Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

U.S. Sees Nuclear Deterrence Against WMD Attack
    Tue Dec 10, 7:12 PM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States reminded Iraq and other countries on Tuesday that it was prepared to use nuclear weapons if necessary to respond to an attack from weapons of mass destruction.

The warning, which underscored longstanding U.S. policy leaving open the use of nuclear weapons if needed, was contained in a statement of U.S. strategy against nuclear, chemical and biological weapons -- the first update since 1993.

The six-page strategy document says deterring attacks with the threat of "overwhelming force" is an essential element in protecting America and its allies from weapons of mass destruction, also known as WMD.

"The United States will continue to make clear that it reserves the right to respond with overwhelming force -- including through resort to all our options -- to the use of WMD against the United States, our forces abroad, and friends and allies," the strategy report said.

"In addition to our conventional and nuclear response and defense capabilities, our overall deterrent posture against WMD threats is reinforced by effective intelligence, surveillance, interdiction and domestic law enforcement capabilities," it said.

Senior U.S. officials said the passage was not included the previous U.S. strategy document on weapons of mass destruction, which emphasized efforts to prevent proliferation, and said the new document did not represent a shift in U.S. policy on when it would use nuclear weapons.

But the passage was put in the new report as part of an increased emphasis on the role of deterrence against a weapons of mass destruction attack, they said.

Other major elements of the new strategy include strengthening nonproliferation measures, beefing up defenses and combating the effects of an attack on the population.

The strategy report was released amid the looming possibility of war with Iraq, which the United States accuses of possessing weapons of mass destruction, officials said.

"The language speaks for itself, and I think it does apply to any state that would use weapons of mass destruction against us," a senior official said.

But the warning emphasizes and makes explicit for other countries a private warning Bush's father, former President George Bush, made in a letter to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) on the eve of the first Gulf War (news - web sites).

In that letter, the United States threatened the "severest consequences" if Iraq were to use chemical or biological weapons against the United States, destroy Kuwaiti oil fields or participate in terrorism.

"It was clear in terms of the message that we would respond with all of our options. ... The Iraqis have told us that they interpreted that letter as meaning the United States would use nuclear weapons, and it was a powerful deterrent," the official said.

Although Iraq later set fire to Kuwaiti oil fields and supported terrorism, the official said, it did not "cross the line" of using chemical or biological weapons.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it just me or does the President just seem like he's hoping for a fight..or that he just has an itchy trigger finger?

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by rrussou812:
    Is it just me or does the President just seem like he's hoping for a fight..or that he just has an itchy trigger finger?
    Not at all. He's just ready to rock n' roll if need be. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Where's the news in this? We've been ready, willing, and able to use nuclear weapons since 1945. It's our willingness to use them that's prevented their use since 1945.

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

is bush going to have "nuke 'em all" as his slogan in '04? i don't think i want the leader of the free world to use any of the following expressions:

let's rock n roll! (in a non-musical setting)

get some! get some!

can't we just bomb the fuckers?

let's roll.

i guess, we at least had the courtesy to let the world know we're armed and pissed. kind of like the days of reagan without the gentle humor and vacant twinkle in the eye...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rrussou812:
    I'm with you on this one rrussou812, although I do think what MikeL says holds true also. Its a preventative measure and if need be we should excersize it. Bush on the other hand seems to be all to gung ho IMO. I don't necessarily disagree with our stance on Iraq but I have doubts that it will end there, he seems hell bent on cutting loose on someone.

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Where's the news in this? We've been ready, willing, and able to use nuclear weapons since 1945. It's our willingness to use them that's prevented their use since 1945.
    true enough. it just seems like sometimes our military is the only card the president has to play, and they keep yelling it out to everyone in the room. kind of the opposite of "speak softly..." we'll have to see if the president can do anything with that big stick.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry, this statement doesn't make sense at all to me. The world is safer because we have countries who are prepared to use nuclear weapons, and thats why they don't use them?

George.W. is a very scary individual my friends. Do not be fooled.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Yup.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Ikeda:
    is bush going to have "nuke 'em all" as his slogan in '04? i don't think i want the leader of the free world to use any of the following expressions:

let's rock n roll! (in a non-musical setting)

get some! get some!

can't we just bomb the fuckers?

let's roll.

i guess, we at least had the courtesy to let the world know we're armed and pissed. kind of like the days of reagan without the gentle humor and vacant twinkle in the eye...
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by kenny5150:
    I'm sorry, this statement doesn't make sense at all to me. The world is safer because we have countries who are prepared to use nuclear weapons, and thats why they don't use them?
    In short, yup.

It's a concept that came into being in the 1950s, called mutually assured destruction (MAD). The theory is that if you have the capability to utterly destroy your enemy he'll not attack you. MAD has changed over the years because of shifting political and technological realities, but the basic concept is sound.

MAD is the reason why the US and USSR built so many thousands of nuclear weapons. If you've only got enough to destroy your enemy, he might try and reduce that force through a first strike making nuclear warfare "winnable." If you've got enough warheads that a viable force would remain even in the event of a first strike, then the MAD principle holds true.

Arms control agreements are a threat to MAD. If the number of warheads is reduced to the point where a first strike can neutralize an enemy arsenal, nuclear war becomes a much greater possibility. Part of the US reason for wanting arms control treaties with the Soviets was because we were developing technologies that would make a nuclear war possible. The B-2, Peacekeeper ICBM, and Trident D-2 SLBM are weapons that the Soviets saw as allowing a first strike, and they weren't mistaken. They were designed to give us the same advantage we had during our nuclear monopoly in the '40s and early '50s. They were a threat to MAD.

NBMD is also a threat to MAD. Bush wants it implemented along with treaties designed to lower the number of warheads ourselves and potential enemies have. I think it's incredibly risky and destabilizing.

If North Korea or Iraq posess WMD, they need to know that the US will anhiliate their cities, industries, and armies if we (or our allies) are targeted. Knowing that makes them far less likely to use WMD. Unfortunately knowing this isn't enough. They've got to believe that we are ready and willing to drop a bucket of sunshine on their ass mere moments after they do it to us.

[ December 10, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sure is interesting. You seem to really know your stuff. I am assuming and hoping that a comprehensive knowledge of these issues doesnt neccessarily mean that you think concepts like MAD are sane in any way.......

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

That sure is interesting. You seem to really know your stuff. I am assuming and hoping that a comprehensive knowledge of these issues doesnt neccessarily mean that you think concepts like MAD are sane in any way.......
    No more sane than developing the warhead in the first place. In fact, MAD is (was) the only logical next step as a means of defense realistically.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

call me an idealist, but do you guys think there will ever be a chance, in our lifetimes, or our childrens, for TOTAL disarmament? I mean, if no - ones got nukes, we've all gotta be safer, right?

I know this sounds naive, but I cant help but think mankind is gonna render this place uninhabitable before we realise, enough is enough.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

call me an idealist, but do you guys think there will ever be a chance, in our lifetimes, or our childrens, for TOTAL disarmament? I mean, if no - ones got nukes, we've all gotta be safer, right?
    It'll never happen. It isn't possible. So long as there are limited resources and space, someone will always want what someone else has. Industrialization and overpopulation breed war. The only thing that's prevented another world war is the threat of total destruction.

If no one has nukes, we're all screwed the moment some nut builds one. Nuclear weapons are a reality that we have to deal with and accept. I do think the way we deal with them is sane, and their development was inevitable as science moved on.

The frightening part isn't the US or any other nation having the weapons, but some terrorist organization that has no land, no infrastructure, and no real physical form. That's where MAD breaks down, and that's why it was so important for Bush to tie states that harbor terrorists to the terrorists themselves after 9/11.