Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

in the spirit of joel robinson and the satellite of love, i will point out one good thing i ran across, and one bad thing.

first, i heard on npr the other day that blad eagles have been spotted in 45 of ohio's 88 counties, and the state population reached a new high of three or four hundred (old man's brain) up from SIX at the end of the 70s.

those are great results from a great program, something that has protected what is part of america.

and for the negative piece, i found this column written by some floridian named bogert, i believe. it's a nice summation of a pro's opinion.

As veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas signed my program Thursday evening at the Society of Professional Journalists’ annual awards banquet, I said, “First time I ever asked a reporter for an autograph.”

“Thank you, dear,” she said, patting my arm. “Don’t lose heart.”

Those are words that should be engraved at the bottom of every journalism degree. That’s because I’m not sure that any business can cause a heart to be lost or broken faster than this. And Thomas probably knows this better than anyone because she began reporting in 1943.

Thomas, in case you’ve never seen a presidential news conference, is the woman who has haunted every U.S. president since JFK.

I can’t, in fact, recall a news conference where she wasn’t standing hawk-like, grilling men who clearly didn’t want to be grilled by anyone, especially a woman.

Thomas, by the way, is the woman who said, “Thank you, Mr. President,” at the end of her very first press conference in 1961.

That, I think, is a wonderful tradition that continues to this very day. It shows a little respect to make up for the kind of lack of respect we used to hear from shouters such as Sam Donaldson, the man Ronald Reagan could never quite hear.

[clipped by me]

Keep in mind that Thomas came up in the bad old days. Unlike Thursday night, when four of five honorees were women, she spent decades proving herself to the male hierarchy.

As late as 1972 she was the only woman on the Nixon China trip. Still, she survives in a Washington press corps that she says has gone soft, accepting presidential spin without question.

There was a lot of that in her speech, this talk of devaluation in the character of leadership. Not surprisingly for an admitted liberal, she held her greatest praise for John Kennedy, the only president in her estimation who made Americans look to their higher angels.

Then came Johnson’s Great Society and Vietnam. Nixon, she said, was a man who would — when presented two roads — “always choose the wrong one.” He was followed by “healing” Ford, well-meaning Carter, Reagan’s revolution, Bush Sr.’s self-destruction and Clinton’s damaging of the presidential myth.

She seemed to have sympathy and affection for everyone but George W. Bush, a man who she said is rising on a wave of 9-11 fear — fear of looking unpatriotic, fear of asking questions, just fear. “We have,” she said, “lost our way.”

Thomas believes we have chosen to promote democracy with bombs instead of largess while Congress “defaults,” Democrats cower and a president controls all three branches of government in the name of corporations and the religious right.

As she signed my program, I joked, “You sound worried.”

“This is the worst president ever,” she said. “He is the worst president in all of American history.”

The woman who has known eight of them wasn’t joking.

sorry for the long clip, but it tickled me for obvious reasons. on one hand, you could blow off what this lady says by simply calling her a liberal and assuming all her views must be somehow suspect, or you could say, this woman knows her shit after forty years at the same job. she may vote for one side, but she treats both gives both sides respect and tough questions. so what's different about george w. bush from his predecessors? i think a lot of republicans and democrats already know.

10.10.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts

FERNANDO ?...

Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post