Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's a question I've never been able to answer.

If they tell you drinking a lot water daily helps you lose weight, then why are they also saying that the obese retain too much? What good is it to add more water, if you're trying to lose water in helping you lose weight?

I can't seem to figure it out. I know if you drink a ton of water repeated for a span of like 6 hours, you piss like you've been drinking beer.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from what i've been told, if you drink more water, you don't retain as much...don't know the reasoning behind it, maybe re-hydrating regularly means the body doesn't have to store water to avoid dehydration...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's an interesting answer....

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was reading another interesting article about how low-fat foods aren't doing any good. In fact, they seem to be a cause of cancer.

This whole article seems to be in favor of the Atkins diet, saying how well it works. High fat, high protein, no carbs.

We've had a whole thread on that though.

The whole water thing is still a mystery.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    from what i've been told, if you drink more water, you don't retain as much...don't know the reasoning behind it, maybe re-hydrating regularly means the body doesn't have to store water to avoid dehydration...
    Yes, that's the way I know it to be, too - basically, if you don't drink enough water, your body retains every last bit that it can, but when you start drinking enough (or more than enough) it becomes able to flush out what it doesn't need.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when you fill your stomach with water, it makes less room for food. so, people eat less.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You asked...

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.
    Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. What this results in is the body metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

* Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs -- plenty of water. Only then will stored water be released.

* If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy--just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium.

* The overweight person needs more water than the thin one. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water.

* Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contact and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight less--shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumbs the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.

* Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of--all that metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste. Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

* So far, they have discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss: The body DOES NOT function better. Retained water shows up as mainly excess weight. To get rid of the excess water, you have to drink more water.

We all know that water is important.
    Here are some documented facts:

* 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

* In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
    that it is often mistaken for hunger.

* Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism
    as much as 3%.

* One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for
    almost 100% of dieters.

* Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

* Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water
    a day could significantly ease back pain and joint pain
    for up to 80% of sufferers.

* A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
    memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on
    the computer screen or on a printed page.

* Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%; plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking as much water as you should every day?

* Last but not least, drinking water is essential to weight loss. Now, I thought how much water is enough? On the average, a person should drink eight glasses every day. However, the overweight person needs more for every 25 pounds of added weight. The amount that should be drunk also should be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot, dry and muggy.

* The water you drink should be COLD, it's absorbed into the system faster than warm water. The recommended basis for a drinking schedule follows: Morning, drink 1 quart of water over a 30 minute of time. Noon, drink 1 quart again of water during the 30 minute period. Evening, drink 1 quart of water from five to six or whatever your suppertime is.

A word of caution, if you stop drinking water it will throw your body out of balance again. You may experience that you may retain water, weight gain and a loss of thirst.

That's it! Drink up!

Copied from iVillage.com
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you drink alot of water over a short time, you can't absorb it all, so it acts like a diuretic, which in a sense is good for weight loss (not really recomended). It also has alot to do with your sodium intake, and many of these obese "water retaining" ppl have hypertension, which is correlated greatly fluid retention. Drinking way too much water is very unhealthy they say 8 glasses is normal, but nobody really does that. The best way to control diet with water is to also lower your sodium intake concurrently.
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Well, according to the info FabShad posted, I don't drink my water fast enough - I make a glass of water last a real long time! I try to drink a lot of water every day (and I drink almost 100% water now, except for the milk in my morning cereal and the occasional can of Coca-Cola) but I do get tired of peeing all the time!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Fab Shad knows her shit!

Also, laner's on to something. If you drink a glass of water before you eat, you'll be less likely to overeat at meals.

I think bottled water is a ripoff. I'm a big fan of the Brita water pitcher, though.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

In other weird news, my sister's friend had to go to the emergency room for OVERhydration. Only case I've ever heard of in my life.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think part of it is that as you substitute water for other beverages you consume fewer calories.

Just as a word of warning for you all, drink plenty of fluids. If you don't, kidney stones can start to form. Once they've started (no matter how much you drink afterwards), they'll continue to grow until they make the long, slow, painful journey out of your body. It's... unpleasant. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    I think part of it is that as you substitute water for other beverages you consume fewer calories.

Just as a word of warning for you all, drink plenty of fluids. If you don't, kidney stones can start to form. Once they've started (no matter how much you drink afterwards), they'll continue to grow until they make the long, slow, painful journey out of your body. It's... unpleasant. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Are you speaking from experience? I heard the samething. It's like pissing razor blades, or I guess, stones (pun intended). Given the size of the urine track, it must be hell. Ouch.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that alone is reason enough for me to go drink a gallon of water. yes, i know it's right before bedtime.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Pabs:
    Are you speaking from experience? I heard the samething. It's like pissing razor blades, or I guess, stones (pun intended). Given the size of the urine track, it must be hell. Ouch.
    Yeah, ouch is one way of putting it. I had mine three years ago. I didn't even suspect it when I first started feeling pains in my back. I was 23, and figured they'd go away. When they first started there was a bit of blood in my urine one morning, which set off some bells. I figured it was just a hit I took playing raquet ball the night before. That didn't happen again, so I just ignored the whole thing. The pain was a dull ache, and wasn't constant. No big deal. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not until I woke up at 4am a month later thinking I was giving birth! I've never felt such a sharp, grinding pain. I drove myself into the hospital. Turns out I had a stone about the size of a marble that was making its way to the bladder. There was absolutely no way that puppy was gonna pass. [img]smile.gif[/img] They broke it up and got it, and I've been careful ever since.

Sorry for the story, but I think it illustrates a point. You really haven't lived until you've seen a blood clot shooting out of your johnson!