On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys, as a hobby of mine or just for fun, i like to build little stuff out if spare electronic parts(motors, switches,lights, gears, etc). mostly stuff like little alarms, little electric cars, some solar stuff, you know the type. if you like to do the same, i'd like to hear some stuff you've made or want to make, but need help.
    Van Halen kicks ass!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Tinkering...hmm.... well I tinker on old Mopar musclecars. I have a 71 440 Cuda ala' Nash Bridges. Hopefully one of these days I will have it finished. Money is a big factor is working on one of these money pits. When I was in high school 12 years ago me and my dad fixed up this old RoadRunner. I guess this is where it started.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

There's a small chain of stores around here called Axman Surplus. Absolutely the coolest place to go and dig around in. They've got everything from old French gas masks to nerf balls to specimen bottles to every electronic component you can think of. Need an air regulator from a scuba set up? They've probably got one for $5. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My tinkering hobby grew into R/C airplanes and just this last year into an R/C helicopter. It's complex, demanding, expensive, and frustrating as all hell. Hobbies kick ass!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] Some of the things I've made:

A potting bench, a flower pot console, I have done sculptures out of clay, I've sewed window treatments, I make a new Xmas item every year, ususally a wreath, tabletop centerpiece, or mantel piece, more recently I made some egg ornaments (process of getting the egg out of its shell is gross). :shescrafty:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'd love to get an r/c airplane kit, but like you said...expensive as hell. believe it or not, you can do alot with those little rubber band powered gliders. one winter maybe 2 years ago, i took the little plastic wheels off the plane and cut skis out of a pepsi can. it worked good to my surprise. after that worked, that summer i did the same thing but cut floats out of florists foam. it was a bit heavy, but worked pretty good in the water.
    Van Halen kicks ass!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    more recently I made some egg ornaments (process of getting the egg out of its shell is gross). :shescrafty:<hr></blockquote>

Angel, how do you do that? I can barely crack one open cleanly. I can see myself making a real mess of trying to keep the shell intact. What do they look like when they're done?

Mark, I've always loved flying things. I spent hour upon hour out in the park playing with rubberband powered models. Those things are still a kick! I've got some buddies that are a bit more creative than I am. Working bomb-drops on one of their planes, and one of them is going to have an airborne camera sometime next year.

Everything goes better with fireworks, too.

[ November 28, 2001 at 11:39 AM: Message edited by: MikeL ]</p>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

excuse me angel for answering the question, but the way i've seen eggs emptied is to put small pinholes on the top and bottom of the egg and then put your mouth over one of the holes and blow. the yolk and egg whites just ooze right out.
    Van Halen kicks ass!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

excuse me angel for answering the question, but the way i've seen eggs emptied is to put small pinholes on the top and bottom of the egg and then put your mouth over one of the holes and blow. the yolk and egg whites just ooze right out.

oh yeah mike, i've seen pictures of r/c planes with cameras on them. i've seen model rockets with them too. we used to build rockets and put little crickets inside them. not a nice surprise when you open the chamber up. guts everywhere!
    Van Halen kicks ass!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

quote:
    Originally posted by Limecuda:
    Tinkering...hmm.... well I tinker on old Mopar musclecars. I have a 71 440 Cuda ala' Nash Bridges. Hopefully one of these days I will have it finished. Money is a big factor is working on one of these money pits. When I was in high school 12 years ago me and my dad fixed up this old RoadRunner. I guess this is where it started.

Pretty sweet man! My dream is to one day get a '68 Camaro SS 396 to tinker with. Gotta convince the wife of that first. It took me enough prodding to convince her that the new Mustang GT I bought would be reliable transportation.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeL:

Angel, how do you do that? I can barely crack one open cleanly. I can see myself making a real mess of trying to keep the shell intact. What do they look like when they're done?

<hr></blockquote>

As Mark VH mentioned, you do put holes in the top and bottom of the egg, but I never put my lips to it.....I used a straw...it also helps if you shake it up first. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    They look pretty when they're finished, and Martha gave me the idea. This tree is full of eggs that I know Martha didn't blow

[img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Limecuda:
    Tinkering...hmm.... well I tinker on old Mopar musclecars. I have a 71 440 Cuda ala' Nash Bridges. Hopefully one of these days I will have it finished. Money is a big factor is working on one of these money pits. When I was in high school 12 years ago me and my dad fixed up this old RoadRunner. I guess this is where it started.<hr></blockquote>

My friend's uncle just took me for a ride in his 68 Charger he built. Get this, it has no power steering! I guess it makes the car go faster. My friend's dad had a lot of trouble drving it. But lemme tell ya it was one fun ride!
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:

[img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

I can honestly say I never thought for a million years that I would see a Martha Stewart Magazine posted at the VH LINKS.

Angel you rock BABY!!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:

My friend's uncle just took me for a ride in his 68 Charger he built. Get this, it has no power steering! I guess it makes the car go faster. My friend's dad had a lot of trouble drving it. But lemme tell ya it was one fun ride!
    <hr></blockquote>

Believe it or not a lot of guys into Mopars rather not to have power steering or A/C. Performance wise headers and a power steering box are a headache. They can rub and also boil the fluid. My Cuda has a fresh 440 I put in it. When I first idled out to the street (illegally) I thought something was tore up. The car wouldn't move and smoke was pouring out from underneath. Turns out it had a little more power than I realized and the tires couldn't get traction. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Later on I smoked them for 250'. Big Blocks rule.

[ November 29, 2001 at 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Limecuda ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Sorry to bring up a dead post, but I wanted to share something I've got going on these days.. My dad is now in his 70s, and he spent his life being an awesome carpenter. My older brother had no issues inheriting woodworking skills.. like my dad, he's in the process of building his own boat. Me... not so much. I got bored one weekend and decided to resurrect and old wooden game we had back in the 70's. It's called Skittles, and I equate it to like an Amish-style pinball game. You take a top, which is a circle with a stick through the middle that has been sharpened to a point, wrap a string around it and pull, making the top go through the board, knocking down miniature wooden bowling pins that are preset up with points. I'm kind of proud of how this turned out. I'm actually considering putting a few together and selling them on Ebay.. This video below is not my board, or my video, but here's how it operates:

Here's my take on it:

"I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That looks awesome. I'm a bit of a woodworking hack myself. Mostly just odd & end type stuff. Biggest thing I ever made was king size head & foot board out of reclaimed heart pine for sweet thing and I. Matter of fact I just laid hold of a truck bed full of ship lap today from an old tenant house on some family land. Gonna finish off the outside of our garage bathroom with it. It's old & funky. Still got a good bit of the whitewash on it too. It'll look cool once it's up. Plan on roller hanging one of the old doors from the same house as well. We'll see. The boys have got to pull a gagillion nails out first. Better make sure they're tetanus is up to date.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: