Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

With 9/11 and all the other threats old and new that are surfaced, is there anybody out there that is still against "racial profiling"? If so, c'mere and let me just slap the shit outta you! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Just kidding, your entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

But really, is that the proper terminology? If we KNOW and can PIN POINT a certain age group, ethnicity, and other criteria that completely fit the bill to Al-queda, and drill them with questioning, is that really "racial profiling"? Or is that more "investigating a possible suspect" ? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I lean towards the latter thank you very much.

I'm sad to say that the city where I live, is against this type of "discrimination" and "racial profiling" and enough so that they snub the federal gov't and their efforts to arraign people for questioning.

We have a VERY large dam not far from here. We have a bunch of bridges, and a fairly concentrated downtown area, as well as an international airport. I think this is bullshit.

I don't see it in the papers as much anymore, but I hear about it all the time on talk radio. This policy of tip-toeing around ethnicities. Lame.

Your thoughts?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think it's dangerous to put more focus on one race than another. Al Qaeda and other terror groups draw their membership from all over the globe. Would anybody suspect a white upper-middle class guy in his early 20s poking around that dam?

[ May 21, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    I think it's dangerous to put more focus on one race than another. Al Qaeda and other terror groups draw their membership from all over the globe. Would anybody suspect a white upper-middle class guy in his early 20s poking around that dam?
    I dont know, when was the last time one flew an airplane into a building?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally have no problem with questioning someone based solely on race. But I'm a white male. No one's gonna question me. If I were an Arab American I might feel differently.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone should be detained unless there is some evidence to suspect him or her as a terrorist.

Back in world war two, we detained thousands of Japanese Americans without any proof of any wrongdoing. That was wrong. 99.9% of everyone we detained was held against his or her will because of racial profiling.

We must be careful not to cross that line again.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:

Back in world war two, we detained thousands of Japanese Americans without any proof of any wrongdoing. That was wrong. 99.9% of everyone we detained was held against his or her will because of racial profiling.

I totally agree with you there. I dont think it would be appropriate to "detain" people of middle easter decent in camps. But if they fit the bill, I also dont think it would hurt to ask them questions about their origin and purpose for being here. If they mind that...fuck em'. Like I care. I'd think they would understand, and if they don't, fuck em. Do it anyways. Sometimes security measures arent pleasant but in the end provide security.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unfortunately, there's a lot of people that look like they fit the "Al queda" mold, but you can't just detain and hassle someone because their looks match that profile. they did a story on the news back in November on some college students that were Sikhs, darkskinned guys with turbans, who have nothing to do with Islamic anything, and the hidden cameras showed people ragging on them just because of their appearance. just being darksiknned and Arab looking doesn't make one a possible suspect. i've been in Arab-run stores where the guy behind the counter watches everything i do, and i'm white...my answer to that, don't give that guy any of my business.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by seenbad:
    You're right. The last one to do that in the US was a white kid in his teens.

If we start to make assumptions on who can and cannot be a terrorist based on race, we leave ourselves rather vulnerable. Don't you agree?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the same as pulling a BMW over simply because a black man is driving it.

Or closing down a shop in 1930's Germany because it's jewish owned and ran.

You can't properly profile a race. You either descriminate against them and assume the worst, or you leave them be. There is no inbetween.

I say this while seeing merits in racial profiling, but the idea has WAY more bad points than good.
    When James Brown dies...David Lee Roth will be the hardest working man in show business...<br /><br />VOTE QUIMBY!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dj88:

I totally agree with you there. I dont think it would be appropriate to "detain" people of middle easter decent in camps. But if they fit the bill, I also dont think it would hurt to ask them questions about their origin and purpose for being here. If they mind that...fuck em'. Like I care. I'd think they would understand, and if they don't, fuck em. Do it anyways. Sometimes security measures arent pleasant but in the end provide security.</font>[/QUOTE]they need to crack down on these 40-year olds on "student visas." i do countless quotes for people of other country's origin, and these guys say they don't work, but they're driving $25,000 Accords and Camrys, and they're here on a student visa...which sounds a bit fishy to me. i know a lot of foreigners come here and do work that we don't want to do (nursery and farm work comes to mind), and the city of Cleveland went to India to recruit teachers, since there was a shortage of qualified ones here. but not everyone is here legitimately, and they have to find a way to police that better...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    quote:
    You're right. The last one to do that in the US was a white kid in his teens.

If we start to make assumptions on who can and cannot be a terrorist based on race, we leave ourselves rather vulnerable. Don't you agree?
    [/QUOTE]Ok, and we have now learned that the kid is backed by a major network of other kids aiming to (fill in blank).... so we need to profile kids. I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

Your point on vulnerability is a good one, and I agree, but for now the method of intelligence gathering should be go with what we know. Thats what we know. Go with it and keep our minds open to other potentials, but go with it. It's not going to hurt anything.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy Pete:
    This is the same as pulling a BMW over simply because a black man is driving it.

You can't properly profile a race. You either descriminate against them and assume the worst, or you leave them be. There is no inbetween.

I say this while seeing merits in racial profiling, but the idea has WAY more bad points than good.
    Cool. Now YOUR in charge of the nations security and intelligence gathering to prevent further attacks. Where do you go for the most information the fastest? Who do you ask? What would you suggest?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeL:
    I dont know, when was the last time one flew an airplane into a building?</font>[/QUOTE]I can remember one who parked a Ryder truck loaded with fertilizer inside a federal building...

Would it have been correct to profile all white people, or even all white military personnel over the actions of Tim McVeigh?

Why were Japanese Americans locked up like criminals during World War II, but not German Americans?

The problem with racial profiling is that it presumes that race itself is a factor of guilt, i.e. you are more likely to commit a crime because you are "this" group.

What a racist crock of shit. Radical fundamentalist Islam, like radical fundamentalist right wing "Christianity", or racist Nazi ideology, or whatever, is not a matter of genetics, but a matter of mental conditioning.

John Walker Lindh was genetically a white American. Mentally he became an Islamic Fundie Taliban Al Qaeda wacko. Does he fit the racial profile? Fuck no. Is he more of a terrorist threat than Achmed the cab driver. Probably.

But John Asscrotch would rather jail poor Achmed (whose cab has been draped with flags and red white and blue ribbons for the last 8 months) just to be on the safe side.

And I applaud Portland's chief of police for telling Asscrotch where to stick his police state!
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Your point on vulnerability is a good one, and I agree, but for now the method of intelligence gathering should be go with what we know. Thats what we know. Go with it and keep our minds open to other potentials, but go with it. It's not going to hurt anything.
    Going with what we knew was what got us into this to begin with. 9/11 was inconceivable, remember?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Seenbad I agree with you a 100%. Racial profiling can be a very effective tool in helping to stop these terrorists acts. Tough times call for tough measures and racial profiling has nothing to do with discrimination.
    These terrrorist acts were perpetrated by middle eastern men with ties to the Al Quaeda and Osama. It would be only natural to detain these men who fit said profile and question them more closely ie-at a local airport. Double check their passport and make sure they are who they say they are. Take a couple of extra minutes and ask a few extra questions. We shouldn't have to compromise our safety because of time constraints or an individual being slightly inconvenienced. If these terrorsists had been Japanese males or white european males don't you think the FBI or local police would take a harder look at these individuals? It only makes good investigative sense to do so.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crazy Pete:

Cool. Now YOUR in charge of the nations security and intelligence gathering to prevent further attacks. Where do you go for the most information the fastest? Who do you ask? What would you suggest?</font>[/QUOTE]What should one suggest? One of the most effective ways of dealing with an external threat is to eliminate the chance of it becoming internal. Close the borders. But is this feesible? No.

What is more feesible is proactive instead of reactive. Don't close off the borders...make it harder to get in...then make it hard to stay in. If you know you have let some good love in, you don't have to worry about jive.

Go to them first. The CIA made the Taliban, or trained them or whatever...then go wrangle the dogs back in.

Listen to everyone. Some FBI agent said a while ago, "Hey guys! Take a look at this flight school man! Something's up!" And no one did shit about it. I think 9/11 made the U.S. lose some ego, and reports like this one will not go unheard or uninvestigated.

Pointing the finger at everyone wearing a towel around their head with a different skin color is not the answer. It's an easy way out. And this is a problem that will never really be solved..let alone solved easily.
    When James Brown dies...David Lee Roth will be the hardest working man in show business...<br /><br />VOTE QUIMBY!