Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the hulkamaniac brother was wondering that when you buy every dvd that is made and then they tell you dvd sucks and come out with a new technology, what you going to do? are you going to rebuy your entire movie collections again and again or are we as a people someday going to be satisfied with what we have and stop bying every remaster and every rerelease that comes on dvd just because it is a dvd. heck i was in a electronic sotre and the owner was telling me about some new type of media that is 10 times cleaner and clearer than dvd. now if dvd so great why is there better on the market already. can someone tell me what is the right thing? is it dvd or do we waste thousands of dollars to buy thousands of movies on whatever the enxt latest and greatest is?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ultimately they got you by the balls. Of course eventually there will be something cleaner and "better" out there that companies will expect the consumer to by. But just because that's teh case, that's not gonna stop me from going out and buying DVD's now, in the moment we are in. What are you gonna do then? Never buy anything new, for fear that it will be replaced/outdated in a few years to come? That seems equally as stupid to me!!

BC
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This'll piss you off! There's a "blue" laser DVD player coming out with new technology that puts the amount of information on current discs to shame. Just think: No more DVD box sets. 4 regular DVD discs are to fit on one singular "blue" disc.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Planned obsolesence sustains the industry, and quite a few like it. Computers, for instance. There's always going to be some guy who won't give up his 8-tracks until they're worn out, and will keep driving that '82 Chevette until it turns to dust.

If there's a perceived benefit to something new, people will buy it.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

LOL! I usually only buy DVD concerts, because of the improved sound. I only buy new movies on DVD if I REALLY like them. Also, DVD's are much too expensive to me to buy the same movies that own on VHS on DVD.

I think people that buy the same movies on DVD that they already own on VHS need to get a life. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    I think people that buy the same movies on DVD that they already own on VHS need to get a life. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Your a harsh man Yankee LOL!

I don't see any difference between upgrading your cassette/vinyl collection to CD, its the same thing. Lotta people really like their movies in the same way you like your music. And to a lot of people the bonus stuff on a DVD really makes the change worthwhile.

Be gentle to the movie men Yankee. They are people too. LOL!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I mostly buy things (I haven't already got) on DVD for 3 reasons.
    1 They're better quality and last longer
    2 I can fit more DVDs on a shelf then VHS
    3 Bonus features

Some of my old video tapes are starting to fuck up and soon I won't be able to watch them so I buy DVD now to avoid that later, but if it still works I'm happy with VHS quality.
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    This'll piss you off! There's a "blue" laser DVD player coming out with new technology that puts the amount of information on current discs to shame. Just think: No more DVD box sets. 4 regular DVD discs are to fit on one singular "blue" disc.
    Well, depends upon how they do it whether or not it will "piss me off" - if they design the player to be capable of playing existing DVDs, then that will be okay, however if it ends up being a totally non-compatible format and we're back to square one, yeah, that would be a drag!

Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    Nah, VHS is like audio cassettes - I don't like either. I never used to buy albums on cassette unless I already had the record and the price was real good - usually I'd just make my own tapes to play in the car. Now that the age of having a CD player in every car has arrived, there's no need to do that and I thank my lucky stars that all my albums (well, at least the ones on CD) are now portable!

Same goes for video tape - I hate tape - it wears out and soon you get lines going across the screen and other stuff - noises. If a DVD starts messing up, I should be able to clean it and be back to good as new, when a tape starts to wear out, there isn't a damn thing I can do, and if the machine decides to eat it...well, so much for that. I've only ever seen one CD get eaten in the 16-17 years or whatever I've been dealing with them, so that doesn't seem to be a common occurance. I can't wait for the day that everything that I currently have on VHS is able to be bought on DVD - my brother can have all my old tapes for all I care! Or my kids!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From what I read last Fall, they weren't planning on making these new "blue" laser DVD-players "backwards" compatible.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I read last Fall, they weren't planning on making these new "blue" laser DVD-players "backwards" compatible.
    Typical
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you know brother, the hulkamaniac brother has no problem with new technology itself. i have a problem with it forced down my throat. one person used a example of a car. if you like the car, it gets you where you want to go and is reliable why get rid of it. you do not get rid of your wife or husband simply because someone created a better model. i think the quality of dvd is god but if i decide down the line to get every dvd movie i am not rebuying them unless a disc gets messed up. it is the same thing as someone said with vinyl and cd. if you did not ruin your vinyl and you have a old stero than you are happy. not everyone out there is rich to be able to afford overnight to replace a movie collection of cassette collection of over a thousand titles. i dod not know how to do it, but my question still is the same, when is it too much?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by atomicpunk2001:
    quote:
    Typical [/QUOTE]I think they'll have to at some point, even if its not so at the point of release - if they don't make it backwards compatible it'll fail commercially. Noones gonna upgrade their library twice, its hard to imagine any improvements (other than playing time) that they can offer that current DVD doesnt. not any thats gonna sway peoples hip pockets.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They also said that about not having cd's being able to play on DVD back...get this over six years ago. DVD has been here for a long time. It's just picking up speed now though.

I bought my player in Dec 97, I cost about $450. And that was a low price then. Now you can get one for less than $50.

Tech has to come or we'll never get our flying cars.