Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Ok, not trying be a dick here; but why is the government giving the families of the WTC tragedy 500,000 dollars(They say this is for pain and suffering, and for lost wages). They are also getting breaks on their income taxes. They are also suppose to be receiving monies from various charities. And let's not forget the life insurance policies that have or will be paid out. Some of these families are probably looking at close to, or maybe even over, 1 million dollars in compensation.

I can understand the grief and pain these families are going through but I don't understand all this money going out to them. People and families throughout the country, every year (every day), lose loved ones unexpectedly. Does this mean they deserve $500,000 from the federal government? This truely boggles my mind. Everyone here who has read any of my post know I'm as patriotic as they come; but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that some people, and families, are taking advantage of a terrible situation for their own personal financial grain.

What about the family, in North Dakota, who suddenly loses their father/husband in car accident? Where's their $500,000?

What about the kids, in Tucson, Arizona, who lose their only parent in an industrial accident? Where's their $500,000?

What about the mother and father, in Kentucky, who lose their 3 kids in a house fire; where's their $500,000?

How about the family of CIA agent Johnny Mike Spann who gave his life for our country to help protect it from terrorism; where's his family's $500,000?

While I believe that it is neccessary to pump money into NYC to help it recover financially, and to help in the cleanup effort; I just don't see the reasoning for throwing around all this money to the victims' family. Call me cold hearted and uncaring(which would be greatly untrue) but I smell a scam going on. Something just doesn't seem kosher about this whole deal. Maybe I'm missing the boat on this. I just don't see the justification in shelling out all this money.

[ December 21, 2001 at 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Van Gully ]</p>
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

I just finished watching the news on this subject. And I'm still shaking my head. They gave this as an example of what the payments will look like: A 35 year man, who earns $200,00 per year, with a wife and two kids will get almost 4 million dollars(3.85 million was the amount stated). WTF?!? They(government) said they are compensating for the lost earnings he could have produced for his family in the next 30 years.

Here are my questions:

1) Is the government saying that the people of NYC lives are more valuable than other Americans?

2) Is the government going to start compensating all families in the U.S.A. when a member dies suddenly and/or tragically? And if not, why?
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's politicians trying to find votes and long-term loyalty, Gully.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.22.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard a little of Paul Harvey this morning while flipping stations on the way to work & he said some families were complaining they werent getting enough!

Sick......
    We haven't had any real contact with each other there because we don't like each other, Pierre, and that makes for some very colorful sparks, all right. And I've got to admit, and got to say that it's inevitable, that there would be a reunion, it's one of the most hotly anticipated reunions in the history of the sport, OK? I wouldn't be surprised if it was relatively soon, on our lifetime while our clothing is still in style hopefully! Ya know it's like my Dad said, always told me, "Don't be humble, you're not that good." Dave, November 13, 2001

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 548 Times in 329 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just another case of sick in the head politicians kissing babies. I have no problem with the Red Cross doing things, or fund raisers, but when the Government starts handing out money like that...
    Like the dude making $200k wasn't insured up the ass. And if he wasn't, the wife needs a kick in the head. Everyone should come together and help in a situation like this, but I'd like it to be my choice to give, not forced by the Gov't.

Test5150
    I was listening to the radio this morning and they were saying that the average payment will be something like $1.6 million per family. They said that some families will get less, however, because the amount is based on the person's income and the size of the family they were supporting. Also, if the family claims the money, they can't turn around and sue anybody later. One woman has already filed a suit against United Airlines, saying they were negligent in protecting their passengers. She, of course, will be ineligible for the compensation payment.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have to agree with Van Gully on this one. I was surprised when I heard this news. No one disputes that this was a horrible tragedy, but quite frankly these types of things are usually better left to appropriate charities and local communities. The idea of a "cash payment" from the federal government just doesn't sit right for me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I just re-read my prior post, and "kick in the head" sounds way too harsh, didn't mean it that way. I am trying to consider the fact that horrible tragedies happen every day, and no one involved in WTC is any worse off than anyone else who has lost a loved one to a druck driver, etc. The bottom line is, you have to take care of your family, and, if you don't...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Ok, just one thing to keep in mind that pops into my mind here.

The government is here to serve and "protect" right? In other words, we put our faith in the government to protect us from all enemies both foreign and domestic correct? We pay them pretty well for it too in taxes, and its one of the few things constitutionally that the government actually does with our tax money. So in this case, they failed to protect. So since we put the ball in there hands and dropped it (and yeah, I know its "hard" to forecast terrorism, but thats beside the point). That puts fault on our system of protection. Does that make them responsible for taking care of the families that lost their source of income in the WTC's? I think thats really the question. So thats the only defense I would give to Gully's question of "where is the money for the family that lost their husband in a car accident" or whatever. Driving that car was not something we made the government responsible for, so why would they have to pay it? Thats what insurance companies are for in the private sector, and they do get compensated based on the plan.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Good point, seenbad. But then where is the money for OK City families? Shit, that was a direct attack on the Government, WTC was an attack on our way of life.

Oh, and to inject a less than serious thought, since when has the Government given a fuck about anybody but themselves?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know what's hilarious??? If you make more moeny, they give you more money!!!!!!!!!

Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    You know what's hilarious??? If you make more moeny, they give you more money!!!!!!!!!<hr></blockquote>

That's capitalism, man. And it's a beautiful thing.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    You know what's hilarious??? If you make more moeny, they give you more money!!!!!!!!!<hr></blockquote>

Of course it works that way. It makes sense. Does a guy who makes $30,000/yr have a house with a $300,000 mortgage on it? As you make more money your expenses and costs of living tend to rise.

Seen, I don't agree with you that the government is liable for this. For the folks who died in the WTC it was just dumb luck. They happened to work there, and a couple of planes flown by terrorists hit their workplace. Wrong place/wrong time just like any other victims of crime. Should states pay people who died from speed-related car accidents? The state failed to effectively enforce the law there. Same principal, different scale.

There's so much emotion attached to this situation that people aren't giving it enough thought. Throwing excessive amounts of money at the families of the victims doesn't solve anything.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Same principle different scale maybe yeah, but wtc was an act of war. That puts it in a category you really cant compare to with a car accident and the police not enforcing the law.

And I didnt really say that the government was "liable" for this. I'm not sure what the correct wording would be, but they do have a responsibility appointed to them by us to protect the country. It was an act of war on our soil. They didnt protect. They hold our tax money. They gave some back to the families of those that cant provide for themselves anymore because they lost the income provider. I certainly dont see it as a "bad" way to use tax money....and boy I can sure think of worse being the conservative that you know I am.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by seenbad:
    And I didnt really say that the government was "liable" for this. I'm not sure what the correct wording would be, but they do have a responsibility appointed to them by us to protect the country. It was an act of war on our soil. They didnt protect. <hr></blockquote>

That would be a proper usage for liable. Your sense of responsibility seems skewed to me, though. It's not possible to protect against everything. Blaming the victim for not preventing the crime when there is no precedent is not sensible.

Take the money from the assets frozen by the government after the attack. That puts both the blame and the financial responsibility where it should be.