Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Recently I had a single that I needed to get from Australia and Goo turned me on to some mail-order sites there and I figured I'd try it out. I also figured I'd end up spending more, since I was shopping overseas, but it turned out not so bad price-wise. I thought - this could be the way to go - most singles available in the U.S. are imports and therefore cost more than if they were released domestically - typically $9-$10 for the import where it might only be $5-$6 for the domestic release (if such a thing were available - can't remember what was the last single I was able to get domestically - maybe "If God Will Send His Angels" by U2. Anyway, I made my order, but after waiting over a month I got notice that the item was not available anymore. Was able to find it domestically (at an import price), so I was okay. But when the next one came out, I needed to get the single from the same country, so I tried it again.
    On November 2, I ordered the two "Walk On" singles that were being released in Australia on November 26th. I expected them to ship on the 26th or 27th, but they did not ship until December 9th, so I wasn't happy about that. But I got them today (the 18th) - 9 days to get from Australia doesn't seem to bad, and it only cost me $12.73 for the two cds, shipping and all! So is it worth it? Maybe next time I need an import I'll try a store in Canada or England - guess it depends upon the country of release!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Its probably more an issue with monatary exchange rates - an american dollar buys 2 aussie dollars, so we're coming out seeming dirt cheap right now.

Which is odd as we're doing very well economy-wise for now. Our economy has the strongest projected growth figures for the developed world right now. Go figure!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the canadian release date is primarily the same as the US release date, so that won't help you.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

One of the coolest things about the internet is being able to take advantage of exchange rates when shopping. I got a small engine from England last year for about 2/3 of what it would have cost me here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the pound-sterling is worth more than the american dollar. i don't think it's the exchange rate. it's gotta be the import cost.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The exchange rate is where you find the savings. The value of currency fluctuates more than the retail prices. It cost me all of $102 to purchase something that sold for ~87 Pounds. The Pound and USD aren't usually that close, so I was able to save a bit by ordering it form the UK rather than picking it up here in the States.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh, i get it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    i misread you the first time.