Register
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

My wife & I are strongly thinking about moving to Arizona.

Question:

What are some great areas to live in? (low crime, good schools, etc.)

Oh, and the closests place to see a Van Halen concert. (indoors or out)

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****I AM THE OLIVER STONE OF VHLINKS*****

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Where at in Arizona you thinking about? I live in the Valley of the Sun, good ol' Phoenix, Arizona. I am an Arizona native too.

So if you are looking for big city type atmosphere.....Phoenix is the place to be. We actually have several cities (suburbs if you will) that make up the Valley.

Phoenix
    Mesa
    Scottsdale
    Glendale
    Peoria
    Tempe
    Gilbert
    Chandler
    Fountain Hills

to name a few.

Metro Phoenix has all the big city requirements. Sports teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB plus the Arizona State Sun Devils), culture (symphony, ballet, theater), although I have been told by some people from the east coast we lack it....hey give us a break we are still a fairly new city!
    Freeway system is getting better finally!
    One of the busiest airports in the nation.
    Golf. Entertainment. Golf. Reasonable home market (although prices are climbing fast). Golf. Quite a few lakes nearby. Golf. If you want to see snow, you can drive a few hours north. Did I mention Golf?

So if I was to direct someone to places to move in Metro Phoenix, my choices would be North Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe.

If you are thinking smaller cities. Tuscon is a pretty nice city. About a 90 minute drive south from Phoenix. Home of the University of Arizona. Flagstaff is about a 3 hour drive north of Phoenix if you are looking for cooler temperatures (it snows during the winter)and it's close to the Grand Canyon. Prescott is nice too, it's about 90 minutes north of Phoenix.

Anyway, here's a link to the Arizona Chamber of Commerce that has links to most of the cities in Arizona. Check it out. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll see if I can answer them for you.
    http://www.accessarizona.com/partners/azchamber/

------------------
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ummm... I just got out of AZ! Hey, if you like non-stop traffic, really bad smog, and alot of rude people, (no offense to the nice one's), then Phoenix is YOUR town.

I'm from the midwest, (which I moved back to after two years in the "Valley of the Smog") and everything is more expensive. I.e., some of the highest car insurance rates in the country due to the highest stolen car rate! Homes=$$$$$$$, also. I didn't understand hot until I moved there. It's like over 100 degrees for about 4-5 months of the year! It takes the life out of you! Don't believe that, "but it's a dry heat," bullshit. It's HOT! Hope you don't have a black auto.

Things I liked about AZ:

* Some of the best golf in the world! (for $150-$250 a round!) Lower rates in summer however it's usually 110 degrees.

* The mountains. Alot of times you can't see them because of the smog!

* Sedona is very cool.

* Lots of things to do, it's a BIG city. I heard it passed San Diego for #6 largest in the country! (It also has a way under built highway system, traffic is really bad. Live close to work!)

* The Coyotes always lose to the Redwings in the playoffs!

* Winters are nice, too cold to swim though.

Well thats enough bagging on Phoenix. If you like big cities with lots of traffic and an expensive cost of living, it's for you! This is just my opinion. I'm sure other people will have better things to say. I did make life long friends there. It's a great place to go back to. Just not to live.

P.S., other places to look into in AZ: Sedona, Prescott, Payson, and Tucson. However, these places seem to be much more expensive then the Phoenix area. Jobs are more scarse in these towns with the exception of Tucson.

Hope I shed the negative light on AZ! Remember, just my opinion. Don't get pissy! MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

True......we do have our problems out here in Phoenix. But what big city doesn't?

Rude people? I guess it's because everyone is from somewhere else.

Yes it is hot here. Very f#@king hot for 4 or 5 months. But the other 7 or 8 months are why we all live here.

It is getting very expensive here. But the good news is.........we don't quite have California prices yet!

Smog, smog, smog........yep, there is no denying it.....we do have a pollution problem. Don't know what to do about that one. American's love their cars...especially out here in the west.

------------------
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

**sigh**

I really miss my desert......

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited February 12, 2001 at 02:10 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Thanks for all the input RXMAN & MO'

Golf sounds damn good to me.

What I have heard about Scottsdale seems real cool.

I know that real estate prices are still much lowere than they are here in the northeast.

I bought my house 3 years ago for $130,000
    Now I could sell it for almost $200,000!!!!

I saw some real estate adds on-line awhile back for Tuscon, and I could but a house there with a pool for $85-$100 thousand!!!!

I could then rent my house here for an easy $1,400 a month and live in AZ. essentialy payment free.

How cool is that?!!!!

But where do most bands play their concerts?

And I would never be a Coyotes fan, a Suns fan, a Cardinals fan, but I could be a D-Backs fan only because they are in the NL & my Red Sox are AL. (a Sox/D-back world series would be a tough choice though)
    Bruins, Celtics & Patriots are where my loyalties are.

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****Gary was Van Halen's mid-life crisis*****

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta love the D-Backs! That was really the only team I really liked out there. I forgot to mention they have one of the best ballparks in the country, hands down!

Rx, I agree w/ you. All big cities have problems. I was a dumb ass living in Gilbert driving to work in Scottsdale everyday!

Scottsdale is awsome. Wish I could live there but it's to damn expensive. If I ever get in to some $$$ I would love to live there or maybe retire in Fountain Hills. MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Most of the concerts that take place in Arizona occur in Phoenix. Tucson does get some shows, but it seems like they get left out of most tour rotations.

Some of the most used concert venues are:

Desert Sky Pavilion - West Phoenix
    Outdoor venue that holds about 20,000.

America West Arena - downtown Phoenix.
    Home of the Suns and Coyotes (for now, the Coyotes are supposed to get their own arena in Scottsdale). Lots of big acts play here.
    Holds approx. 20,000 for Suns games.

Veteran's Coliseum - old home of the Suns.
    Usually only used for state fair shows, but this used to be the only place in town for big concerts.

Sun Devil Stadium - on the Arizona State campus and home of Cardinals for now. They are starting to build a new stadium in Tempe a couple of miles away. (Just announced today) People like the Stones and Pink Floyd play here.

Lots of clubs that have all sorts of concerts around town. Cajun House in Scottsdale gets a lot of national acts.

Most of big ticket concerts are either at America West Arena or Desert Sky Pavilion.

------------------