Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, the past few days the power/cable/phone have been going here due to weather-related stuff. So, I was left to sit around and play guitar like mad and watch movies on the vcr coz no cable=no internet for me.

SO, I have watched The Empire Strikes Back about 6 times in a row now (don't wanna get up and ruin my concentration [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), and I just now realized something: Luke seems to have mastered his Jedi training in just a couple of days. I know the Force is strong with him, but let's get real here-that's just TOO quick.

Yoda begs Luke to stay to complete the training. Luke promises to return to finish it. Well, when he returns in 'Reurn of the Jedi' to see Yoda, Yoda tells him that there is no more training. So, he completed his training during Empire.

Let's see...Luke goes to Dagobah after the Battle of Hoth, while Han and co. BARELY escape the Empire for a while. So, while Luke is in the Dagobah system, this is what the others experience:

They temporarily evade capture by flying into an asteroid field. They go into that 'cave' to do repairs, only to leave VERY abruptly when the cave wakes up. They run into the Empire again, Han does the 'rest my ship on yours and then float away with the trash' routine, and decides to go to Bespin so Lando's people can fix the Falcon. The Empire is waiting for them, and they get captured.

Luke senses their danger and gets ready to go to their aid. He travels by X-wing, surely not a long-range craft, and he arrives before his friends are completely doomed.

Now, how long could he POSSIBLY have been training with Yoda? Two days? Three? It seems to me that Jedi training would take a LONG time (Yoda even said Luke was 'too old to begin training'), and Luke had MINIMAL training from Obi Wan (a couple of hours, tops). From what I gather from Episode One and what I've heard of Episode Two, Jedi training takes YEARS, yet Luke does it in an instant. Apparently even Anakin takes a decent amount of time to become a Jedi, and he was immaculately conceived by the Force.

Anyone notice this, or have an explanation? Yoda...I mean MacGuyver.....um, Glenn-any thoughts from you, since we all know of your Yoda status? ANYBODY??

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I used to be a real Star Wars fan. And then I saw Episode 1... it was worse than VH3, and I have no desire to see or read anything having to do with Star Wars again.

That said, the timeframe is left intentionally vague by Lucas, as is exactly what Luke's training consists of. Yoda warned him when he left that his training was incomplete, yet when he returns tells Luke that there is nothing left that he can teach him. I think the implication there was that Yoda was dying, and had no time to do further instruction.

The timeline between ESB and ROTJ is fuzzy as well. Luke could have mastered some of his skills during that time.

Want a good Star Wars story? Read Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. That's a story of the caliber that Episode 1 should have been.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, if the stories you mention were actually GOOD, then of course they wouldn't have used them for the new movies-I don't think the audiences would understand.

The ONLY thing about Epiturd One that was the least bit cool was when I found out (a week AFTER seeing the awful movie) that Palpatine was the Emporer, coz I had never known what his name was from the original movies. Other than that, it was easily one of the biggest wastes of movie dollars I have ever seen.

Given, they wanted a story to appeal to little kids, so they had to focus on a little kid in the movie. YAWN. A little too much planning for marketing, not enough planning for a real movie. They coulda summed up the entire Epiturd One in a 5 minute background intro to a REAL movie, but they wanted to reel in the kids. And from what I hear, the next one is mostly a chick flick about Anakin's baby-making. YAWN. Looks like the third movie is the only one with potential, and by the time it's out, nobody is gonna care.

It's a shame; the first 2 REAL Star Wars movies are among my all-time favorites, but even at age 9 or 10 I saw what was going on with Return of the Deadeye and those fucking Ewoks-pandering to a market of little kids to sell toys to. Thank god for Spaceballs I guess. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll check out the books you mentioned. I haven't much fiction (aside from the Fletch books) in about 15 years or so; the change might do me some good! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    The ONLY thing about Epiturd One that was the least bit cool was when I found out (a week AFTER seeing the awful movie) that Palpatine was the Emporer, coz I had never known what his name was from the original movies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, that part seemed like such a plot error to me. There are scenes with Yoda and those other fellas hanging out with the good Senator, and they can't sense that he's been playing around with the dark side? That sort of bugged me.

You'll not be disappointed in those particular books, Abe. I've read some of the other Star Wars books, and they all pale compared to Zahn's first three. There's a credible (and very, very cool) bad guy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Abe you must have been pretty bored as of late. LOL I don't try to over-analyze these movies, I just like to enjoy them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Wise is he who questions!

Wiser is he who need not question!

Wisest is he who accepts that every tick of the clock brings wisdom to question further!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Want a good Star Wars story? Read Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. That's a story of the caliber that Episode 1 should have been.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I read those books too, and I agree they are much better than Episode one. They take place after Return Of The Jedi. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I was disapointed in The Phantom Menace as well, it wasn't half as good as the original Star Wars movies.

[ July 11, 2001 at 10:59 AM: Message edited by: YankeeRose ]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Abe you must have been pretty bored as of late. LOL I don't try to over-analyze these movies, I just like to enjoy them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEP!! When the cable goes, so goes the tv and the internet, so I was stuck with the VCR. (g/f is away for 3 weeks, so it's a bit lonely here) So to say I was bored is an understatement! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Wise is he who questions!

Wiser is he who need not question!

Wisest is he who accepts that every tick of the clock brings wisdom to question further!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a true Jedi Master. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:

YEP!! When the cable goes, so goes the tv and the internet, so I was stuck with the VCR. (g/f is away for 3 weeks, so it's a bit lonely here) So to say I was bored is an understatement! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. That's terrible. I'm sure you kept her on the phone for a while then [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:

LOL. That's terrible. I'm sure you kept her on the phone for a while then [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PHONE???? First off, we had electrical storms worse than the ones the Emporer attacked Luke with, and second, I have Ameritech! (if you know anything about them, you know what I mean). Phone service is working for about an hour a day. And it seems to coincide with the vast majority of the population sleeping.

The WEIRD part?? I was talking to a friend the other day, wondering what would happen to people if they lost use of the TV and the Internet for a week. 3 days later, I was without for about a whole day. Actually, I was generally better off because of it! And since it goes on and off at will lately, along with the power (which SUCKS when the heat index is 101), I had a lot of time to play guitar and clean up around here during the blackouts. Next time, I may READ! (oh no....GASP) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh man, I feel sorry for ya. You were living like a caveman! LOL
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unga bunga! Ooga booga! Ugh ugh ugh! I do have an inordinate amount of body hair. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If only the pool here was open after 9 pm, I'd be set! Damn the rules...damn the rules...

UNGA BUNGA BUNGA!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Given how many of us feel about Episode I, who here is going to see Episode II in May of 2002?
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

*raises his hand*

Damnit, I didn't hate The Phantom Menace. Sure, it wasn't sex or even sliced bread, but let's step back for a minute.

The original trilogy has been so diefied since the '80s that there is NO way anything could have lived up to expectations short of God himself writing the screenplay for that thing.

Secondly, judging Phantom Menace before the other two parts of the trilogy come out would be unwise. Comparing a part of something to a complete story (Episodes 4-6) isn't really fair to Phantom Menace.

That said, if 2 and 3 suck, I'll call it as I see it - sucking. Until then I won't decide.

Now, along the "length of the Jedi training" deal, the Star Wars RPG game has this to say:

Jedi Guardian, like other classes, is divided into 20 levels. A jedi exists as a Padawin Learner until 7th level (almost halfway through the class), at which time he or she becomes a Jedi Knight. Jedi Master is achieved much later (exact level I do not recall).

Having seen Empire and Jedi enough, I'd wager that the time span between those episodes is greater than a few days. It seems the scene between Laia and Han in Jaba's... er, "villa," implies that Han has been in carbon freeze a long time.

I think the meaning of what Yoda says boils down to this. In Empire, Luke's skills as a jedi knight are still just blossoming. He's ripe for the Dark Side to seduce him, much like Anakin fell beforehand. Yoda fears that in visiting Darth Vader to save his friends, he will only excelerate this process - Luke isn't mature enough to handle the powers he has. But after facing down Darth and learning the truth, Yoda basically says he can no longer walk with Luke, Luke must face his own demons as the adult he has become.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."