Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Horrible as expected.
    Even tuning in to see Dave and Sammy wasn't worthwhile. They seemed too "forced". Eminem proved what a douchebag he really is by taking the whole thing way too seriously and wouldn't even take part in a stupid bit before a commercial break with that puppet-dog. One of his entourage pushed it away and muttered something about he already said what he had to say onstage. Christine Augilera has resorted to stealing. She stole Alicia Keyes' look, Britney Spears' breast implants, and Madonna/Tina Turner's idea of putting on a phoney accent, but instead of their fake British accent-she now talks like she's in a street gang. Big surprise of the evening came with the final performance of Axl Rose and his new band, Runs-n-Poses. The name says it all..... Though Axl was sweatily interviewed afterward and was once again evasive about just when that new record will come out. Basically, I videotaped the whole show and fast-forwarded through it this morning and stopped when I saw something remotedly interesting, so I might add some more thoughts when I watch it this weekend.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Guns N' Roses Rock The VMAs
    08/29/2002

(8/30/02, 2 a.m. ET) -- Guns N' Roses was a surprise performer at Thursday's (August 29) Video Music Awards. Fresh from playing shows in China and England, the Axl Rose-fronted band closed the nearly three-and-a-half-hour show with a long medley that began with "Welcome To The Jungle," went to an unnamed new song, and finished with the outro to "Paradise City," complete with dueling twin lead guitars from Buckethead and Robin Finck and a storm of confetti.

Speaking with MTV's Kurt Loder after his performance, Rose said the group was going back to the studio to continue work on it's next album, Chinese Democracy, and that it would be released only after Guns N' Roses kicks off the American leg of its world tour.

Rose also explained that it's taking so long to record the album and tour because he's trying to rebuild the once-great band with a new group of players, something that has never been attempted before. "How do you rebuild something that got so big? And how do you make a whole bunch a guys that were something else into something that already was. I don't know if it's exactly been done like this, and not with the intensity of these players wanting to play the material."

-- Bruce Simon, New York

GUNS N' ROSES Perform At VMAs, AXL ROSE Shuns Press Amid Plastic-Surgery-Gone-Wrong Reports - Aug. 30, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES' surprise performance at Thursday's 19th annual MTV Video Music Awards has received mixed reviews from fans of the hard rock group, with many of the band's longtime followers sharing the opinion that frontman Axl Rose's voice was in less-than-top-notch form as GN'R belted out a medley of "Welcome to the Jungle", a new song called "Madagascar", and the classic "Paradise City" at the close of last night's presentation.

Following the band's performance, Rose — sporting long braids and a bandana — told MTV's Kurt Loder that the wait for GUNS N' ROSES' much-anticipated new album, Chinese Democracy, will continue.

"You'll see [the album], but I don't know if 'soon' is the word," Rose explained to MTV News immediately after unveiling the current GN'R lineup to an American television audience for the first time.

"It will come out, and we'll do some more recording and start the American leg of the tour," he promised.

Thursday night's VMA performance marked GN'R's first since 1992, when the band performed "November Rain" with Elton John. The band remained largely off the map in the decade that followed, shedding members and bringing in fresh blood. Axl and his current lineup — which includes drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia, former REPLACEMENTS bassist Tommy Stinson and guitarists Buckethead and Robin Finck — have been working on Chinese Democracy for years.

"How do you make a whole bunch of guys into something that already was, and with this intensity of these players wanting to play this material?" Rose said of the delay.

To download a video of GN'R's VMA performance and Rose's post-show interview, visit The Lost Rose web site at this location.

In other news, the following item comes to us courtesy of today's edition of the New York Post:

Welcome to the bungle: Axl Rose appears to have pulled a Mickey Rourke and gotten enough plastic surgery to make him look more like a muppet than the sneering GUNS & ROSES frontman we know and love. The reclusive rocker understandably didn't want to, uh, face the press last night at his Video Music Awards after-party at the Old Homestead and barred journalists from attending. That's fine with us. We'd rather remember the way Axl looked when his rugged mug charmed the likes of Stephanie Seymour and countless big-haired groupies.[end]

Also on the GN'R-related front, former guitarist Slash recently told Rolling Stone that despite his well-publicized war-of-words with Rose following the pair's parting-of-the-ways several years back, he is actually looking forward to Axl's return to the music scene. "I think the world always need a GUNS N' ROSES, or else music gets too soft," said the guitarist whom Rose barred from attending a GN'R show in Vegas last year.. "I wish [Axl Rose and the new band] all the luck in the world, and I hope the album sells. I'd love to see them… if they let me in this time."

[ August 30, 2002, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Eminem Dogged By Moby And Puppet Amid Triumph
    08/29/2002

(8/30/02, 2 a.m. ET) -- Eminem's night at the 2002 VMAs was another career triumph for the rapper, and as usual, Eminem's appearance on the show was not without controversy.

Moments prior to best male video award presentation, Late Night With Conan O'Brien regular Triumph the Insult Comic Dog--puppeteered by comedian Robert Smigel--approached Eminem to see why he had it out for electronica artist Moby in the track "Without Me." Eminem's bodyguards cut off Triumph, and the ensuing fracas appeared to bother Eminem a bit.

Later, the Detroit native took the best male video award from presenter Christina Aguilera amid a chorus of boos. Halfway into Eminem's speech, the heckling grew louder, prompting him to address the situation. "The little Moby girl threw me out of my zone for a minute," he said. "Keep booing, keep booing, little girl. I will hit a man with glasses."

-- Chiam Chad Dougatz, New York

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Jimmy Fallon's Star Spoof, Michael Jackson & James Brown Open VMAs
    08/29/2002

(8/30/02, 1 a.m. ET) -- Host Jimmy Fallon opened MTV Video Music Awards on Thursday night (August 29), following Bruce Springsteen's performance, by spoofing Eminem, Avril Lavigne, Dave Matthews, and Enrique Iglesias, among others, with dead-on impersonations, but there was also plenty of real star-power. James Brown joined Fallon at the tail end of his medley, chanting the lyric "get on up" from his classic song, "Sex Machine."

It was all in the royal family as the "Godfather Of Soul" then threw the it over to the reigning "Queen of Pop," Britney Spears, who then presented the "King of Pop" with a triple-decker cake in honor of his 44th birthday.

During her introduction of Michael Jackson, Spears remarked, "He's a man I consider the artist of the millennium." After hearing her remarks, Jackson entered the stage and mistakenly thought he won an award for artist of the millennium. He went even further, clutching a trophy-like decoration that was next the cake and giving the following awkward acceptance speech. "When I was a little boy in Indiana, if someone had told me that one day I'd be getting, as a musician, the artist of the millennium award, I wouldn't of believed it. This is really amazing. I can't believe it," Jackson said. "Thank you so very much."

-- Chiam Chad Dougatz, New York

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'd have to say the hottest babe of the night would have to go to "Pink". She's got butter-face, but she's got a killer-bod. (I'm hoping to have some pics to post and we can rate 'em all)
    J-Ho takes herself waaaaay to seriously, but she's a close runner-up. Titney looked pretty hot in her Rob Halford-inspired outfit and Christina Augilera was mentioned above.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Waring, F.U.C.K
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As we watched the train wreck that WAS Guns N Roses, we were trying to figure out who the Axl Rose look alike was. Nice to see that the press has picked up the 'repair' work that he had done.

Eminem has WAY to many issues [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] ; do we need a Justin Timberlake/N'Stink spin off? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] (nice lip sync!) Pink is HOT! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] and drunk [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] Michael Jackson is a #$%-ing FREAK! and Sam & Dave/Dave & Sam..... Thanks for the great shows this summer. With the noticable tension there seems to be little chance of Sammy taking part in future 'sharing' events.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I forgot to add in that Advil/Avril chick with the tank-top and necktie. She's a little hottie and the Olsen Twins......wait they're not quite legal yet.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

It was also pretty sad (and not surprising)to see them give Lisa Left Eye Lopez a tribute and set up some fund for her. Why didn't they have a dry-out clinic fund in honor of Layne Staley's memory?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

07.04.07 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought GnR sounded good. Sure, Axl was out of breath, but he blew his wad running around like an idiot. That's the only reason why he didn't sound better. When he did catch his breath, he could still belt some very impressive high notes.

I expect his studio album to sound very clean.

As for live shows, he'll have to calm down so he can still sing (40 year olds can't run around and still sing like he does)
    "No band has come close to duplicating the original Van Halen's truly distinct blend of showbiz bravado and musical ingenuity -- certainly not the band that continues to call itself Van Halen, offering up countless botched reunion attempts and a string of marginal post-Dave albums, and packing arenas just the same." CDNOW

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    Why didn't they have a dry-out clinic fund in honor of Layne Staley's memory?
    Because he was in a rock-n-roll band. This is MTV we're talking about. If it ain't rap, punk, boy groups or teen queens, they aren't interested.
    And yes Hired Guns n Rose SUCKED.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the Pink sentiment - she was looking FIIIINE! As was Shakira! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Unfortunately I didn't stick around for the G-n-R performance. Other than seeing Sam n Dave, and the chicks (Pink, Brit, Olson twins , Kylie Minogue and Shakira [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] ) I couldn't stand to watch all the other crap on there.

I'm sure it will be rebroadcast 50 billion times, so I'll catch the pseudo-Guns performance sometime.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FH:
    Why didn't they have a dry-out clinic fund in honor of Layne Staley's memory?
    Because he was in a rock-n-roll band. This is MTV we're talking about. If it ain't rap, punk, boy groups or teen queens, they aren't interested.
    And yes Hired Guns n Rose SUCKED.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh yea, hearing about that pissed me off too. I have seen NOTHING on Layne in ANY music station. MTV had a whole weekend to the great musical genius of Left Eye , and not a blurb about Layne. I think they should have got Cantrell to come on and perform an Alice song. Now THAT would have made the show worth watching [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Holy shit, is that Michael Jackson thing true?! I watched it but I thought he was refering to some other award, one that actually ment that someone considered him the artist of the century?!

I was wondering what Jimmy Fallon was talking about after Michael went off stage, I will be watching this again, that's priceless! What a freaking crazy idiot!

Wasn't that bit on one of the Naked Gun movies?!

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Axl Rose sounded like a dog with its balls in a vice grip. GnR just lost a ton of ticket sales from that performance.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Out went the teen pop and in came the garage rock at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. But though bands like the White Stripes, the Hives, the Strokes and the Vines muscled boy bands and teen tarts off the ballots and the stage this year, there were plenty of other familiar flavors keep the regular VMA viewer from suffering pop-culture shock.
    Unlike the show-starting spectacles of previous years, this year's VMA show kicked off on a more introspective note. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's heartfelt performance of the title track from The Rising -- played on a rain-soaked stage outside the American Museum of Natural History -- served as a subtle reminder of the looming anniversary of 9/11.

But once the cameras moved twenty-seven blocks downtown to Radio City Music Hall, the VMA show was up to its old tricks again. Host and Saturday Night Live cast member Jimmy Fallon wowed the crowd with his song-and-dance skills as he parodied several of the evenings nominees. Deftly transforming from Robin-as-rapper (Eminem's "Without Me") to a Lego-fied rocker (the White Stripes' "Fell In Love With a Girl") to a tank-top-clad alterna chick (Avril Lavigne's "Complicated"), Fallon displayed the sketch-comedy skills that earned him the SNL gig. Unfortunately, as the night wore on, it became clear that his standup skills are considerably less, as his nervous-guy shtick drew more yawns than yuks.

The show's big one-two punch came early when, at the end of his opener, Fallon brought out James Brown. Shortly after, the awards officially got underway with Britney Spears bringing out Michael Jackson to celebrate his forty-fourth birthday. So what should you expect from a show whose opening acts are the Godfather of Soul and the King of Pop? Apparently, a lot of rock & roll.

Yep, good old-fashioned guitar-and-drums rock was the order of the evening. Pink -- betraying her moniker with a shock of raven hair -- started the trend, delivering her power-ballad "Just Like a Pill" backed by a full band. Later, dance-diva Shakira followed suit with her performance of "Objection." At one point flanked by two guitarists, she showed off some hip maneuvers that would have made Elvis blush, and later she even surrendered herself to the mosh pit.

But it was the "Battle of the Bands" between Sweden's the Hives and Australia's the Vines that really got the crowd's ya-yas out. Though it seems the Vines were the foregone winners as they got to play on the bigger stage, both bands unleashed some incendiary garage-punk with "Main Offender" and "Get Free," respectively. Hives frontman Pelle Almqvist proved he's watched enough Mick Jagger footage to expertly wield a mike stand, while Vines vocalist Craig Nicholls showed his allegiance to Pete Townshend and Kurt Cobain by tossing his guitar into Hamish Rosser's drum kit at the end of their song.

In keeping with the gritty rock & roll attitude, the fashion motif for the night seemed to be "enough black leather to outfit a gay-biker bar." Spears looked like she stepped out of a Helmut Newton photograph in her form-fitting dominatrix dress and cop cap, while Pink's leather hot pants and bat-winged half-top looked like a loan from Elvira's closet. Even girl-next-door Gwen Stefani sported a saucy, studded leather skirt. (Christina Aguilara, who apparently didn't get the memo, created her own navel observatory by harnessing her breasts with a scarf and wearing a skirt the size of a cocktail napkin.)

All this isn't to say that the show has lost its taste for pomp and circumstance. A conservatively suited Eminem performed "White America" behind a podium emblazoned with the seal "United States of Emerica," while a row of "legislators" pelted him with paper airplanes. Ja Rule and Ashanti -- dolled up in Zoot suit and flapper dress -- performed "Down 4 U" as a classic musical number. And Justin Timberlake made his solo debut by rising out of an oversized boom-box and launching into his upcoming R&B-flavored single "Like I Love You," while displaying some dance moves that showed he was paying attention when Michael Jackson made his cameo with 'N Sync at last year's VMAs.

But predictably, the biggest set piece came from P. Diddy who rose onto a platform via lift heralded by "Bad Boy for Life," then descended to the stage where he was joined by Usher -- dressed as Michael Jackson circa 1983 -- and a phalanx of dancers for "I Need a Girl." Always the showman, Diddy then brought on Busta Rhymes, Pharrell Williams and a troupe of acrobats for his show-stopping finale of "Pass the Courvoisier."

The show had its moving moments as well. The first came with the announcement of the formation of the Lisa Lopes Aids Scholarship, a $25,000 educational grant for students involved in the fight against AIDS. TLC members Tione "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas came onstage to thank the fans, somber and teary-eyed, and clearly still struggling with the loss of Lopes, who was killed earlier this year in a car accident.

The other moment came when former New York City Mayor Rudolph Guliani showed up to thank the music community for their support in the aftermath of 9/11. "Music has a very special way of bringing people together," he said, and introduced Sheryl Crow, who delivered the night's standout performance with "Safe and Sound," performed as a montage of images of New York and New Yorkers was shown on nearby TV screens.

Undoubtedly, the night's most surreal moment came when the show's finale brought Guns 'n Roses back from the grave. Gn'R 2K2 featured a robust-looking Axl Rose fronting a cast of refundable rockers that included ex-Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Fink, ex-Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, and masked guitarist Buckethead. This Frankenstein monstrosity served up passable versions of "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City," and an unnamed ballad presumably from their promised album Chinese Democracy.

Of course, there were some awards handed out between all this musical mayhem. Eminem walked off the winner with four moonmen -- though he also received the most boos when he announced that he's not above hitting a man with glasses, in reference to Moby. White Stripes were a close second with three, and grabbing two awards were No Doubt and Pink, who apparently "got the party started" early, announcing, "I'm too drunk for this," when accepting the award for Best Female Video.

As MTV gets ready to plan next year's VMAs, there's one "rock" artist they might want to add to the roster: Chris.

The winners:

Best Video of the Year: Eminem, "Without Me"
    Best Male Video: Eminem, "Without Me"
    Best Female Video: Pink, "Get the Party Started"
    Best Group Video: No Doubt, "Hey Baby"
    Best Rap Video: Eminem, "Without Me"
    Best Hip Hop Video: Jennifer Lopez featuring Ja Rule, "I'm Real (Remix)"
    Best R&B Video: Mary J. Blige, "No More Drama"
    Best Dance Video: Pink, "Get the Party Started"
    Best Rock Video: Linkin Park, "In the End"
    Best Pop Video: No Doubt, "Hey Baby"
    Best New Artist in a Video: Avril Lavigne, "Complicated"