, you knew he wasn't panicking. You knew he'd make the big play, I mean in all honesty, Laker fans in the 80's didn't even need to watch playoff games until the Finals, because you knew they'd get it done. Can any Bull fan say that?? MJ was a great player, a winner, a dominating force, but Magic is the ultimate team player, and the ultimate leader on the court.

The Benches
    Toni Kukoc? Jud Buechler? Bill Wennington? Scott Williams? Give me a freaking break. The Lakers had Michael Cooper, who was an incredible defender, the best of his generation, and a 6-man of the year award winner. Mychal Thompson was a dominating backup center to Kareem and was the key behind the '86-'87 team's success. Throw in other good plauers off the bench over the years, like Bob McAdoo, Mike McGee, and Kurt Rambis (who went to the bench after A.C. Green was drafted), and there is no comparison. The Bull bench isn't even worth talking about.

Phil Jackson vs. Pat Riley
    I love both coaches, I think Phil is a great motivator, the best I have ever seen. Riley is a great X and O's guy, and can spot other team's weaknesses and exploit them. Both coaches command great respect from their players, and I guarantee you that if Riley had Shaq and Kobe on his team in Miami right now, he'd have titles with two different clubs too.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim, my good man, looks like Brett just jacked a solid extra-base hit! HEHEHE [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

I'll respond tomorrow when I am awake and can do a nice write up.

BTW - Luc Longley over Kareem is not even worth discussion. Manute Bol has more game than Luc Longley, and to compare him to the game's all-time leading scorer is just lame.

More tomorrow...oh Pippen over Worthy??? More dreaming. I suppose John Paxson over Byron Scott too huh? ROFL!!! How about Toni Kukoc over Coop off the bench right? LOL!!!!

One point you fail to remember Tim. By 1991, the NBA was COMPLETELY WATTERED DOWN. In the 80's, the Lakers had to contend with the Celtics, the Sixers, and the "Bad Boy" Pistons. The 90's was a terrible decade for good teams, so the Bulls had no one who could match up with them. The Magics, Birds, McHales, Worthys, Kareems, were gone. Big difference in the level of competition bro between the 80's and 90's, any NBA neophyte knows that.

[ September 28, 2001 at 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Brett ]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OH yeah?

Well...

LAKERS SUCK! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never understood soccer. Hell, I never even knew that LA or Chicago had teams (or fans).

Learn sumthin' new every day!

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:24 PM
    Liked 16,572 Times in 9,399 Posts

Hey TB1,

Great comeback. The Lakers suck? You mean the same Lakers that are even money in Las Vegas to win their 3rd straight championship this season?

How does it feel to be a Bulls' fan these days? It's bad enough that they are barely better than a WNBA team. Now, MJ is coming out of retirement to play with the Wizards, who without him are barely better than a WNBA team.

Oh well, maybe the Cubs will do it this year. Oh wait, maybe the Cubs will do it next year. LOL!!!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it takes a die hard laker fan to tell someone that anyone is better than MJ.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Brett your post was as one sided as Tim's. You are making the Bulls championship teams look like the Vancouver Grizzlies in your post! You aren't giving them any credit in your comparison's. Granted i don't know as much about B-ball as you, but I know enough that it takes a great team to 3-peat twice in 8 years, and win 72 games. Don't forget they won 70 the following season too! Give them a little credit huh? By the way they are better than the 80's Lakers! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i believe you mean memphis grizzlies now, UW. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    and go easy on them, they were still better than the GS warriors. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by laner:
    i believe you mean memphis grizzlies now, UW. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    and go easy on them, they were still better than the GS warriors. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they will probally be better than the Sonics this year. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

P.S. - As official VHLINKS Sonics GM I am still excepting offers for Vin(the doughnut)Baker!! Season starts soon guys you dont want to let this opportunity pass you up!
    [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.