Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Holy Shit!!! From Time.com

Worried that the pollution from blown oil installations will clog up complicated detection equipment and make it difficult to pick up deadly chemicals and nerve agents, U.S. marines and soldiers will drive into battle across the dusty plains of Iraq with caged chickens atop their Hum-Vees.

The chickens, which were otherwise destined for Kuwaiti dinner tables, will work in the same way as canaries in coal mines used to. Small traces of poisonous gases or chemical agent will kill the birds and warn troops to put on their gas masks. "A sky full of oil can mask some chemicals," says Warrant Officer Jeff French, a nuclear, biological and chemical officer for a marine battalion in Kuwait. "Using chickens may sound basic but it's still one of the best ways we have of detecting chemical agent."

Dubbed Operation Kuwaiti Field Chicken (KFC), the use of chickens is sure to enrage animal activists. But chickens were used to detect for chemicals during the first Gulf War and, says French, consider that the alternative may be dozens of dead troops. Consider too that marines and soldiers will face nerve-racking moments with or without chickens. U.S. troops in Kuwait have been training to fight and live in their protective suits but at some point after a chemical attack they will have to take them off.

After testing for chemicals, one or two men — usually of different sizes and races — will remove their masks in a "selective unmasking." Those who keep their masks on will study the skin and pupils of the unmasked for symptoms of lingering airborne chemicals. "Using chemicals is a really unfair way of fighting," says French. "The best way to describe it is if I blindfolded you and came and kicked you in the groin as hard as I can. It's just not fair. But whatever Saddam throws at us, we'll be ready."

Chickens willing ...
    That's some patriotic yard bird [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Is that for real?

In other news, I heard today that we think saddam may have his bio wmd's on board ships in the indian ocean. They left various ports after the UN resolution in December and have been floating (appearantly) for no reason and with no specific destination ever since then. It would be illegal to board and search in international waters while they are flying the proper flags. Makes pretty good sense to me. There could be a gigantic smoking gun there. Only thing I'm worried about is that its in the press that we are on to it. If its true, and he dumps them in the ocean it could have some catastrophic effects on the environment around there.

Should be interesting to see how this develops...

[ February 19, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

mmm, mmm, mmm... finger lickin' good
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does that come with 'taters & slaw? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

somewhere gonzo the great is spinning in his grave

seen, i saw an article from the independant about those three ships too. maybe it would be illeagal to board them, but from what i understand they are currently breaking maritime law by maintaining radio silence and registering no port destination. the environmental impact would be pretty terrifying, but if they find a way to nab them, and if it's saddams arsenal, then it was nice of him to put all his eggs in one basket for us.

[foghorn leghorn voice] "eggs? chickens? i made a funny, boy and you ain't laughin'!" i'd paste in a picture of foghorn, but i'm too lazy.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Chicken lips sink ships??
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by seenbad:
    Is that for real?

In other news, I heard today that we think saddam may have his bio wmd's on board ships in the indian ocean. They left various ports after the UN resolution in December and have been floating (appearantly) for no reason and with no specific destination ever since then. It would be illegal to board and search in international waters while they are flying the proper flags. Makes pretty good sense to me. There could be a gigantic smoking gun there. Only thing I'm worried about is that its in the press that we are on to it. If its true, and he dumps them in the ocean it could have some catastrophic effects on the environment around there.

Should be interesting to see how this develops...
    That's fucked!